• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Random Thoughts Thread

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
Random golf thought: was playing 9 holes with my friend and her son, and the kid (17 year old) was telling me about "good" golfers like this: "My friend Aiden is a really good golfer, he can hit it like over 300 yards..." He talked about some other "good" golfers and his qualifier was always how far they could hit it, never anything else. I blame that other golf site for this dumbass way of thinking what good golf is.
I always say, it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive!! :)

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
My son was hitting 4-woods off the tall rubber tee at the range and one time he went completely under the ball, hit the tee, and the tee flexed back and the ball landed right back on the tee. I've never seen that happen before.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My son was hitting 4-woods off the tall rubber tee at the range and one time he went completely under the ball, hit the tee, and the tee flexed back and the ball landed right back on the tee. I've never seen that happen before.
Some years ago...

Two guys in our group had been horsing around with an old cigar butt. On 13 tee box, one tossed the cigar butt at the ball as the other swung his driver. The cigar knocked the ball off the tee. The person driving the ball corrected during his downswing and hit the ball off the deck of the tee box. One of the longest and straightest drives of the day.

As one of that group was teeing off on 9, another rolled a second ball at the tee. The one teeing off never teed his ball very high. As he came through the swing, his driver caught both balls and both went pretty straight down the fairway. He said he should get a re-tee. When he hit the single ball off the tee, it didn't go as far as one of those he hit when he made contact with two.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Some story off another site...
My father and I played yesterday mid day, we got matched up with these 2 guys ones dressed like a tour pro, ones in a white tee shirt and swim shorts.. so we step up to the first tee.

Tiger woods slices his ball 100 yards into the tree, re tees same thing , so me and my dad look at each-other like shit if the guy who looks like that hits that shot off the first hole we can only imagine what the other guy will do.. so jack (white tee guy) steps up drops his ball on the ground hits his driver off the deck like 300 yards our jaws drop cause i mean thats not an easy thing to do. Walking up the fairway i ask do you usually hit your driver off the deck and he says no he forgot his tees.. so anyways jack sticks his wedge and taps in for birdie.. so we go to hole 2 and he finds a tee and proceeds to hit a driver farther than ive ever seen, holes a little downhill but we think he probably hit it 350 yds. lands his second on the green and rims out for eagle... Now i should mention that we chatted on the putting green and on the first tee for about 15 minutes, Jack had drank 4 beer in that time.

by hole 9 he was -3 and probably drank another 6 beer and double cocktail from the cart girl, he was pickled at this point, so we swing around and he says i have to go grab something from my car so he leaves comes back 10 minutes later and were still waiting for the fairway to clear when i look over and this man is snorting coke on the golf course!!! in all my time and my fathers time golfing i have never seen anyone do coke on the course.

well to cut this story down, by the end of the round he was was -5, drank 14 beers at least and snorted a line every hole from 10-18, he was so fucked up by 18 i couldn't believe he was still standing you could see it in his eyes he just wasn't there anymore he was staring right through you, and further to that i cannot believe this guy shot -5, i have played for 20 years and i have never even sniffed the 60's.

My father was rattled about the drugs on the course however, he was actually a great guy helped us find our balls , hyped up all of our shots, gave me some really good advice on my putting , we actually really enjoyed playing with him.. I truly believe if this guy actually took golf serious he could make a living off this game he was easily one of the best players i have ever seen in person.

Forgot to mention the 3 joints they also smoked on the course

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Some story off another site...
My father and I played yesterday mid day, we got matched up with these 2 guys ones dressed like a tour pro, ones in a white tee shirt and swim shorts.. so we step up to the first tee.

Tiger woods slices his ball 100 yards into the tree, re tees same thing , so me and my dad look at each-other like shit if the guy who looks like that hits that shot off the first hole we can only imagine what the other guy will do.. so jack (white tee guy) steps up drops his ball on the ground hits his driver off the deck like 300 yards our jaws drop cause i mean thats not an easy thing to do. Walking up the fairway i ask do you usually hit your driver off the deck and he says no he forgot his tees.. so anyways jack sticks his wedge and taps in for birdie.. so we go to hole 2 and he finds a tee and proceeds to hit a driver farther than ive ever seen, holes a little downhill but we think he probably hit it 350 yds. lands his second on the green and rims out for eagle... Now i should mention that we chatted on the putting green and on the first tee for about 15 minutes, Jack had drank 4 beer in that time.

by hole 9 he was -3 and probably drank another 6 beer and double cocktail from the cart girl, he was pickled at this point, so we swing around and he says i have to go grab something from my car so he leaves comes back 10 minutes later and were still waiting for the fairway to clear when i look over and this man is snorting coke on the golf course!!! in all my time and my fathers time golfing i have never seen anyone do coke on the course.

well to cut this story down, by the end of the round he was was -5, drank 14 beers at least and snorted a line every hole from 10-18, he was so fucked up by 18 i couldn't believe he was still standing you could see it in his eyes he just wasn't there anymore he was staring right through you, and further to that i cannot believe this guy shot -5, i have played for 20 years and i have never even sniffed the 60's.

My father was rattled about the drugs on the course however, he was actually a great guy helped us find our balls , hyped up all of our shots, gave me some really good advice on my putting , we actually really enjoyed playing with him.. I truly believe if this guy actually took golf serious he could make a living off this game he was easily one of the best players i have ever seen in person.

Forgot to mention the 3 joints they also smoked on the course
Sure it wasn't John Daly? lol

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
crystal.jpg

Text from daughter, yesterday, with this picture of her car. I immediately texted back "Are you okay?" She replied, "Just shaken up." The phone rang with her calling. She was almost in tears. "On my way to the library and this lady in a minivan pulled out in front of me. Kids in the minivan, but no one hurt." Then, all of a sudden.... "APRIL FOOLS!" The photo is a car identical to hers. The Son-in-law found it on the internet and they though it might be a good April Fools joke for us. She's no longer our favorite kid!!!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Would like to post a proud dad moment

My son hit his first OTF home run of his 10u season. His hitting over the last year has improved immensely. He's always been able to hit for power(he turned 10 in February and he's 5'4" 130lbs), but his average was pretty low. He's worked on his contact like crazy and it's showing. He's up to 5th from 8th in the batting order. His last tournament he went 8 for 10, 1 single, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 1 fielders choice, and 1 strike out. I've been impressed with his base running improvements as well.

Here he is with his HR ball.

Rp4ZVd7.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Would like to post a proud dad moment

My son hit his first OTF home run of his 10u season. His hitting over the last year has improved immensely. He's always been able to hit for power(he turned 10 in February and he's 5'4" 130lbs), but his average was pretty low. He's worked on his contact like crazy and it's showing. He's up to 5th from 8th in the batting order. His last tournament he went 8 for 10, 1 single, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 1 fielders choice, and 1 strike out. I've been impressed with his base running improvements as well.

Here he is with his HR ball.

Rp4ZVd7.jpg
Good stuff, brother! My oldest is a fanatic and keeps me busy nearly year round with baseball. He's a freshman now, starting varsity at SS/P. So I feel you about being proud. It's awesome seeing them succeed

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Sometimes a voice from the past shows up for a day or two. Then, they cower back under their blanket for a while. I don't eat onions before posting. I make sure I put on deodorant the morning before posting. Surely, sitting here naked while posting isn't driving folks away!!! :rolleyes: :p:p

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Don't want to keep on this but I'm pretty pumped for this kid...here he is with both of the balls he hit out in this weekends tournament(a two run, and a grand slam!). He also got intentionally walked in his net AB after his second home run...which I have never before seen in 10u baseball. His team finished first as well, so everyone did well.

CHWN1BW.jpg

🔥 Latest posts