• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Upright Caddy... Any thoughts?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've been looking for a pull/push cart for some time. I don't like paying for carts and I like the walk anyway. I feel like I focus better. Last time I used a cart my buddy and I ended up driving around trying to hit seaguls with a Snapple bottle...

Soooo I've looked at a few and my main problem has been the way the clubs would orient themselves on the slope of the cart. All the irons and such would appear to lean toward the back of the bag and against the shafts of the driver and such. This isn't appealing to me. But low and behold...

UPRIGHT CADDY - Unique & Innovative Golf Push Cart - eBay (item 300185222217 end time Jan-21-08 18:00:00 PST)

I can't decide if this is queer enough to not-buy. I really like the way the bag sits as well as the position of the scorecard holder and other accessories. In other carts it always seemed like the clubs would be hanging over that utility table making use difficult. What do you guys think of this? Any glaring flaws?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Definitely different, I don't see anything wrong with it from 1st glance. Price sure seems very reasonable as well. Don't know if I would get rid of my Bag Boy cart for one though.
DSC0400412.JPG

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I could be wrong but I wouldn't think that cart pushes very well. Higher center of gravity that a typical "tricycle" configuration cart since the clubs sit more upright and right over the front (and leading) axle. Looks like it might fall over forward pretty easily, especially since the pushing pressure is at a right angle to the top heavy bag -- get it on some bumpy or soggy turf that resists the front wheel roll and I could see it toppling over forward.

Hmmm... I'd definitely want to roll one around with a full set of clubs on it before I bought it.

Soooo I've looked at a few and my main problem has been the way the clubs would orient themselves on the slope of the cart. All the irons and such would appear to lean toward the back of the bag and against the shafts of the driver and such. This isn't appealing to me. But low and behold...

Or you can just arrange your clubs the other way around in the bag. :laugh:

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0174sm.jpg

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
That looks like a very nice trolley MG! I'm not sure whether it's a cultural thing or what but I have never seen an electric trolley on a course here in the U.S., just push or pull carts. They seem to be quite common in the UK though. Then again, most of you guys aren't beer swilling fat a... riding in golf cars.

I think it's pretty safe to say you guys on the whole are a bit more traditional golfers than the typical american recreational golfer. Many of the courses here also push golf car rental since they make a boatload of money doing it and as I understand it most courses there don't even have but the odd golf car for the physically disabled. Personally I wish it were that way here too... :laugh:

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have that exact Bag Boy Wi-Golfer posted.

Simple, light, and very quick and easy to put in the trunk after a round or take out when in a hurry before it.

That upright bag I don't like so much. Maybe it's just me.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Plus they want to put as many golfers on the course as they can. Walkers really slow down the pace.

I think the way a course is set up effects pace more than walking/riding.
Carts can be awfully slow if you have one guy that hooks and another than slices riding together. Or, courses that don't allow carts anywhere near where your ball might actually land - I've been stuck taking carts plenty of times when I feel like I need to grab 1/2 the clubs in my bag and huff them across the fairway to where I think my ball might have stopped. Sometimes I feel like I get stuck walking more with a cart than without.

Armygolf

Sep 7, 2007
I think the way a course is set up effects pace more than walking/riding.
Carts can be awfully slow if you have one guy that hooks and another than slices riding together. Or, courses that don't allow carts anywhere near where your ball might actually land - I've been stuck taking carts plenty of times when I feel like I need to grab 1/2 the clubs in my bag and huff them across the fairway to where I think my ball might have stopped. Sometimes I feel like I get stuck walking more with a cart than without.

:laugh: ya I could use Jeff Burton's cart and it wouldn't help the pace of my game. I guess I'm always letting people play through, but thats only because they can put the ball on the fairway. Carts must help the average to above average player move a little faster.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Plus they want to put as many golfers on the course as they can. Walkers really slow down the pace.

This has been debated/discussed to death. I'm sure if you search for it, you'll find a lot of threads that go into detail about this myth.

Here are some highlights -- walkers can walk right to their balls instead of having to drop someone off, drive away, drive back. Walkers aren't limited to cart path only. Walkers don't have to go back to their bags to get a different club, get a new ball, get their towel, etc.

The simple truth is that the mode of locomotion has almost nothing to do with speed of play. Slow players are the reason for slow golf. You can be slow in a cart, or you can be slow walking. You can be fast in a cart, and you can be fast walking.

The only time walking is at a disadvantage is when there are long distances between holes. This is the only place where walking cannot compete with cart riding. Unfortunately, that is the modern design here in the US -- lots of long distances between holes because the golf course is surrounded by a housing development, and you can't have a hole be routed one way then come right back next to it -- you gotta get houses on both sides of the fairway on all 18 holes. So, there is often a lot of distance between a lot of the holes. One course I played over Christmas break had somewhere round a quarter of mile between 14's green and 15's teebox. Now I was riding because I knew how unfriendly this course was to walk -- and because the coupon I had required a cart rental -- but at least one cart-riding group and maybe two could have passed a walker on that stretch, because you can only walk so fast.

But, apart from long distances between holes, walking is no slower than cart play. It is slow golfers -- ones who don't know or don't want to play ready golf -- ones who don't start their 40 second pre-shot routines until everyone else has hit -- ones who don't think about their next shot until they are standing over their ball -- ones who need to plumb-bob and look at their putt from 22 different angles to hit it 6 feet short -- ones who have to stand on the green and count out their strokes rather than clear the green for the next group -- etc. -- etc. -- etc. -- that cause slow play. They can do all these slow things no matter their mode of locomotion.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
MGP, your illustration has changed my mind about the traditional tilted carts. I thought the clubs would fall farther over the little scorecard table. Appears not! And I like the way you oriented that. Looks like the Woode system, yah?

And I also suggested to my friend the same problem; that if you hit and resistance, the applied force (which is applied very high on the cart, rather than actually near the wheels) would be more apt to tip it over, or at least make things inconvenient.

BagBoy really necessary? They seem a lot more expensive than unnamed varieties.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

BagBoy's are cheaper than Sun Mountains.:laugh:
With carts you really do get what you pay for, the build quality & design is better on the pricier models. I think I got mine for $120-130.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007

My observation from most courses around here is that walkers are generally faster players than cart players. I've also noticed that on courses around here 2 players in a cart are almost always slower than 2 walkers or a single in a cart.

I know in my case I often take a cart when I play with Youngun5 and he likes to walk. We can get around the course easily in a little over 3 hours (even with me hacking it up) as long as there are no slow groups in front of us. Slow play just kills both of us and we both play best when we can move along at a nice pace.

MGP, your illustration has changed my mind about the traditional tilted carts. I thought the clubs would fall farther over the little scorecard table. Appears not! And I like the way you oriented that. Looks like the Woode system, yah?

Yeah, it's an Ogio Amp cart bag. I use it when I play with my push cart or riding carts. Great bag, it's really setup for push carts and yeah, it's a Woode system and works great. The only cart bag I'd rather have is an Ogio Atlas but I really didn't want to cough up $150-$180 for one. :laugh:

And I also suggested to my friend the same problem; that if you hit and resistance, the applied force (which is applied very high on the cart, rather than actually near the wheels) would be more apt to tip it over, or at least make things inconvenient.
Well I'm not really sure that's why I'd want to try it. I looked closer at the pictures and it does appear the bag is set just behind the main axle but even so the CG is still pretty high and you are definitely pushing at a right angle to it.

BagBoy's are cheaper than Sun Mountains.:laugh:
With carts you really do get what you pay for, the build quality & design is better on the pricier models. I think I got mine for $120-130.

The higher priced carts (Sun Mountain, Bag Boy, Clicgear) are definitely better and will last a long long time.

I did get a cheap cart on fleabay (Tartan Golf Cruiser) and it's surprisingly well built, I think it's going to last pretty well. That said I'm also eyeing a new Clicgear as I think they are the best push cart made. TGW has them on sale right now for $160 ($30 off) and it's been hard not to pull the trigger on one. They roll really well, are really well designed & manufactured and they fold down to an amazingly compact size.

Clicgear 2007 Push Carts

🔥 Latest posts