• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about getting a 7 wood...

rick

Aug 15, 2006
How about 7 woods. I want a club that goes about 200-210 yards and high enough to hit a tight green or on a par 3. I've been thinking about getting a 7 wood (never had one before).

I have a 2 and a 3 hybrid but the 2 goes too far and too low and the 3 won't go far enough. Any suggestions all?

Thanks

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I guess this will depend on the Distance you hit and the FW's that you look at for the replacement, and the hybrids you currently play. You should be able to find one that does the trick. Stopping on the green should not be a problem either, assuming you use a ball that will allow for that. I guess I would say if your hybrid will stop on the green, the FW likely will also, although I do get a higher trajectory on my hybrid. This varies per person, and how they set up. I have heard others that get a higher trajectory on FW's, although the majority I hear say the Hybrids are higher.

I just replaced my FW's with Hybrids. I hit my G2 20* 7w about 210, and hit a the Cleveland Halo 19* hybrid about the same. Although the G2 is a stronger 7w, and the Halo is actually a 2i. It will just be a matter of demoing to find what you need. Take your hybrid down and demo 7w's until you find one that gives you the added distance on either a range or a launch monitor. You should be able to find a FW to fill any gap you need, and also pay attention to the launch angle, and from 210 it should likely stop on the green fairly close to what your hybrids do. If they do not, then I would say it is unlikely the FW will unless you changes balls, or something else.

BTW, Sling change the rules a short time ago (since you last posted) to no longer allow links in your title. You may want to fix that.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5855

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I have a 7 wood, I like it and while I can drive the ball a longs ways, I can't hit my 7 wood 210-220. I think Rock can hit his there though. My seven wood is a high and stop club good at 185-195 for me, I can lean into it and still only get right at 200, but it stops when it drops. Hope that helps a little.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I just picked up a Nike Sasquatch 5-wood with a Diamana shaft - it is so easy to hit that it is almost embarrassing. Give one a swing, I think you'll like the outcome.

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
Titleists 980F 23*, 975F 20.5*, 904F 22*

Titleists 980F 23*, 975F 20.5*, 904F 22*

Love my True Temper DG steel 975F 20.5* Five Wood, but some of y'all more modern golfers may call that a Seven Wood.
I use this when I want to maximize my chance to drive to a FW or when I'm trying to get on two on a Par 5, after a good shot with a driver. heck, I use this for any shots over 200 yards and sometimes I'll tempo down for a 190 yard Par 3. much more reliable than my Three Wood with graphite shaft, off the deck. Come to think of it, it's the only wood that I really need.

KZG's also got couple 22* Seven Woods, Wood Hybrid (shallow face), or Iron Hybrid.

My wife really likes her Adams Tight Lies ST Seven Wood from FWs and her Cleveland Halo 22* 3I hybrid (bit shorter then the seven wood) from roughs.

OP
R

rick

Aug 15, 2006
Thanks for the help guys.

Like I said I already have hybrid 2 and 3s but the 2 goes too far and runs too much. It has a very boring, low flight even with weight added via the weight ports.

I was looking for something that would go about 200-210 and stop quickly (high ball flight). I have tried one 7 wood and it did the trick but now I need to decide on one. They seem to be all different with some with very low profiles and pretty small faces and others with larger faces.

I guess I just need to try as many as possible to see what works.

Thanks.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yep, try as many clubs as you can, you'll be glad you did.

Members online

No members online now.