• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

There is a conspiracy in the equipment biz...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
You have been lied to. Game improvement actually mean "Cheaper to make than forged, so we'll tell them cavity backs improve their game." I hit the Zuno M14s for the first time today, true muscleback blades SW-3 iron. Straighter, farther, creamy feel, and cut through the wind better. It's a lie that mere mortals can't hit blades. Never be afraid to at least try them. I retire and give way to the replies. Shove it to the man and try your blades...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I would love to hit a set of the new Mizuno's, but i'm just afraid i'll like them too much. That's crap, but it's true.

I like my X-16's alot, and there's nothing wrong with them. However, i know there's something out there that might be better for my game. But i'm trying my best to tell myself that i'm alright where I am.

Dammit BD, this is hard when i read your posts.

Bastard! ;)

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You bastard! Look what you've made me go and do!

This is making me sick. Someone send me a set of 33's. I'll give you my car in trade. Stiff flex shafts please.

R35
MP33.jpg

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Look at that slick design, the reflective lighted metal finish, the contour of the blade.... :yellow:

bd, welcome to the world of blade

:D

S

spankdoggie

Yeah, I have a set of Golfsmith blades and I haven't even broken 90 yet. There really is no comparison to the hollow cheap feel of my Maxfli cavity backs, although I use them occasionally... :yellow:

Blades are the way to go, regardless of your handicap. You need to learn the hard way, just like life.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Spank,

Welcome aboard.

I'm gonna give blades a second look. Initially, i didn't see much of a draw (literally, and figuratively!).

I'm thinking either Clevelands CG1's or Miz-32's.

R35

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Rockie,
Not a cut to your x16s at all. That is basically what I've been playing. But for me they were too improving. I now have thye m14s in the bag, and there will be a fight to get them out of my bag. Here's the story, my buddy that runs our company's golf league offered them up to me since I mentioned wanting to try baldes. I am now officially converted. Even mi****s with them aren't as bad as I expected. I find myself paying much more attention to posture, stance and grip when I play them, and I actually feel more confidence over them for this reason, and because they make the ball look bigger. Feel of a pure shot is almost indescribable. Ball eats through the wind better. Between the m14s, second place in our company's tounament yesterday, a free leftover pizza after the torney, and the 5 dozen Precept balls aforementioned buddy gave me out of the league leftovers, and it was a good weekend.

Rock, join the bd-is-a-bastard club with good cause. :) Feel the forged. Fork the dough and love it, baby.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
BD,

Nice flip with the Mizuno's. Hope they work out.

I've secretly fallen in love with the CG1's from Cleveland as far as looks go, but according to even the Cleveland website, they aren't for the everyday hack like myself. They rate a 1 in terms of forgiveness, or crappy as far as Cleveland's go. I'm not so sure how'd i'd fair hitting them.

I'm gonna wait till some other sap buys them, hates them cuz he sucks and pick a set up. Depending on how the X-16's are working, of course. :D

I also though it was great when you used the word mis-hits in your post above and those certain letters got bleeped. That's GOLD! :xxrotflma

R35

PS>....here's a pic to drool over....

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Got that one!

That's the original Jaws movie!

BTW R35, from what I've read about your game, you could handle the CG1s no problemo.

:)

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
You might save some money by going with the earlier series TA-1's. Revisit this stellar review to motivate a purchase:

"Hmm.. first i went to golfdicount.com and looked for the TA1's and i saw that it was mighty cheap. It was $349 and i didn't think they were that good considering the price. I've read some reviews from other websites about it and all say that they've been hitting well with it and that they're good clubs. So i bought it and im receiving it in a couple of days. I hope i made the right choices because im 15and ive only been playing for 4 months and i shoot in the 90's. Ill write again to tell you guys how the clubs are."

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
You have been lied to. Game improvement actually mean "Cheaper to make than forged, so we'll tell them cavity backs improve their game." I hit the Zuno M14s for the first time today, true muscleback blades SW-3 iron. Straighter, farther, creamy feel, and cut through the wind better. It's a lie that mere mortals can't hit blades. Never be afraid to at least try them. I retire and give way to the replies. Shove it to the man and try your blades...

It's not just the lie about forged vs. cast. It's also the lie about graphite vs. steel. I had always bought into the idea that graphite was better because it's suppose to be easier and longer. As I've reported, I recently switched irons and this time went S300 steel shafts with Mizune mx-23 forged. I doubt I'll ever be good enough for blades but I have noticed I'm hitting about a club longer & more accurately than with my old Berthas that had reg. graphite shafts. So where's the big advantage. It's a little embarassing to admit but there is probably a part of me that thought graphite had to be better because it cost more. :puke:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Buddha,

Thanks for the advice. When he gets back about the TA-1's, i'll buy a set. If they suck, i'll say it's the clubs and not the fact that my game isn't up to snuff.

Grazo, kudos on the game hype. But i dunno, sometimes it just works for me. I don't play it up like i'm good, i just like to have fun out there. And well done on JAWS, but that was an easy one.

Dave, the thing is with both Callaway and Ping is that the shafts they install in their irons particularily are never the flex they say they are. I've always been under the impression that one should play a flex of graphite stiffer than what they play with their steel clubs, just as a rule of thumb. They basically work out to similar flex, but as I will say, this is no science. I play Uniflex steel in my 7 wood, and it feels exactly the same flex as my Stiff flex 5 wood.

Go figure.

Anyone have some blades they wanna lend me for a couple months? I'll trade up my X-16's in the meantime.

R35

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Blades........

I wanted to buy the MP-33s this summer (I mean, I bought everything else!) but those little tiny blades scared me. What if I hit it crooked? Wait, I already hit it crooked. At least I bought steel shafts in my Clevelands. Maybe one day I'll get grown-up irons. :028:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Rockie,
Not a cut to your x16s at all. That is basically what I've been playing. But for me they were too improving. I now have thye m14s in the bag, and there will be a fight to get them out of my bag. Here's the story, my buddy that runs our company's golf league offered them up to me since I mentioned wanting to try baldes. I am now officially converted. Even mi****s with them aren't as bad as I expected. I find myself paying much more attention to posture, stance and grip when I play them, and I actually feel more confidence over them for this reason, and because they make the ball look bigger. Feel of a pure shot is almost indescribable. Ball eats through the wind better. Between the m14s, second place in our company's tounament yesterday, a free leftover pizza after the torney, and the 5 dozen Precept balls aforementioned buddy gave me out of the league leftovers, and it was a good weekend.

Rock, join the bd-is-a-bastard club with good cause. :) Feel the forged. Fork the dough and love it, baby.

bd:

Dammit you now have Me thinking of the blades now. Mizunos have been lurking in the subconscious for months now....looking forward to trying yours when we get together to play soon...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Man, I hit a MP-33 6 iron at the shop today, and all I can say is that i need some work. I would need alot of practice in order to be able to pure those babies all the time. I'd have to be playing well enough to be on Tour. Gee, maybe that's why guys on Tour play blades.

I'm doing some re-thinking. Those clubs look tougher than hell to hit. But granted, i was inside and hitting off a mat. Outdoors, i'm pretty much Tiger. :D

Those damn sexy Cg1's. Frig!

R35

Members online

No members online now.