• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Putting Thread

Rate your skill with the flat stick

• Total voters

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
How do you Stack Up?

From THE LOST ART OF PUTTING by Gary Nicol & Karl Morris

39014975_898151187043259_3219347390175641600_n.jpg

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Actually probably pretty close. My problem is I tend to leave putts short and as we know 100% of putts that don’t get to the hole don’t go in.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I chose the last one "What's Putting?" Have never seemed to be able to accurately read greens. My speed and line are good. I lip out dozens of putts or run them right over the edge of the hole. Just this morning, the guys were in amazement at some of my long putts that "should have" gone in and some of my short putts that I pulled, pushed... anything that would make the putt miss by a hair's width.

If I didn't have to putt, I'd be a pretty good golfer!:D:D:D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Actually probably pretty close. My problem is I tend to leave putts short and as we know 100% of putts that don’t get to the hole don’t go in.
Well, using the above chart, pros are going to miss more than they make outside 7 feet. If you are outside 7 feet, you are probably better off coming up short inside two feet than going too far. The Pelz theory was to have the ball stop 17 inches beyond the hole, problem is that if your distance control is off your odds of staying within a high perctage makable second putt go down fairly rapidly if you go a few feet long. I prefer to use the Harvey Penick method of dieing the ball at the hole. A putt going beyond the hole has a narrower window of dropping in the hole than a putt that dies at the hole. Also, if your distance control is off by 2 feet either long or short, your still in the 99% window of making the return putt. Now, if your in a match play situation, things change if missing the comebacker is irrelevant, but in stroke play you are probably better off having the ball die at the hole.

At the amateur level, I am guessing that those percentages drop off at an alarming rate the further you get from the hole.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Well, using the above chart, pros are going to miss more than they make outside 7 feet. If you are outside 7 feet, you are probably better off coming up short inside two feet than going too far. The Pelz theory was to have the ball stop 17 inches beyond the hole, problem is that if your distance control is off your odds of staying within a high perctage makable second putt go down fairly rapidly if you go a few feet long. I prefer to use the Harvey Penick method of dieing the ball at the hole. A putt going beyond the hole has a narrower window of dropping in the hole than a putt that dies at the hole. Also, if your distance control is off by 2 feet either long or short, your still in the 99% window of making the return putt. Now, if your in a match play situation, things change if missing the comebacker is irrelevant, but in stroke play you are probably better off having the ball die at the hole.

At the amateur level, I am guessing that those percentages drop off at an alarming rate the further you get from the hole.
I'd agree on the amateur level but I'd rather miss a foot long than a foot short. A foot long I give myself at least a chance of making it. Short putts never go in.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I'd agree on the amateur level but I'd rather miss a foot long than a foot short. A foot long I give myself at least a chance of making it. Short putts never go in.
If your good enough to always judge your distance within a foot, I would agree. I am not good enough to always leave my putts within a 1 foot ring around the hole. Within a 10 foot radius, I could probably have a high percentage of leaving it within a 1 foot ring. As the distance increases, the percentage would drop off substantially.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
If your good enough to always judge your distance within a foot, I would agree. I am not good enough to always leave my putts within a 1 foot ring around the hole. Within a 10 foot radius, I could probably have a high percentage of leaving it within a 1 foot ring. As the distance increases, the percentage would drop off substantially.

I’m not saying I am and I agree with you. My original comment was saying my miss with the putter tends to be short.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
When I was watching coverage today the commentators were discussing Stenson’s slide and how it corresponded with his poorer putting stats. It always does.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
When I was watching coverage today the commentators were discussing Stenson’s slide and how it corresponded with his poorer putting stats. It always does.

Absolutely. My buddy sprayed balls all over the course today but probably made 200 ft of putts. Result: He picked the rest of us like chickens.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I love my Cameron. Looks great. The carbon steel head has a really soft feel. Have bagged it for most of the past couple of years. Love that putter. Just cannot make putts with it.
Got that new Bettinardi. Wow! Just as soft a feel as the Scotty. The F.I.T. milling puts a great roll on the ball. The putter is heavy and just "flows" through the stroke. Have probably got ten rounds with it. Just cannot make putts with it.
Put an old Anser 4 stainless in the bag a couple of rounds ago. Left those two high-dollar, high-society, beauty beyond belief putters in the basement. Have carded my two best rounds of the year with the old Anser. The putts are falling again. Go figure.
This is the most frustrating, mind-boggling game ever invented!!!!

🔥 Latest posts