• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The smallest change

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I went for a lesson last week. I'd been hitting a lot of drives out of the heal and getting a weak flight, lots of blocks, swing speed was down as well. The pro got me to hit six x7 irons and 10x drivers on a shot scope. I was overwhelmed by the amount of data he was able to collect.

Most of it was beyond me, but sure thing, I was hitting towards the heel with a slightly open face and my driver SS was down by about 3-4 mph. He said he knew what it was but wanted the number to confirm it. The revelation?

My left thumb / left hand was weak on my grip. I had it very neutral down the middle of the shaft. He wanted me to shorten it and place it down the right side of the shaft. He also shifted the ball position slightly back and to stand slightly further away from the ball at address. It took a few swings but man, by the end of the session I was hammering it! I could feel the release at impact much stronger and the SS back instantly. I couldn't wait for the weekend.

Come Saturday and for some reason, it felt all awkward. I got all over analytical, my grip felt alien. I slumped to an 81. The positive was that the good shots came out great, really great. But I hit a few fats, thins etc. Obviously, it's my body deciding that I won't get away with this easy, even a minute change will take weeks to bed in.

I played a few holes on Sunday evening and by the end I think I had it figured out. Boy, golf never stops putting up the challenges!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
It's a dastardly game! You just think you have it figured out and something else goes haywire. Of course, my problems stem from my USGA (Unusually Sorry Golfing Ability) and my LOFT (Lack of Freakin' Talent)!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have always found it amazing how simple little things like slightly moving a thumb position can dramatically effect the results of a golf swing. Strange game.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
This damn left-hand part of grip is driving me crazy! Going to take a long longer than I figured.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I have to work on my grip of a beer can too? Jeeeeezzzzz

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was out again last night for 10 holes. It was a bit breezy but I was a lot more solid, especially off the tee and with the flatstick. btw I'm currently gaming my Wilson TPA XVIII (her name is Sheila!). I think some of the confidence is returning and the new grip seems to be bedding in. I was +2. I am still fanning a few irons and not releasing through, but I know that is the conviction to stay behind the ball and not get in front. It will come!!!

p9261044-jpg.9252

🔥 Latest posts