• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about Blades and Persimmons

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I couldn't find many like them on eBay.
Probably not any left in existence, because....
1. I shot 128 with those @#$%^ blades and they now reside in the bottom of the pond on #18.
2. After tying them to my rear bumper to give them a lesson the way home, evidently the are scattered over the entire 20 mile trip.
3. I put them out for the trash man. Before he could pick them up, the local restauranteur stole them and is using them for butter knives.
4. Tiger Woods bought them all up and hands them out to girlfriends so they won't ruin a perfectly good 9-iron the next time he cheats and they smash windows in his Escalade.
5. PaPaD can't walk past a set as he makes his PIAS daily rounds and, even tough won't admit it, has 271 sets of these in his garage.
6. North Korea has bought them up, welds them to their nuclear warheads, assuming if the radioactivity doesn't kill you the sharp top lines of these clubs will.
7. The last 500 sets were given out as prizes during the 1988 American Horticulturists National Convention for use as tomato stakes.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I bet they won't be that bad. I have a hard time believing that they are going to be that much harder to hit than other clubs I have used.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Putter came in today.
1128de4247bf7e54a2f7eaaa16322413.jpg
ffaea875bc1cbfe51464394d06eb1d55.jpg
278421418e9196e080186bd7e5554d12.jpg
9cde05c7a7066100daad2a743f96c62e.jpg
6c930524abbaf6cdf7ba9b557d1b6fd7.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Nice Reuter's Bullseye!! One of the guys in our regular group still uses a Bullseye. Of course, it suits him since he is left-handed. For many years, I kept a Bullseye in the basement. I play golf right-handed, but write and eat left-handed. Most things I am ambidextrous. When my putting right-handed would go in the tank, I'd grab the Bullseye and play a couple of rounds putting from the other side. Found it amazing how it seemed to help and I could switch back to the more comfortable right-handed putting.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Nice Reuter's Bullseye!! One of the guys in our regular group still uses a Bullseye. Of course, it suits him since he is left-handed. For many years, I kept a Bullseye in the basement. I play golf right-handed, but write and eat left-handed. Most things I am ambidextrous. When my putting right-handed would go in the tank, I'd grab the Bullseye and play a couple of rounds putting from the other side. Found it amazing how it seemed to help and I could switch back to the more comfortable right-handed putting.
Kind of like a "reverse" Mickelson? :)

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Went to an indoor driving range yesterday and practiced with the new clubs. Was hitting the irons ok. I was having an issue hitting off the hosel. I think it's because the shafts are too long. But I'm not really sure. Never had an issue with hitting too close to the hosel in past. These irons are about an inch longer than standard. My driver was good. Averaging between 245-255. So, I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the irons and I will be good. Hit some really good 2 and 3 iron shots. Definitely can feel the sweet spot on these clubs. I'm going to keep practicing with them until I figure out the hosel shot. But I am thinking it's due to the length.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If the shafts have been extended and the lie angles not changed, the clubs will be quite a bit upright. If you address the ball as you would with a standard length iron, the toe will be up in the air. To compensate, we have to raise the grip end of the shaft which moves us closer to the ball. Moving closer, you can't get the body out of the way and connect with the ball too close to the heel. Take some 1" wide tape and wrap it around the end of the grip. Use only the grip portion below that tape. See if the choking down an inch makes any difference.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
If the shafts have been extended and the lie angles not changed, the clubs will be quite a bit upright. If you address the ball as you would with a standard length iron, the toe will be up in the air. To compensate, we have to raise the grip end of the shaft which moves us closer to the ball. Moving closer, you can't get the body out of the way and connect with the ball too close to the heel. Take some 1" wide tape and wrap it around the end of the grip. Use only the grip portion below that tape. See if the choking down an inch makes any difference.
Thanks for the advice. However I think that I have figured out what's wrong. My current Pings are 3/4 and inch longer so these clubs shouldn't be too much different. But my Pings are a lot more offset. So they close a little quicker. I'm off today, so I decided to go back to the range I shut the face just slightly and that did the trick. No more hosel rockets.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Will be a very interesting journey. If I were predicting, I'd say by the end of the season your handicap will be almost exactly where it is today. I am a believer in the axiom that golf scores, over a period of time, depend on your familiarity with and intimate knowledge of the clubs in your bag. We who bounce back and forth between styles, brands, lofts, material, etc. don't give ourselves time to develop the confidence needed with a specific set. Keep us informed as the season advances. It may be quite frustrating as you begin, but once you get deep into the season let's hope you are not only having fun but seen your scores begin to drop.
I think what you said about becoming familiar with your clubs is right. That's why I am giving myself the whole season to get acclimated with these clubs. It's so interesting how turning the club head just a few degrees has such an impact. I just looked at a video about squaring the club face at address and have realized I have been doing it wrong this whole time. Now that I am squaring the club at address correctly before I take my grip I can hit straight shots again. Looks like my Pings we're compensating for my slightly open club face.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It's always been my thought that as long as your irons fit right and were appealing to you you'll swing them just fine whether they be GI irons or blades. I've stood over some irons that were fuglier than fugly and I just couldn't swing them.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
It's always been my thought that as long as your irons fit right and were appealing to you you'll swing them just fine whether they be GI irons or blades. I've stood over some irons that were fuglier than fugly and I just couldn't swing them.
I can understand that. My goal this season was to prove two things: 1. If I play with the same clubs all season and commit to them that I will learn how to play with them no matter if they are blades or game improvement irons. 2. If I don't tinker with my swing and commit to what I do naturally without allowing others to get in my head with their "tips" that I will play more consistent and overall better golf. I'm very excited to see how this season goes.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.