• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The 'tour van' phenomenon

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Tmag

No one disputes that certain clubs don't make it to retail,this doesn't make them better,it makes them more suited to the individual they were intended for.There isn't a secret world of better clubs sitting somewhere that only a few lucky ones can get hold of,this is the bull that certain websites would have you believe.

Take TM.They flood the market with new drivers on a regular basis and pay a fortune to top players to use their clubs.This stratgey works.Few golfers read boards and magazines,the vast majority are influenced by what they hear in the clubhouse,on the range,see on the tele and get told in the pro shop.They see a shop full of TMs,some for draws,some for better players called TP with an open face,some go higher,some have adjustable weights,blah blah blah.But whats important is they will buy the products because of a superb marketing strategy.TM would destroy and credibility they have in the marketplace if the pro in this shop said 'pay me some more and I can get hold of a secret club only pros have,it has softer metal and goes farther'.Ok I am being sarcastic but you get my point.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yeah buddy, this is my favorite line as well. Are you kidding me? What does the gold writing on the grip say anyway?

It says'Monly'.Whoever Monly is he has missed out on 2 very expensive holes drilled in his wedge.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
It says'Monly'.Whoever Monly is he has missed out on 2 very expensive holes drilled in his wedge.

I thought someone was trying to pass them off as "Monty" but ran out of gold ink!

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
It might be Manly tbh,might appeal to a man called Man or an effeminate golfer

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Tmag

No one disputes that certain clubs don't make it to retail,this doesn't make them better,it makes them more suited to the individual they were intended for.There isn't a secret world of better clubs sitting somewhere that only a few lucky ones can get hold of,this is the bull that certain websites would have you believe.

Take TM.They flood the market with new drivers on a regular basis and pay a fortune to top players to use their clubs.This stratgey works.Few golfers read boards and magazines,the vast majority are influenced by what they hear in the clubhouse,on the range,see on the tele and get told in the pro shop.They see a shop full of TMs,some for draws,some for better players called TP with an open face,some go higher,some have adjustable weights,blah blah blah.But whats important is they will buy the products because of a superb marketing strategy.TM would destroy and credibility they have in the marketplace if the pro in this shop said 'pay me some more and I can get hold of a secret club only pros have,it has softer metal and goes farther'.Ok I am being sarcastic but you get my point.

I wasn't arguing that point with anyone, simply stating my reason for using tour issue equipment. I know there is no difference in the "Tour Issue" drivers and the TP drivers that I play. I agree completely with what you say, I have a pro shop at my course and am not able to stock every thing that Taylor Made offers due to the numerous models that they offer.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.