• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about Blades and Persimmons

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
United States United States
Having a lot of fun with these blades. Since I have learned what a square clubface looks on these irons I have been hitting the ball really well and I like the feeling of them when I hit the sweet spot. I have really noticed how much my Pings corrected my shots. Like I said in a previous post, I wasn't accurately squaring the clubface when I took my grip. But I was hitting a high slight fade. I was able to play decent golf because of that ball flight and shape. Because I square the clubface effectively now my ball flight is lower and shape is straighter. I noticed that I have more spin on my shots too. I'm just looking at the numbers on the simulator and I'm carrying my 7 iron 141 yards and it's stopping at 143 yards. I'm used to carrying the ball around 145 yards and stopping around 153-155 yards. I'm not sure if this is normal for blade irons versus cavity back/game improvement irons.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I don't want to forget about the bullseye putter. This was the club I was most nervous about because I have used the Ping B60 putter for such a long time and was really good with it. Putting is the best and most consistent part of my game. So messing with the putter is a big deal. The bullseye putter is very surprising. I practice putting every morning. I putt 8 footers and the objective is to make 7 in a row before I stop and I'm not allowed to line up the putt. Often I make a lot more than 7 in a row. I struggled with the bullseye putter the first day because I couldn't find the sweet spot. I figured it out eventually. Yesterday I made 16 putts in a row, almost my all-time best. I'm still getting used to the fact that I have changed every club in the bag. And these clubs are so different from what I'm used to. But the experience has been a lot of fun so far.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Read on one of the forums that Moe Norman not only played with the irons I currently have, but said that they were his favorite set if irons. That's pretty cool info. I'm still feeling really good about these clubs. Trying to practice with them as much as possible before my season starts.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Went out to the backyard today to hit some golf balls. I have to admit that I was tempted to hit my Pings today. But I said I wouldn’t for the entire season. I’ve been focusing on just hitting the sweet spot of the my blade irons and not worrying about how far they go. The sweet spot on my blades are definitely sweet. Although I have hit some body tinglers that didn’t feel great. My woods actually feel better than my Zing driver. Been struggling with the bullseye putter this week. Not sure what that’s about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Going to play my first round of the season today with the vintage sticks. Will let you all know how it goes.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
So I played my first round. I said I wasn’t going to keep score this round but I wish I had. Just a few highlights; I hit the best 4 iron I have ever hit today. The feeling of the strike was pure and sweet. My 5 wood is a beast. Used it a lot today because my drives were shorter than I usually drive it. But, the 5 wood is amazing. I struggled with the putter today. It is super responsive and I hit a lot of putts long. I was most surprised by the driver. I hit a lot of fairways today. They weren’t the longest drives but they were accurate. We played with two strangers and I could tell they desperately wanted to ask me about my clubs. They seemed curious about the lack of sound my clubs make when I hit them. Can’t wait to go out again! Had so much fun with them. Wilson Duos player well with these clubs.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Played 18 yesterday at a course that I have never seen before. We kept score this time. I shot an 86. To give you some Terence I’m a 16 handicap. I was kinda frustrated after the round because the greens were like carpet. Everything was super slow. I had several putts that rolled right up to the lip and stopped. And I had a snowman on a par four because I couldn’t get out of a ridiculous bunker. The score doesn’t reflect my overall ball striking. I hit 10 fairways. The first three I didn’t hit because I’m still believing that I’m going to hit a baby fade and I keep hitting it straight so I hit my first three drives to the first cut on the left. Driving the ball about 230 on average. Irons were magic. I’m still figuring out the yardages. It has been difficult because it has been so windy here in Illinois. My wife had commented that she had never seen me play so well. I will admit that the biggest part of this is that I have made a commitment not to change anything regarding my swing or setup. I have had a bad habit in the past if taking tips from people on the course or seeing something on the golf channel and trying it, or making significant changes mid round. None of these things ever worked out so I promised that I would swing and setup in a manner that felt natural; looked and felt good to me. My game has improved because of it and this is only the second round I have played. Going to stay committed all season and see what happens.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Played 18 yesterday at a course that I have never seen before. We kept score this time. I shot an 86. To give you some Terence I’m a 16 handicap. I was kinda frustrated after the round because the greens were like carpet. Everything was super slow. I had several putts that rolled right up to the lip and stopped. And I had a snowman on a par four because I couldn’t get out of a ridiculous bunker. The score doesn’t reflect my overall ball striking. I hit 10 fairways. The first three I didn’t hit because I’m still believing that I’m going to hit a baby fade and I keep hitting it straight so I hit my first three drives to the first cut on the left. Driving the ball about 230 on average. Irons were magic. I’m still figuring out the yardages. It has been difficult because it has been so windy here in Illinois. My wife had commented that she had never seen me play so well. I will admit that the biggest part of this is that I have made a commitment not to change anything regarding my swing or setup. I have had a bad habit in the past if taking tips from people on the course or seeing something on the golf channel and trying it, or making significant changes mid round. None of these things ever worked out so I promised that I would swing and setup in a manner that felt natural; looked and felt good to me. My game has improved because of it and this is only the second round I have played. Going to stay committed all season and see what happens.

That’s awesome man, love hearing things like this.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
That’s awesome man, love hearing things like this.

Thanks. It has been a fun experience. I have learned a lot about my golf game and golf equipment in general. I really like the feel of my clubs. And I’m getting a lot of joy playing with them. Never knew forged blades felt so sweet.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Going back to the Pings this Saturday for the first time this season. I had a great time with the Spaldings. This year was my best year driving the ball. It really made a difference in my scores. Using forged blade irons was very interesting. Some of the sweetest feeling shots I had ever hit. My scores were very consistent. The one area that fell off was my putting. After a while, I didn't have that good feeling with the bullseye putter. What I'm most proud of is that I didn't tinker with my swing one bit. I think that made the most difference. It's going to be weird but gratifying going back to the Pings. I look at them everyday admiring them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.