• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about Blades and Persimmons

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
United States United States
I already play with a Ping Zing maple laminate driver. But I have been flirting with the idea of having a second set of persimmon woods and blade irons. I love the way blades look and feel. And I want to take on the challenge of playing them blades and persimmons. But I'm still contemplating. Anyone make that kind of switch? What has been your experience?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I played some hickory golf last year. I cobbled together a sweet set of hickory irons, took them apart, reset and repinned all the heads, re-wrapped leather strip grips on them, and even learned to rewhip the heads with wax thread. It was a blast. Problem was, the events were all over an hour away, and were expensive to enter. I eventually sold it all. They're very hard to hit consistently. Those guys were good!

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I played some hickory golf last year. I cobbled together a sweet set of hickory irons, took them apart, reset and repinned all the heads, re-wrapped leather strip grips on them, and even learned to rewhip the heads with wax thread. It was a blast. Problem was, the events were all over an hour away, and were expensive to enter. I eventually sold it all. They're very hard to hit consistently. Those guys were good!
Not sure if I'm ready for hickory shafted clubs, but I would like to play blades and persimmons. I'm trying to decide What I should buy.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A good ball striker should be able to play the older blades and persimmon woods relatively well. Personally, I feel golf is frustrating enough with the more forgiving perimeter weighted irons and metal woods. If that's your cup of tea, go for it! You should be able to find some in fairly good condition without needing to make a large investment. Whatever makes the game of golf as fun and interesting as it can be is the way to go!!!!

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
MacGregor!
I saw a set of MacGregor v- foil blade irons that looked sweet. I was also thinking about going to Goodwill to find something cheap to practice with.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
A good ball striker should be able to play the older blades and persimmon woods relatively well. Personally, I feel golf is frustrating enough with the more forgiving perimeter weighted irons and metal woods. If that's your cup of tea, go for it! You should be able to find some in fairly good condition without needing to make a large investment. Whatever makes the game of golf as fun and interesting as it can be is the way to go!!!!
Yeah, it's all about having fun. I think that using persimmons and blades will be challenging and fun. Maybe I will use them when I play just nine holes.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Post pictures or we don't believe you;)
The grips are in poor shape. But I'm going to give them a shot. I was also looking at the Ben Hogan Apex II cameo irons. Those look sweet.
5518f6bbc512f8ddba40c4823351eed9.jpg

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The grips are in poor shape. But I'm going to give them a shot. I was also looking at the Ben Hogan Apex II cameo irons. Those look sweet.
5518f6bbc512f8ddba40c4823351eed9.jpg

I have a refinished set of Apex II irons. Beautiful, but impossible for me to hit well. Radials are much easier.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
So, I had an impulse buy that I'm actually excited about. I sold the Ben Hogan Director irons because I didn't really like the shafts on them. But the faces felt sweet. So I bought a set of Ram Tour Grind Featherlite irons for $65 on ebay. These are the sweetest looking irons I have ever seen. Can't wait to test them out.

🔥 Latest posts