• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The proverbial tale of two nines....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
47 degrees, this morning, when we teed off. Sustained winds of over 25 mph, with gusts to almost 40 mph. Temp dropped to 41 during the round and the winds remained strong. We have a winter cover on our cart. That makes the cart's dynamics similar to a large cardboard box. A couple of times the cart was leaning as if we were in a carnival ride.

On 13, one of the group commented "Ya know. We're the only three out here! Do ya think we might be as crazy as our wives say we are?" There was one other group of 4 about ready to go off as we finished. They must have waited until enough alcohol could be consumed to mitigate the effects of the winds and temps.

The front was a disaster. The ball would move on the green. Usually you have to adjust your putting stroke for uphill or downhill. This morning, if you were putting into the wind, you needed to smack the heck out of the ball. Otherwise, the wind would bring it to a sudden stop.

Struggled to a 49 on the front. Had fears of shooting in triple digits. Completely changed tactics on the back. I would punch a 5-hybrid from 100 yards. I tried to play each hole as if I wanted to bogey it. Swing easy into the wind. Swing easy with the wind. I have a 5 wood that I can always hook. If the wind was blowing left to right, I'd hit that 5-wood off the tee and let it climb along the wind wall. Right to left wind... I'd set up to hit a big cut with the driver. The other guys began asking me how I could keep balls straight off the tee. On a calm day, I'd have been two fairways away off the tee. I left the short wedges in the bag. Putted from anything within 5 yards of the green. Trying to hit a finesse wedge shot when the entire body was swaying was impossible. Putting the ball worked so much better.

Had two birdies on the back. Carded a 39 in winds equaling the score. And, I wasn't the one keeping score!!!! :>) The scorekeeper added and readded to make sure. Shoot, I have to work hard to shoot 39 on a nice day.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Jim, did you get covered with the deep snow that hit the East Coast?

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Supposed to be 72 here by Friday. Last round I played I went out in 54, came home in 40. Game never ceases to amaze me.

🔥 Latest posts