• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Taylormade M4

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I seem to get new driver fever this time every year. Maybe because I usually stay a couple of generations back and the OEMs usually introduce their latest and greatest in January. Also, I'm hoping for something that will give me a few more yards on cold wet fairways. Anyway, I'm interested in the TM M4. I like how it looks and the reviews I've been able to find are mostly positive. I'd like to hear from anyone that has opinions either positive or negative before I try to find one to demo. Since it's a couple of years old getting my hands on a new or used one to try might take some work.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
My old 2007 TM Burner still goes as far as any modern driver I've owned. I don't think I make enough clubhead speed to take advantage of the "technology advances".

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Save some money and get an M2. It’s easily the best driver I’ve ever hit, and I’ve gamed quite a few over the years. First time in a long time I have a driver solidly in the bag and not going anywhere until the face caves.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I spoke to a friend of mine who reviews clubs for a living. He said the original M2 is the best driver TM has made to date. All they have done since is tweak. Do yourself a favor and bag an M2, get the right shaft combo, that's where you should spend your $s.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Cobra just reduced the F9 Speed Back to $350 with a good choice of no upcharge shafts.

Tour Edge Exotics EXS now $250 with some no upcharge shaft options.

I bought a couple M3’s earlier this year on closeout and have been quite pleased with them. M4 is probably a bit more forgiving than the M3, but not as adjustable. Probably worth a shot if you can find a good deal on one.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I tried the 2017 M2 briefly last year, but wasn't that impressed. Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough. I bought the Rogue in November of last year and it was just OK. I recently put it in "time out" and went back to my old G25. I'm becoming convinced that trading up every couple of years doesn't accomplish much at my age and level of play. My drives yesterday with the G25 were fairly straight and a little over 210 yards on wet fairways. That's probably as good as it's going to get. Maybe turning 70 is the cure for new club fever. Thanks for all the responses.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I tried the 2017 M2 briefly last year, but wasn't that impressed. Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough. I bought the Rogue in November of last year and it was just OK. I recently put it in "time out" and went back to my old G25. I'm becoming convinced that trading up every couple of years doesn't accomplish much at my age and level of play. My drives yesterday with the G25 were fairly straight and a little over 210 yards on wet fairways. That's probably as good as it's going to get. Maybe turning 70 is the cure for new club fever. Thanks for all the responses.
I'm 68 and drive the ball about 200, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have the opportunity to demo most major brands on course right out of our golf shop at the course. I have discovered, that for me, I hit the ball about the same distance with all of them, including my 12 year old Burner. Hell, I can hit my PING ZING blondie maple-headed driver the same distance.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
For me, scoring in the low 80s or high 70s always comes down to chipping and putting. I usually play tees that are 6250 and occasionally drop down to 6000 when it's cold and wet. However, my scores stay about the same from either distance. While I would love to crank it out there around 250 like some of these guys with which I play, I try to remember it's not how; it's how many.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
For me, scoring in the low 80s or high 70s always comes down to chipping and putting. I usually play tees that are 6250 and occasionally drop down to 6000 when it's cold and wet. However, my scores stay about the same from either distance. While I would love to crank it out there around 250 like some of these guys with which I play, I try to remember it's now how; it's how many.
Yep, that's my game (except I play sub-6000 yd tees). Get one in the fairway, get one near the green, get up and down for par or take the bogey and move on. Might hit 4 or 5 greens in reg over 18 holes, usually par 5s and 3s. Good day is 78, bad day is 84. Club technology is not that big a factor for my needs.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
PapaD
I see you still play Eye 2s. I've got a set and played them through most of the 90s. I still think they're the best irons ever introduced. I'd go back to them if my TM 2017 M2s ever fail to perform.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
PapaD
I see you still play Eye 2s. I've got a set and played them through most of the 90s. I still think they're the best irons ever introduced. I'd go back to them if my TM 2017 M2s ever fail to perform.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
I love the classics. I have several sets of EYE 2s and a set of i3 O-Size. They work! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I'm becoming convinced that trading up every couple of years doesn't accomplish much at my age and level of play.

I've dinked around with drivers, but can't get away from my XR16. Ever since I put a shorter shaft in it, it has performed flawlessly. This past couple of months, I am outhitting the other geezers in my group from 10 to 25 yards. And, I find the ball in the fairway... or very close to it. The XR16 wasn't even considered to be one of the top drivers of its day. Still, I have become quite comfortable with it and cannot come up with justification for a change. Now... if I could only get my short game back into shape!!!

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Well, I bit on a sale at Dick's and bought a Taylormade M6. I've only played it a couple of times, but I like it so far.
The weather here in NC has been warmer than usual. However, it's been very wet. Hopefully, it will be drier soon so I can make a good comparison. I kept my Rogue just in case I've made a mistake. Thanks for all your input.

Members online

No members online now.