• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Random Thoughts Thread

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
My three-year term on our course Board of Directors expires this year. Annual membership meeting last night. I was elected to a second three-year term. In addition, the proposed new maintenance operations facility was approved to move forward. Guess who the bank has listed as 'Project Manager'??!! Sounds like my busy retirement life may become a little more chaotic as I take on a $400,000 construction project. My wife just shakes her head... and smiles. "Great! I can look forward to MORE time you're out of the house and not under my feet!!" The voices in my head had a staff meeting and, in unison, want to fire which every one of the voices seemed to think this is a good idea!!
So far I've spent three hours on the phone with county building officials. Sheesh! Gotta submit paperwork and forms to three different county agencies before they will issue a building permit. Each of those departments has its own fees, varying from $150 to $250. One form requires an engineer/architect stamp. Another requires an elevation certificate signed by a licensed surveyor. Left a voice mail for one department head. He called back and began by telling me how busy he is. 45 minutes later he was still talking. Heard about where he lived, when he built his home, where he went to school, when he plans to retire, the vehicle he drives, and other things I was able to blank out. Busy??? Get off the phone and do some work!!!
Sent RFP letters to four engineering firms. Have had call backs from three with questions. Those responses are due by 12/15. Met with contractor, yesterday, to coordinate soil sampling for the septic system lateral field. I had just left the course after playing our 18. About a mile towards home cell phone rang. Turned around and went back to meet the contractor. Headed back home about 30 minutes later and met the club president a half mile from the course. He motioned to me and I turned around... back to the course. Visited with him for another 30 minutes.
I've missed my afternoon nap time three days in a row with this building project and we don't even have a permit yet!! Projected completion date on the total project is July/August time frame. Retired old fools need to keep their mouths shut and stay retired.......

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Who is that lives in / near Augusta? Was just down there this weekend for an interview and right now seriously contemplating moving to the area. Drove past Augusta National and you can't see a damn thing except 1 tiny assed little sign.
6szkXqJyscu2hzwOAzAME38mQkGoRM5KFb6kawEZVHVlV-TtZmurM5ARKhZyIHBgIAI8fyJf0YQa8jg6nCtqTrgGROlmppOQD-f364cJ4-qvgXJaUImJu8sjW0fHRKMavUVVJQ5b8VFjzJPe9RhPuRALzvWIJDzomZtPqAJEZlKjInXQ1O-azNFsKozm2nQsS7PyI1mtSUmVnCMzwB8bYl4q4ORiptRq1hDyhc1eYmN4MIwPA66_lQqrd9F-GoJPWHKYXo5UOhLI_PNWGH0UNyHBqyHvTaRJ4gjiLFoKbKm94IfpYmTOjrmLwsXRbU2w44Y4EYmPuP9GmPyc64gChu-aklxmQ55UX-8JIE-E06ApD-zcioFVwNOwsou3dgm6QZ-jHqqaeS4ZR_CEAC6KxKTlR9ZDNFH3jFk0574N-VGs8Gf67WAmJ5L7jy0nRjfPrL1oNHObiOdlm24QVf359_VqXxK_1_RpTLYKOpXn1CuTtO6rbKAClK_puty06ESCj12co2_RV3RCTfZM9wQ2FKhzZJ4-Wjl2-FnfkSYxcDkk4bJFUMYUfMMpc5bLkChVQoSoc1R0mbmNkqmrK5Jcr3eeE_Y7f-wrIs7ZGJ5UOcAy98tWiaDVsBAW6yj8XpntouyHsrsVz_gGaX1ajjK-612285JwJ9lqFyeNVonqgHqAG08oscKm-yBpt-F8xI4=w1792-h828-no

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
-20 F when I got up this morning. Record cold temperature for this date. In my 74 years living in the great state of Kansas, I can't remember seeing 20 below. Years and years ago while working with trucks and construction equipment, we would always see that the anti-freeze was tested to -20... because it never got that cold. Well... it does!
The recliner has felt pretty good, but this week of no golf has about got to me. Forecast for 50's next week!!!
The dog doesn't seem to mind the cold. She has spent longer out in the backyard that I want to be outside. Instead of eating "Baby Ruth" bars... she is chewing on fudgesickles!
Electric utility ran rolling blackouts the past two days due to the high demand. Didn't hit our home. Looks like they mainly rolled through commercial areas and tried to steer clear of residential. Some residential on the outskirts of commercial had their power off for a couple hours. South of us... Texas... has had areas out of power for days.
Thought we were though with 2020. Seems it wants to drag on into 2021.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
It was 64º and rainy when we arrived in Augusta, drove to Savannah and it wasn't raining but didn't get above 55º. By the time we hit Kentucky it was at 28º and dropping and of course got home to -6º. I despise this cold and snow and the older I get the more I hate it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Friday it was -4° and we had a week of solid low temps, highs in the low teens during the week last week. Today woke up to freezing rain and a nice sheet of ice over my car. By mid day it was 40°.

This winter has seemed especially long and we have probably 6 more weeks before it’s in the 40’s regularly. I’m so sick of winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The cold and snow are a couple of major reasons i'm considering relocating to Georgia, can't see myself dealing with this crap much longer.

I don’t blame you!

I’ll never forget one time I was in Atlanta in February. It was in the 50’s with light rain. One day it let up and I went golfing in my usual shorts and polo. I got some funny looks because 50’s to them was chilly! 50’s to me in February is a beautiful thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The GF has been staying with me to take care of me while I recuperate from surgery. She teleworks so no big changes. Both of us have been freezing this week, me because of all the medicine I'm taking, and her probably because she got her 2nd Covid vaccine. I finally gave in and reset the thermostat from 64F to 67F and that helped some.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Can't be broken if I don't have a left button.
So... you're one of THOSE who only have the "Don't" button. There are a few of those folks around who just naturally are "dicks" so don't need the "Be A... " button! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

🔥 Latest posts