• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

They're back.

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
A few months back a struggled with the shanks. Yes, I just mentioned that dreaded word. Well they're back and worse than ever. Played some really solid golf last week all rounds in the mid/high 70s, went to the range tonight and it happened. Over and over again and only with my wedges. When I cured the shanks last time I got with a pro and he worked it out of me. Went back to step 1 and followed what he taught me. Nothing worked. I'm playing in a tournament this week and freaking out because I'm going to look like a fool. Any help from my fellow hackers?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I actually had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back with my wedges. Everything was a hosel rocket. I put the wedges away and just hit anything else. Went back to the wedges after my confidence was back and was able to put together a decent practice. Try hitting a club you KNOW you can hit well, if that doesn't work...get drunk and forget that dreaded "s" word.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
I actually had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back with my wedges. Everything was a hosel rocket. I put the wedges away and just hit anything else. Went back to the wedges after my confidence was back and was able to put together a decent practice. Try hitting a club you KNOW you can hit well, if that doesn't work...get drunk and forget that dreaded "s" word.
That's what I'm thinking. Do you mean maybe taking a mid iron or something and just running it up to the green when I can instead of lobbing one in there?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
That's what I'm thinking. Do you mean maybe taking a mid iron or something and just running it up to the green when I can instead of lobbing one in there?
Yeah something like that, play the bump and run for awhile, get your confidence up and then just nail your wedges. :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Just had this discussion in a private conversation with WBL. Saturday, I had the worst case of shanks I can remember. Wedges, irons, even was hitting some fairway woods on the hosel. One of the worst feeling rounds in years!!!!

I believe most of my issues were the result of a bad back causing a severe over-the-top swing. But... couldn't work it out in 18 holes. If it persists... May just be time for the wife to check me in to the nursing home and I trade golf for checkers!!!!!

With so many on this board experiencing them, the cause may be...
1.) The "northeners" finally seening the last of the snow and their jumping with joy has caused a change in the Earth's rotation.
2.) AZGreg finally "got lucky" and all the pigs flying have moved the jet stream.
3.) Our buddies from South Africa and Australia are about ready to put their clubs away for the winter. They are jealous of we who are no finally able to play and have "juiced" our oatmeal!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
My neighbor shanked 3 straight balls OB yesterday. He remarked that he couldn't believe how he kept hitting them off the toe. So I showed him the marks on his hosel. He had no clue that he was shanking the ball. He didn't hit another shank after that and on the back 9 he holed out for eagle from the 100 yd marker.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Just had this discussion in a private conversation with WBL. Saturday, I had the worst case of shanks I can remember. Wedges, irons, even was hitting some fairway woods on the hosel. One of the worst feeling rounds in years!!!!

I believe most of my issues were the result of a bad back causing a severe over-the-top swing. But... couldn't work it out in 18 holes. If it persists... May just be time for the wife to check me in to the nursing home and I trade golf for checkers!!!!!

With so many on this board experiencing them, the cause may be...
1.) The "northeners" finally seening the last of the snow and their jumping with joy has caused a change in the Earth's rotation.
2.) AZGreg finally "got lucky" and all the pigs flying have moved the jet stream.
3.) Our buddies from South Africa and Australia are about ready to put their clubs away for the winter. They are jealous of we who are no finally able to play and have "juiced" our oatmeal!!
I went to the range first thing Sunday. I decided to shake it up by starting with driver. Just easy starting, and the balls flew well so I started swinging harder. They started getting a little erratic and I didnt realize it but I started helping the ball up, swinging up. I hit an entire bag of balls and destroyed my swing into this ugly short topping shot that would barely go past the front tees. I proved this point by hitting three off the starting tee that went nowhere. So I went down and picked up my balls and went back to the range and hit irons until I had my normal swingplane back. That was the most damage I have ever done on the range. I absolutely couldnt control it.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
We'll, went out and played today. I knew the first wedge shot on the range was going to dictate the rest of my round. I hit a nice solid wedge then hit another. Both good shots so I decide not to hit anymore and go into the round with confidence. Shanks disappeared. Has anyone ever shanked more off mats? I notice I do that a lot more on mats.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.