• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Tour Championship 2018

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I will certainly give him credit for sticking with it and making a comeback. He was born with an instinct... an ingrained sense that he would be the best as what he does. He won a full field tournament reft with the top players in the game. His "unfolding" began with 'Skanksgiving' and, later, physical breakdowns of a body stressed by thousands of 100+ mph swings of a golf club. The emotional/physical combination would have had some retire and leave the Game. He could not and worked tirelessly to make a comeback.
I do take issue, however, with a headline this morning. "The Greatest Comeback In Sports History". Ben Hogan... Body torn apart in a vicious head-on crash with a bus, early in 1949. Lucky to even survive, let along play golf again. Not only did he make a comeback, but in 1953 won three majors in one season. Monica Seles... The youngest to make #1 in ladies tennis when a disgruntled fan plunged a knife in her back. Many surgeries and a lengthy comeback saw her win two more professional tournaments. Rocky Blier… Drafted from the football field to the jungles of Viet Nam. Grenade takes off parts of his foot. Didn't know if he'd walk again, let alone run. Came back to the Steelers and won a number of "Rings". Story after story of people who would not let tragedies beyond their control snuff out the light of living the life they were committed to.
Yesterday's victory was a significant accomplishment for Woods and a 'shot in the arm' for golf. We will hear more and more sports commentators write about the greatness of this accomplishment. They really need to spend just a short time looking at history before tagging it as the "greatest" in sports history.

Two points from me:

(1) I haven't seen surging galleries like that for a decade or two. Maybe longer. It was a fantastic sight.

(2) Calling it the greatest comeback ever is a knucklehead sports journalist claim. All of your examples are valid. I'll throw in Harry Vardon who overcame tuberculosis which had left him with trembles that impacted on his putting.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
There's a video doing the rounds of Tiger watching clips of "pundits" saying that he would never win again, should give the game up, that it would become embarrassing for him and everyone else. There were several "experts" that gave him both barrels, indirectly. And there's Tiger, watching this, occasionally looking towards the camera with a slightly embarrassed, slightly unnerving look. I'd love to know what he was thinking inside. Something like "I'll show those clowns!"

It's good for Tiger to be back and good for the game as well. I agree it is not the greatest sporting comeback ever, but it is pretty special considering where he was 1-2 years ago. Told he may never walk again, let alone play golf. Family life in tatters, DUI for drug-driving. Just a train wreck. And now he is King of the World. Good for him. Its' the script for a great movie, don't you think? Rocky v Tiger. He's gives us all hope, that it is possible, with the right mindset, to turn things around and make your life better.

Will he win another Major? Sure, why not. That was a pretty awesome field on a really tough track, as good as any Major. So it is looking good. Father Time is against him, but I can see a few more being knocked out before he decides it is time.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Two points from me:

(1) I haven't seen surging galleries like that for a decade or two. Maybe longer. It was a fantastic sight.

(2) Calling it the greatest comeback ever is a knucklehead sports journalist claim. All of your examples are valid. I'll throw in Harry Vardon who overcame tuberculosis which had left him with trembles that impacted on his putting.

That crowd was insane! I think of them affectionately as “Tiger’s Army.”

Greatest sports comeback story? No.

That’s the media doing media like things.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Rory McIlroy after TW birdied #1:

tenor.gif

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Also, everyone was so busy talking about Tiger that they didn't really acknowledge that DeChambeau totally blew it.

$176,400 vs $10,000,000 plus.

🔥 Latest posts