• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The verb "Drone" as in "CP drones on..."

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
This is a new word for me as a verb. Recently, a fellow golfer wanted advice about being more consistent, and someone responded that I droned on in certain posts. This person was then told that they liked what I write and didn't mind the thirty lines. Actually, I think I do "drone on" a bit too much, and I frequently make that admission. So I am not worried about described as one who drones. I certainly do appreciate that some are finding things within the droning that are of use.

Why do I drone or write so much on a given subject? Having been a history teacher for thirty years and being close to getting my doctorate in US History, I have admittedly become overly wordy. However, with both history and golf, our writing can be very misleading if overly brief. The golf swing is a whole, and we sometimes zero in on one aspect of it without explaining how that aspect relates to the whole. Someone takes that one isolated tidbit out to the course, and it may or may not work. When I write those long things, I am hoping that the reader can get to a fuller understanding. Again, as a history teacher I found that students could stomach the subject much better if we dealt with "why?" and not simply "what?" I think it is the same with golf. We can really start to do our games some good when we know "why" something should be done a certain way.

In all of this, I admit to be sort of selfish. The best way to learn something is to teach it. I sort of teach golf (I was also a golf coach for nearly thirty years, along with basketball.) as I write about it. The stuff gets more clear every time I think through a given problem. Believe me, I am certainly helping my own game as I attempt to help others. Additionally, we have been told to keep our minds active, and this writing helps in that regard.

So I stand guilty as charged. I drone. But seriously, the charge has validity, and I have certainly been called worse things. This was minor, and I may be wrong, but I think that things I had written were being referred to as perhaps helpful though presented rather droningly.

The best of luck to all with their games. Sincerely, Cypressperch

OP
C

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
The name is

Bond. Hank Bond, Jr.

It is obvious that you have never seen me swing. You would never have thought I was Steve after that! Maybe Retief, but not Steve.

Best of luck with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I haven't been here too long, but I like to see it when you post for precisely the reasons you were self-critiquing. You are very in depth and leave little room for misconception.

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
CP, as a late beginner, I appreciate your posts very much.

It's nice to see someone with good knowledge of the game break things down and explain what you are talking about, as opposed to a one line lame comments one could get from any of the thousands of "pro in my own mind" players we see at every golf course.

I'm a very good guitarist. I started young, and worked to a level that I feel is adequate to help others if requested without being the "Guitar god" in attitude, but then again I'm mature enough to realize that there are plenty of folks out there who could blow me out of the water. When you mature enough to respect others who are in a place you once were, and realize others are better, it cures the big head syndrome.

I meet amazing guitar players all the time. Sadly, much like the case here, they will never be a team player. It's all about them or nothing. They are usually the one's you find in the music store (or message board) all the time, because others don't want anything to do with them.

Keep up the great posts, and realize you have to look over some kids, they just don't get it yet.

🔥 Latest posts