• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about joining a mini-tour

GolfingElectrician

Aug 13, 2005
I was wondering if anyone was ever in my situtation. I currently shoot in the mid to high 90's and was thinking about joining a mini-tour because I heard from other people that your game usually goes to a higher level. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think this is a good idea....bad idea? And tell me if anyone has done this before and if the game went to higher level.
:smilie_ti
:smilie_tm
:usflag:

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
take a look at http://www.floridagolfing.com/flgolf/tour_detail.cfm?Tour_ID=8

1. need to play to 6 handicap or less
2. $175 membership fee, $400 to $575 entry fee
3. sponsor guarentees 30% of the field will get money. (i.e. 70% of the players get nothing.)

So GE, I agree its a great fantasy, and I have it too, I got a long way to go to get to a six handicap.

Rather than a mini tour - Do you play in a league?
Also, most the courses around here have what they call "dogfights". usually a $10 entry, winner gets 50%, second 30%, third 20%, usually every week at the same time, mostly same guys (but would probably love new money :) ). these are unofficial, not course sponsored, and may require that you pay and play 5 or ten times before you get a handicap. My dad has played in one about 30 miles north of me on and off for years. and it is a three man lauderdale with random draw teams made up of three flights (one A player, one B grade player, and one C -hacker-player.

Playing for money might make you a better player. If you feel lousy after a bad shot now, you will hurt even worse after missing a put that cost you $$$. In my younger days i used to be a regular bar pool and darts player, and tho not making a living at it or anything like that, I usually covered my bar bill and had a little coin left in the pocket. My attitude was you have to pay for your education.

Me? I play golf for fun. I would have no problem with skins for a buck or two a hole, and would enjoy that. But my golfing buds arent that into wagering, I think because I dont think that of the five of them they have beat me a total of 8 times combined in the last two years.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I do think you are on the right track tho GE. Two weeks ago played with the buds in a charity (battered women) outing, three man lauderdale. I think it did a lot for our games. We tried a whole lot harder to make good shots (yeah I try now but then it was "on a different level"), We all prepared a games a bit more, with practice and also most important in mind.
Was $85 a man entry to play our regular course that usually cost $25. But got breakfast and lunch. free drinks (mimosas for breakfast, beers for lunch) and they didnt run out tho people were not shy about hitting it either. $500 first prize, $350 second and $250 third. (not as good as it sounds, Its a charity event and you can bet the winners where "shamed" into donating the prize back to the charity)
But we did play better golf and a lot of the improvement seemed to stick. One the guys was breaking a 100 maybe once in 7 or 8 times, and then its a 98 or 99. Sunday he shot a 91. I think my game was helped also. Playing with strangers and the knowledge your score is posted in front of everyone did- as you say "take it to another level".

And you meet interesting people. Shared a table at lunch with the sheriff. I think he and I were the only ones still sober after everyone else had been drinking since 8 in the morning, and I am not so sure about him :).

MisterJJ

Consumate Hacker
Feb 4, 2006
Look at the free brochures in your pro shop. I found a "Hacker's Tour" locally. It's run by a guy who was tired of the lack of sportsmanship and high cost of the mini-tours he was playing. This Hacker's Tour is only the cost of green fees plus $7 toward end of season prizes. It is set up with five different brackets for various handicaps. I am playing at a 24 handicap, and I'm in the fourth bracket. I can't speak for how it will affect your game as I just joined and haven't played in an event yet, but I am looking forward to it.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I stand corrected. there are a ton of minitours on the net that are a lot more like misterJJ joined.

🔥 Latest posts