• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Solheim Cup 2015

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Golf club St. Leon-Rot, Germany 18-20 September 2015

It's almost here.

Solheim-Announcements-12.jpg
12028623_10153029717535684_455589045999723608_o.jpg

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1442744212.641737.jpg

The singles pairings for today.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1442744253.270818.jpg

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1442744296.034617.jpg

Oh, and Julie Inkster's daughters will probably be there again.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Extraordinary final day. Well done US, the team strength came through in the end. But what a bizarre and very unfortunate incident that marred the final day.

I can see this from both sides. Pettersen was within her rights under the rules to claim the hole. It was a tense part of the match, very close. The putt was probably a gimme but Lee mistakenly believed it had been conceded by the European pair and when she scooped the ball up. Lee should have asked / confirmed it with her opponents. So Pettersen used her experience and gamesmanship to claim the hole. But it was a very cruel and underhand tactic at a crucial part of the match.

US captain Juli Inkster didn’t hold back when addressing the incident; “BS. No way they can ever justify that. It’s just not right. You just don’t do that to your peers.”

Petterson made a statement on Monday morning, her first time to comment on the matter.

“I’ve never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down Sunday on the 17th at the Solheim Cup,” she wrote. “I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry.
“To the US team, you guys have a great leader in Juli , who I’ve always looked up to and respect so much. Knowing I need to make things “right,” I had a face to face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry.
“I hope in time the US team will forgive me and know that I have learned a valuable lesson about what is truly important in this great game of golf which has given me so much in my life.
“To the fans of golf who watched the competition on TV, I am sorry for the way I carried myself. I can be so much better and being an ambassador for this great game means a lot to me.
“The Solheim Cup has been a huge part of my career. I wish I could change Sunday for many reasons. Unfortunately I can’t.
“This week I want to push forward toward another opportunity to earn the Solheim Cup back for Europe in the right way. And I want to work hard to earn back your belief in me as someone who plays hard, plays fair and plays the great game of golf the right way.”

So fair play, she has now admitted that she was wrong. Well done USA, it probably spurred the team on to the win.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Extraordinary final day. Well done US, the team strength came through in the end. But what a bizarre and very unfortunate incident that marred the final day.

I can see this from both sides. Pettersen was within her rights under the rules to claim the hole. It was a tense part of the match, very close. The putt was probably a gimme but Lee mistakenly believed it had been conceded by the European pair and when she scooped the ball up. Lee should have asked / confirmed it with her opponents. So Pettersen used her experience and gamesmanship to claim the hole. But it was a very cruel and underhand tactic at a crucial part of the match.

US captain Juli Inkster didn’t hold back when addressing the incident; “BS. No way they can ever justify that. It’s just not right. You just don’t do that to your peers.”

Petterson made a statement on Monday morning, her first time to comment on the matter.

“I’ve never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down Sunday on the 17th at the Solheim Cup,” she wrote. “I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry.
“To the US team, you guys have a great leader in Juli , who I’ve always looked up to and respect so much. Knowing I need to make things “right,” I had a face to face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry.
“I hope in time the US team will forgive me and know that I have learned a valuable lesson about what is truly important in this great game of golf which has given me so much in my life.
“To the fans of golf who watched the competition on TV, I am sorry for the way I carried myself. I can be so much better and being an ambassador for this great game means a lot to me.
“The Solheim Cup has been a huge part of my career. I wish I could change Sunday for many reasons. Unfortunately I can’t.
“This week I want to push forward toward another opportunity to earn the Solheim Cup back for Europe in the right way. And I want to work hard to earn back your belief in me as someone who plays hard, plays fair and plays the great game of golf the right way.”

So fair play, she has now admitted that she was wrong. Well done USA, it probably spurred the team on to the win.
I've always enjoyed watching Petterson, probably for reasons other than her expertise at golf. After this "confession", I admire her even more. So many athletes today are entirely too wrapped up in themselves to ever admit an error in judgment. To humble herself, have a personal visit with Inkster, and go public with how she let the competition of the moment overcome her professionalism as a golfer say so much about her character. Too bad more folks... no matter from what walk of life... refuse to act accordingly.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
This apology would never have happened if the Europeans won.
Just trying to look like a good loser now.

🔥 Latest posts