• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Putting Thread

Rate your skill with the flat stick

• Total voters
OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The probability of a PGA Tour player of making a 1, 2 or 3 putt.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1585569147.037107.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I love my Cameron. Looks great. The carbon steel head has a really soft feel. Have bagged it for most of the past couple of years. Love that putter. Just cannot make putts with it.
Got that new Bettinardi. Wow! Just as soft a feel as the Scotty. The F.I.T. milling puts a great roll on the ball. The putter is heavy and just "flows" through the stroke. Have probably got ten rounds with it. Just cannot make putts with it.
Put an old Anser 4 stainless in the bag a couple of rounds ago. Left those two high-dollar, high-society, beauty beyond belief putters in the basement. Have carded my two best rounds of the year with the old Anser. The putts are falling again. Go figure.
This is the most frustrating, mind-boggling game ever invented!!!!

Isn’t it funny? I have a Nike Method Mod 60-think Odyssey #9 style head. Bought it at 33” and 360g headweight for $85 brand new on close out a few years back from Global Golf. I putt really well with it. Being the club Ho that we all are I dexiddd to try a Scotty Del Mar that I like the look of. High dollar putter, looked great putted just ok with it. Moved in to an Odyssey Toulon in the same style, was really excited to try another high dollar sweet looking putter. Looked great, felt clicky and had no feel. Needless to say I didn’t putt well with it, lasted all of two rounds.
Safe to say the Nike is back in the bag and safe there, looking for another to have as a backup. And at roughly 1/3 the cost of the other 2.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Isn’t it funny? I have a Nike Method Mod 60-think Odyssey #9 style head. Bought it at 33” and 360g headweight for $85 brand new on close out a few years back from Global Golf. I putt really well with it. Being the club Ho that we all are I dexiddd to try a Scotty Del Mar that I like the look of. High dollar putter, looked great putted just ok with it. Moved in to an Odyssey Toulon in the same style, was really excited to try another high dollar sweet looking putter. Looked great, felt clicky and had no feel. Needless to say I didn’t putt well with it, lasted all of two rounds.
Safe to say the Nike is back in the bag and safe there, looking for another to have as a backup. And at roughly 1/3 the cost of the other 2.
But... But... But... Some of us ain't quite as smart as you! The old Anser 4 was working well. Then I spied a shiny Cameron that is the same design as an Anser 4. Had to have he "bling". The shinier a putter is, the better it will putt!! And, honestly, putting well with the Cameron. Traded the Betti for it. The owner of the local Golf USA, where I traded it, put my Betti in his bag and loves it. It's sorta like we live on this merry-go-round of club buying/selling and the durn thing just won't stop!!!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Just wondering ... how many of us have increased our putting practice during the Coronavirus lockdown?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My putting set up at home. Getting more of a workout in these locked down days.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1585865139.828059.jpg

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
As someone who gamed anser style putters for years, I’ve been completely won over by my Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 Putter. All of the anser putters have been sold. Heck, I’ve even regripped my Wilson Staff Kirk Currie IV to use as my living room practice putter.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1599896028.551140.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1599896041.739273.jpg

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
As someone who gamed anser style putters for years, I’ve been completely won over by my Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 Putter. All of the anser putters have been sold. Heck, I’ve even regripped my Wilson Staff Kirk Currie IV to use as my living room practice putter.
View attachment 32162View attachment 32163
Damn dude, didn't even offer me one of your ansers...for free...including shipping.

What is so much better about the Odyssey besides sinking more putts (which is obviously the ultimate goal)? Feel, weight, confidence?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
What is so much better about the Odyssey besides sinking more putts (which is obviously the ultimate goal)? Feel, weight, confidence?

Two main features, MC. Firstly it lines up beautifully with the various aids including the lines on the weighted alignment fangs. Secondly, and most importantly) it’s balance. It seems to come into the slot repeatedly (if you can say that about a putter). Miss hits are at a minimum. Consistency of direction repeatedly. The stroke Lab shaft with the carbon insert seems to work. It takes weight out of the shaft to ensure that with the weight at the head and grip doesn’t make the putter too heavy. Definitely more putts being sunk. It’s the favourite club in my bag.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Back using a mallet putter. Had bagged the Anser 4's most of the season, with an trial run once in a while with my GoLo or the Cleveland Frontline. I will never be a good putter, but have to be able to make the short putts. I will chip it close or I'll lag a long putt close. Gotta make those 3 to 5 footers. The mallets seem to line up better, but just didn't seem to have the same feel/confidence. The Frontline was produced with a Lamkin hugemongous grip that was, probably, their shot at copying Super Stroke. It was ungodly heavy and you could not feel the putter head. I changed to a Super Stroke which was about half the weight as the Lamkin. Woke the Frontline up. Now the head seems to 'flow' better. It has been working well this past week. Will it continue? If it has the same ability to possess an "attitude" on a moment's notice... I doubt it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm shopping for a new putter but now certain heads are for "straight" strokes, some are for slight "arc" strokes and then there are some for bigger "arc" strokes. ????????????????? This one is sold out so it must be good and I think it will work with my "straight" stroke. :(:confused::rolleyes:o_O:eek::poop::oops:

HUNTINGTON BEACH SOFT 10.5 PUTTER

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I just bought a TM Ardmore 3. Been using a Toulon #9 style and it feels great but I haven’t made a putt in weeks. Needed a change. Haven’t ever really used a mallet style and it is easy to line up. Came with a super stroke grip which I tend to hate, but I gave it two rounds. Nope. Ripped it off and put a golf pride pistol grip on it. Gonna see how it does this weekend.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I just bought a TM Ardmore 3. Been using a Toulon #9 style and it feels great but I haven’t made a putt in weeks. Needed a change. Haven’t ever really used a mallet style and it is easy to line up. Came with a super stroke grip which I tend to hate, but I gave it two rounds. Nope. Ripped it off and put a golf pride pistol grip on it. Gonna see how it does this weekend.
I am a firm believer in you have to find a grip that 1.) let's you feel the putter head, and 2.) feels right in your hand. I've tried the SS grips on blade putters with zero luck. Currently have SS's on both my mallets, but they aren't "just any" SS. I can't stand the hugemongous SS grips. Heck. You can hardly see the putter head because the grip is so large!! OTOH, SS's are lighter than many oversize grips and I can feel the mallet head better than with heavier grips. IOW... One size doesn't fit all! Hope you get along well with the new putter!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I am a firm believer in you have to find a grip that 1.) let's you feel the putter head, and 2.) feels right in your hand. I've tried the SS grips on blade putters with zero luck. Currently have SS's on both my mallets, but they aren't "just any" SS. I can't stand the hugemongous SS grips. Heck. You can hardly see the putter head because the grip is so large!! OTOH, SS's are lighter than many oversize grips and I can feel the mallet head better than with heavier grips. IOW... One size doesn't fit all! Hope you get along well with the new putter!

Putted ok with it today, made a putt here and there. My lag putting was a little better. We’ll see how tomorrow goes!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.