• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

the sweet feel of improvement

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i've been really working my ass off at the range lately...putting a great deal of time into my game and its starting to pay off...

i evaluated my swing and i found that my flaws were

1) off plane, but nothing too major to worry about for now...

2) horrendous timing, figured a swing for the fence everytime swing is gonna be bad....it was....so very inconsistent from swing to swing

3) terrible balance/footwork... i'd be coming out of at least half my shots...especially drives, also have problem with how the weight'd be distributed on my left foot (right handed)

so lately i've really been keying in on 2 and 3, and my lord i wonder what i've been missing all this time...

i've found that my moment of triumph/fail miserably is the point at the top of the backswing----transitioning that first instant of downswing....

so.... i started doing the drill i read that Tiger hated where he was told to swing back...hold for 2 seconds or so...then fire through.... didn't work for me, it screwed up my breathing and was just really hard to hold the coil i create for that long...

so next i really started focusing on what i do to trigger the downswing....and i found that my upper body would just take off whenever it felt like it....sending everything way off timing wise....baffled with what to do...i took to my library of golf magazines and after extensive research found that the majority of articles about this subject suggested starting with the lower body....figuring i couldn't get any worse i tried it and oh my what a change!!!

at the top i make sure to finish my backswing to the point that i've told myself i'm not gonna swing past anymore....then i kick my right knee towards the target and its literally a race to the bottom from there....making sure my hands and belly stay together.....letting my body rotation square the face, rather than having to flip my hands and rely on good timing.....all this combining for longer, straighter, more consistent shots with much better contact....

i stood there for years hoping everything would suddenly click together transforming me into a good player....but i'm slowly realising that in golf, and almost any other aspect of life, there are no shortcuts for hard work and practice.

i think i've matured more mentally in the past 2 months, than my previous 17 years combined.

cheers

-YG

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I have the same exact problems. I havent found the right 'trigger' to start the downswing, so I end up starting with my arms, causing a major slice that I have "BandAided" to hit my irons with a fade and to pray for the best with my woods.

Ill try to follow the "start from the bottom" technique, hopefully it will help me some.

I also cant for the life of me keep my hands from clenching the club, I guess the only cure for that is to Not Clench the club...

thanks for the info, Ill try it out tomorrow

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Improving ones game is great, and it's awesome to hear you out and grinding it YG.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Way to go. Sounds very similar to what I've been working on. Turning on the power around my waist in the downswing. I feel like I'm swinging easier but hitting it way further with the irons. It's getting almost ridiculous, hitting 7irons nearly 175. I haven't quite gotten it together with the driver yet but once I find one I'm going to keep I will. Just wait till you start using this swing on the course. Nothing feels better than stepping up to a 200 yd. shot and feeling just as at ease as with a 120yd. shot.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's so true Ezra. I used to have trouble with 200yd 3s, but now I just get up there and whack it like any other club, and have confidence that it will be fine.

🔥 Latest posts