• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The putting Thread.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I started putting a lot better last round when I let the tension go. Similar to a full swing shot, don't "hit" the ball. Once I let all the tension out of my arms and hands, just let the putterhead flow and release, my distance control got so much better. This was at the private course as well, those greens are about twice as fast as the average course I play.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Once I let all the tension out of my arms and hands, just let the putterhead flow and release, my distance control got so much better.

Same thing I'm working on EZ.Also helping me

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Tension is bad for golfers...i have a hard time with letting the tension go also...mostly while i have driver in my hand, but it creeps in during my putting stroke too....i do alot better also when i have little or no tension

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
My latest putting development

Long time since posting - new baby in the house. Anyway, I've been working on my green reading because I had been missing putts like crazy. So here's what I did:

1) Found a putting green that had some really tough breaks on it. Found the hardest spot and put a tee in the ground. I took five balls and laid them out about 2-3 feet apart starting at approx 5 feet away. Put them in a line. I read the green from each ball and then putted each one in sequence from closest to most distant. If I missed the putt, I stayed at that ball until I made it. When all four were in, I changed the angle and repeated. I did this for a week. At the end of the week, I was reading most breaks right. To check myself I found a second location and repeated the lesson (to make sure I just wasn't learning that particular spot rather than reading the break). I developed a feel for how grain affects both speed and break.

2) Started lining up my putts with the marks on the ball. I found that when I read the break, and then set the ball mark on my intended line I could forget about the hole. All I had to do was roll the ball on the line. I also realized that I was making unconcious changes to my line when standing over the ball because at first I kept doubting the line on the ball because it looked off. However, I decided to trust it.

The result, on my last round I one-putted from 8 feet or so 6 times. I birdied 2 holes with 15+ foot putts. All were when I trusted the line. When I didn't trust the line, I missed badly. When I trusted the line, if I missed it was by a fraction of inches. I also found I didn't pull or push my putts.

Thats my .02
Lemonhead

RandomAdmirer

May 6, 2008
Hey guys,

I recently wrote a short ebook on putting and was curious if anyone is interested in reviewing it and commenting on it.

Hopefully you get some tips from it and I get some comments if I covered enough ground and how to make it better. Seems like there are lots of people here who know things that I don't so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Please PM me if you're interested.

RA

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.