• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The thing that everyone not in love with Tiger is thinking...

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
CHOKE!!!!!!!

Come on Tiger lovers, defend him NOW...

You can make every argument under the sun about him being too far back at the start of the day, needing to chase birdies down the final two holes to post a score or anything else you can dream up.

Purely and simply put, Tiger was in contention on Sunday of a tournament (doesn't matter whether its the Masters or the John Deere open) and bogeyed the last two holes. One birdie in the last two holes would have been enough to put pressure on a less than stellar but still very reasonable leaderboard.

Now I have NOTHING against Tiger, and actually think he is the greatest golfer the world has ever seen but I don't love him and can be objectional about him.

You can't tell me that Cabrera, Perry and Campbell would see Tigers name at -10 on the leaderboard without their sphincter puckering up enough to cause quite a bit nerves for them.

IMHO Tiger overplayed the last two holes and CHOKED!!! (So did Phil).

That should cause a bit of discussion. Enjoy.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
To an extent I agree with you. Both Phil and Tiger played some lights out golf early today. I think the adrenaline rush might have worn off once they got into contention and exhaustion set in. Knowing its the last day of the Masters, and you have to make birdie after birdie to even contend has to wear on you. Even if your name is Tiger.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
To an extent I agree with you. Both Phil and Tiger played some lights out golf early today. I think the adrenaline rush might have worn off once they got into contention and exhaustion set in. Knowing its the last day of the Masters, and you have to make birdie after birdie to even contend has to wear on you. Even if your name is Tiger.

You're right Dubya, sorry shoulda specified that I believe that they both played some stellar, lights out golf. Not ragging on their particular rounds because they were great from the pair but still chokes none the less.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I don't think a 4 under rd of 68 on the final day is a choke at all, Perry is the one who choked big time.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I don't think a 4 under rd of 68 on the final day is a choke at all, Perry is the one who choked big time.

Agreed about Perry.

I believe 68 on the final day is a choke when your looking at 66 with two holes to go. My opinion and I respect yours.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
TW and PM went out, today, to have fun. They figured they could shoot 65's and still lose. Between them, they had a birdie fest. The last two groups were bumbling along, makeing pars at best. All of a sudden, both TW and PM saw they were/could be in contention. Now, the pressure was on!!! They felt a need to make things happen on the last 3 holes to get in the clubhouse with the leaders. What had been a laid back, "Take this!" type of day became work!

If either had been 4 or 5 shots back at the start of the day... and had played agressively all day... either, or both, could have held up during those last few holes. The transition from feeling they were out of contention to being only a shot or two out of the lead was not handled well by either.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Agreed about Perry.

I believe 68 on the final day is a choke when your looking at 66 with two holes to go. My opinion and I respect yours.

And a 66 still wouldn't have done a damn thing for him, Tiger would have had to shot a 64 just to tie for the lead. That's asking a hell of a lot of anyone. I don't understand where some folks on TV have complained about Tigers lack of success in The Masters, yea he's only won it 4 times in 12 years.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
And a 66 still wouldn't have done a damn thing for him, Tiger would have had to shot a 64 just to tie for the lead. That's asking a hell of a lot of anyone. I don't understand where some folks on TV have complained about Tigers lack of success in The Masters, yea he's only won it 4 times in 12 years.

A 66 on the board COULD very well have turned to a 65 with just one birdie on the last two holes and put even more pressure on the top 3. God knows they didn't cope very well as is without Tiger's name being thrown into the mix for a possible playoff. Could've gone anywhere.

Yeah I heard the same thing about his so called lack of success. A 33% sucess rate at Augusta is better than everyone else by a country mile.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
With the utmost of respect to Tiger (b/c he is wonderful golfer), I think the thing that Tiger sycophants will conveniently overlook is that Tiger competed in the 09 Masters & didn't win. That'll be completely erased from their memory banks.

For example, when mention is made of the two majors that Padraig Harrington's two majors in 2008, Tiger devotees nearly always counter that Tiger didn't play in either, yet conveniently omit that he played in the 2007 British Open that Harrington won.

Now Angel Cabrera has won the Masters (in which Woods played), it is timely to remember that Tiger also played in the 2007 US Open that Cabrera won.

Tiger is fallible, just like any other golfer. Yes, a damned fine golfer with a stellar record, but fallible and capable of being beaten nonetheless.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
With the utmost of respect to Tiger (b/c he is wonderful golfer), I think the thing that Tiger sycophants will conveniently overlook is that Tiger competed in the 09 Masters & didn't win. That'll be completely erased from their memory banks.

For example, when mention is made of the two majors that Padraig Harrington's two majors in 2008, Tiger devotees nearly always counter that Tiger didn't play in either, yet conveniently omit that he played in the 2007 British Open that Harrington won.

Now Angel Cabrera has won the Masters (in which Woods played), it is timely to remember that Tiger also played in the 2007 US Open that Cabrera won.

Tiger is fallible, just like any other golfer. Yes, a damned fine golfer with a stellar record, but fallible and capable of being beaten nonetheless.

I went back and reread all the posts before I posted. I don't think anybody was commenting that Tiger was infallible or unbeatable. He and Phil put on a hell of a show today-better than the leaders and eventual winner if you ask me. Perry, Campell and Cabrera were competing in a snooze fest until the last 3 holes and the play off.

This next bit is not directed at anybody or the person I quoted in particular!

I never understood the Tiger haters. I wasn't around when Hogan, Snead, Nelson, Palmer, Player, Watson and Nicklause were in their prime. Can somebody tell me if there was this much animosity towards the TOP player in the game at a given time? I don't understand why people love to hate Tiger-don't you see that we are witnessing HISTORY here. Whether or not he beats Nicklaus' record he WILL go down as one of the all time greats!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Jim, it's the same way in a lot of sports as for some reason people don't want to see someone dominate any sport & love to see them lose at times. In Nascar look at how much booing Rusty Wallace or Jeff Gordon had to endure when they were winning race after race.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
the dymaic duo played excellent and made a statement* no lead is safe and ALMOST pulled it off. they just ran out brain power at the end. fun as hell to watch them creep up the board. i am sure the last group was like sh*t ! what is going on. looking forward to the interviews..

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I went back and reread all the posts before I posted. ...

Jim, your points are valid also. My comments weren't aimed at Tiger followers. More at the fawning fanatics. There are plenty of bizarre and extreme comments made about Tiger by starry eyed fanatics. You need to read some of the other threads about Tiger on this site. You'll find comments like "if Tiger isn't playing, golf is not worth watching", which is a plain insult to the game and the other hard working pros & competing amateurs.

No Tiger hate here. Just trying to keep things in perspective. :thumbs up:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim, your points are valid also. My comments weren't aimed at Tiger followers. More at the fawning fanatics. There are plenty of bizarre and extreme comments made about Tiger by starry eyed fanatics. For example, you'll find comments like "if Tiger isn't playing, golf is not worth watching", which is a plain insult to the game and the other hard working pros & competing amateurs.

No Tiger hate here. Just trying to keep things in perspective. :thumbs up:

While I do not agree with this statement I know what you are trying to say. Here is an interesting fact though, Bay Hill-with Tiger in contention-was the highest rated golf tournament since....wait for it...the 2008 US Open. The guy just moves the needle and there is no arguing it. He brought an audience that has been lacking in golf and brought it to a 2nd tier event (by second tier I mean a notch below a major).

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I don't understand how anyone who has played golf could come to the conclusion that Tiger choked. Golf is HARD. Even for the greats. In fact, after he bounced his ball off that tree on 18, it was a pretty great recovery to have hit over that humongous tree and on to the green. That's about where I would have picked my ball up - but I guess you cant do that at the last hole of the Masters.
I really was pulling for Phil there, but well, wasn't his day. What a front 9! I think he shot a 37 on the back. Not exactly hacking it up. Those 2 short putts he missed stand out.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.