• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Year is Winding Down Again

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a month it will be deer hunting (already bow season but I don't do that) and too cold for golf. The summer shot by pretty fast and for me it was the best golf I've ever played in my life at 66 years old. Envy you southern guys able to play year 'round but I can use the break right now. I joined a club and as a member played every day it wasn't raining and some days when it was. Right now it seems more like a job then a game. Just rambling. Feel free to join me.

Just wondering. For those northern hemisphere guys who can't play 365 days a year because of winter, does your golf club's membership fees take account of that?

Sure doesn't seem like it. Just about all memberships around here would require me to play 3 to 5 times a week just to break even. Who has that kind of time besides retirees?

Also its not like there's any other perks at these clubs. Just the golf.

Just wondering. For those northern hemisphere guys who can't play 365 days a year because of winter, does your golf club's membership fees take account of that?

Here in Kansas, we don't know what Mother Nature will deal us for winter weather. Some years we'll play golf 12 months... some 9. Longest I can remember the course being shut down was from December 7th to February 20th. Most years, we probably miss the equivalent of 4 to 5 weeks due to snow.

Green fees at our course are $20... $35 with cart. Our annual dues are $600 for unlimited golf. A buddy and I own our own cart so we pay cart storage, electricity, and trail fee on top of that. My annual invoice from the course has been running about $985. I figure I average 100 rounds/year. Good weather years, slightly more. Bad weather years slightly less. So, in our case, the annual membership is a bargain due to the number of rounds we play.

About a month it will be deer hunting (already bow season but I don't do that) and too cold for golf. The summer shot by pretty fast and for me it was the best golf I've ever played in my life at 66 years old. Envy you southern guys able to play year 'round but I can use the break right now. I joined a club and as a member played every day it wasn't raining and some days when it was. Right now it seems more like a job then a game. Just rambling. Feel free to join me.

I'm hoping for a mild winter, here. Main reason is that the old body is less tolerant of extreme heat and extreme cold each year. Second reason is that it sounds like I might be off work for November, December, and January. (I've got plenty of vacation and comp time built up that I can go 3 to 4 months and not miss a paycheck.) So... if the course is open we'll probably play. We've got the cover on the cart. Put the doors back on yesterday. Picking up some propane for the heater this week. If it snows up there, WBL, drag your old fanny down here and we'll get a round or two in!!!!!

We're still going to have a month or so to play golf here in WI. Those old guys just can't handle a little chill in the air. :D

I actually prefer golf in the 50's to low 70's. Anything above that is really too hot to hit the ball as many times as I do in a round...

Sure doesn't seem like it. Just about all memberships around here would require me to play 3 to 5 times a week just to break even. Who has that kind of time besides retirees?
Also its not like there's any other perks at these clubs. Just the golf.

limpalong

Our membership (unlimited with cart) is about $1000/year (cheapest around). I had my membership paid for by the end of June! I play into November but when it goes below 55º F I'm done. I really like the fall golf also where it's in the 60's and the trees are all colors. When the leaves start dropping and you can't find your golf ball (I'm frequently under trees) it gets a little rough but the courses are pretty empty (bowhunters, duckhunters etc are gone) and you can cruise along pretty nice. Also, the OLD old timers (the ones that look old to me like the Havercamps in Caddie Shack) can't handle the weather.

Last edited:
I just paid my annual membership ($1k). With our weather, I get to play 365 days a year (if I wanted to). But the reality is the December, January & February is usually crazy hot & humid. Even though a lot of golfers will go out in any weather, I'm not one of them. o_O

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520