• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Random Thoughts Thread

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I have two cast iron pans. One is a regular 10" that is probably 80+ years old. It was my great-grandmother's then my grandmother's, then mine. It probably has 1/4" of seasoning on it already :p

The other is a brand new Loge flat-ish pan with a ridged bottom for collecting grease I guess. I don't know why I bought it, it's a bitch and a half to clean.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have two cast iron pans. One is a regular 10" that is probably 80+ years old. It was my great-grandmother's then my grandmother's, then mine. It probably has 1/4" of seasoning on it already :p

The other is a brand new Loge flat-ish pan with a ridged bottom for collecting grease I guess. I don't know why I bought it, it's a bitch and a half to clean.
You have pictures of your Grandma's pan? I'm interested in vintage pieces, would love to see it. Especially if it has a brand marking on the bottom, but even if it doesn't. I didn't inherit any pans from my family unfortunately.

I believe your other pan is a 'grill' pan that is essentially designed to give the grill marks to meat without having to fire up the grill. You're right though, they're a royal pain to clean. I received one as a gift at one point and it has not been used.

My main 'user' that stays on the stove 99% of the time is a Large block logo Griswold cast somewhere in the 20's or 30's. No real way to determine more specific than that. But it's close to 100 years old at this point and it's great. Other than that one I have a probably 20 year old large Lodge 15" pan that I use for when I need to make a bunch of sausage gravy. I have a bunch of other pans that are more just collection pieces or pans I bought to re-season and sell (but haven't gotten around to it). I used to flip cast iron a lot...but lost interest a bit. Kinda like golf.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I have a bunch of other pans that are more just collection pieces or pans I bought to re-season and sell (but haven't gotten around to it). I used to flip cast iron a lot...
Did you sand blast them and reseason? I'll try to remember to get a few pics of my old pan. If I remember correctly, the bottom just says the size and "made in usa" or something. No branding, I think.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Did you sand blast them and reseason? I'll try to remember to get a few pics of my old pan. If I remember correctly, the bottom just says the size and "made in usa" or something. No branding, I think.

I bet sand blasting would probably work, but I would be worried that the finish would be too rough on the older pans. Unlike new production cast iron, the old stuff, was ground smooth on the cooking surfaces (and all surfaces depending on manufacturer).

There's a couple ways to take pans back to bare cast iron:
1. Self cleaning oven cycle
2. Oven cleaner in a bag for a week or so
3. Lye bath
4. Electrolysis

I go with the self cleaning oven method. Works pretty slick. Stinks though...so I have to do it when I can leave the windows open in the house. I don't like putting chemicals on the cast iron, plus it takes longer and is more labor intensive. Electrolysis is for pans with more rust than just seasoning issues.

After the self cleaning oven cycle it's bare iron. I wash it and usually do about 3 seasoning cycles.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Everyone in my office got a 1/4-zip long sleeve golf shirt (with a company logo on it) and I was like, "Nice" and then I saw it's a Greg Norman shirt and now I want to find another job
You know, if you're not going to wear it and it fits me... 😁

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
How do yawl season your cast iron or carbon steel cookware?

Can't wait to tell you how you're wrong and you should feel ashamed of yourselves.
Still cannot understand the reasoning for using cookware from the horse pulled farm implements! Guess maybe should have kept some of the grandparents' cookware like I should have kept their '49 DeSoto!! My wife would have had a couple shoulder replacements if she'd have had to lift those antiques over the 57 years of our marriage. Radio Shack Tandy computers, anyone? 5 1/4" floppy discs?? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Handed over the gavel, last night, ending my year as President of the Board at our golf club and my six year run on the Board of Directors. When I retired in '17 at 70 years old, said if I wanted to gripe and whine about anything...try to be part of the solution. Ran for the Board and got elected to a 3-year term. At the end of that 3 years, was reelected to a second term. 6 is long enough!!!

When I was elected, we had just got past a run of bad boards. "If we keep anyone on staff longer than 2 years, we'll have to pay the too much!" Staff had zero benefits. No vacation, sick leave, insurance, etc. And, course conditions reflected that attitude.

Today, our membership has gone from about 290 to around 410. We are known to have the best staff in the NE section of our State. We have remained very profitable, even though other courses in the area have suffered. Our 2024 budget is close to $2 million.

The existing maintenance shop had 4' of water in it during the '93 flood. It is falling down. Can't get all our expensive equipment inside. Way past due to be replaced. Starting with a napkin drawing in 2020, suspending any moving forward in 2021 due to construction costs skyrocketing, we are just completing our new $500,000 maintenance facility. Should have our occupancy permit inspection the week after Christmas. 50' X 120' preengineered metal building. 50' x 50' shop space, including office, reel grinding room, break room and restrooms. 50' X 70' equipment storage space. Exterior wood burning furnace that will take 32" logs.

Up until January 2022, we were treating our own potable water. I had handled the chlorination and testing required by the State. Iron concentration from the well had increased and we were fighting that. Our representative from KDHE became a pain. We were finally able to work things out with the City to have them extend their water to our clubhouse through an equitable agreement. We are out in the County, not in the City. Just as we were ready to begin construction and had our $250 County building permit, we were informed that our connection to the City water system required a City building permit. Permit went from $250 to $3,500!!! And, a young plan reviewer who has a power trip. I don't deal well with these type people. Went around him to a City Commissioner. Worked the political side and got things off dead center.

So, finally, fully retired at age 77!!! Now, rather than only 6 or 7 days/week on the course, maybe can make certain it's all 7 days!!!! Life is good!!!!

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Wife and I met Henry Winkler last night. You will never find a more honest, genuine human being. An absolute sweetheart.

0JcZvaw.jpg

🔥 Latest posts