• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking about making a run for it...

davefud

Jan 31, 2010
When I was younger it was always a dream of mine to play pro golf, and throughout my life I've just never found the determination to do so. There were always other things in my life that I was distracted by.

After working at Golfsmith for a few months now I've learned so much more about golf equipment and clubmaking and am developing relationships with golf pros that will help me make the swing changes that I've been wanting to make for a few years now. Additionally, I've had a few other things happen in my personal life that have made me believe that I can really work for it and make golf a WAY more important and prominent part of my life.

Background: I'm 23 years old, college grad. I've been hovering around a 1-2 handicap for the last 6 years or so. I've been playing since I was about 7 or 8 and have been playing in tournaments since I was about 13. I was the medalist at my high school conference championship senior year, and played one year in D1 college. I haven't won any other tournaments. Haven't really even contended in anything else.

Basically I'm just wondering what you guys think. Think I can make a run at it? Are there many stories out there about players who waited a while to make their run?

r23

Feb 6, 2010
I say go for it. You don't want to look back many years from now and say i wish i would have tried. Whats the worst that could happen?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There is only one way you will ever know if you can make it or not. No one here is going to tell you that you can or can't.

If its in your heart, you will do your best, and your best will either be good enough or it won't. Plain and simple.

My advice, give it a shot. Whats the worst that could happen?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Definitely give it a go. My biggest regret is that I didn't go to the open tryouts for the Memphis Grizzlies, the old USFL team in Memphis. Would I have made the team, I doubt it, but I'll never know because I didn't go.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Well... going for it and failing doesn't sound nearly as bad as not going for it and wondering what if.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think there's a more colossal gap now between "pro" golfers and club champions than ever before. The technology available to the pros is incredible, and at arm's reach. They can see their swing from so many angles, they have workouts that probably foster strength and stability for their particular swing, etc....

You're DEFINITELY fighting an uphill battle. But If this is what you want to do, you'd be a fool not to. Just, please, practice your putting. A lot. It's the only thing you'll have on them.

bjkabe

Feb 13, 2010
Why not take some small steps to begin with? Compete in the big amateur tourneys in your area. If you're interested in making a career in golf, perhaps you could become a teaching pro by getting PGA certified (takes 2 - 5 years, and I'm sure you could pass the PAT on the first try). If you go the teaching pro route, you can enter some local pro tournaments.
A piece of advice I received from an LPGA pro is that the difference between a top amateur and a pro is the skill level from 30 yards and in.
Best of luck!

OP
D

davefud

Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm definitely going to hit the ground running this year. Lots and lots and lots of short game practice. I'm a Chicago kid so I'm signed up for the CDGA Amateur, the Illinois State Amateur, and the Illinois Open. Any other suggestions? I feel like I could benefit from entering into some tourneys with a little more... I don't know... talent, I guess? There are good players in these things but I'd like to get into some bigger amateur stuff if possible.

Again, thanks.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I think there is no problem to start with it. You're young and there is always a way to turning back in case things don't work the way you would have wanted them to. You can start as someone said (and I think its a great piece of advice), getting PGA certified, and playing smaller tournaments, which would help you to recognize your real potential. With time you'll be able to discover if your skill really is enough for the next level. If half way through your journey you realize you can't make it, then you quit and you've lost NOTHING. if you think you can keep going further, well, congrats!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Why not take some small steps to begin with? Compete in the big amateur tourneys in your area. If you're interested in making a career in golf, perhaps you could become a teaching pro by getting PGA certified (takes 2 - 5 years, and I'm sure you could pass the PAT on the first try). If you go the teaching pro route, you can enter some local pro tournaments.
A piece of advice I received from an LPGA pro is that the difference between a top amateur and a pro is the skill level from 30 yards and in.
Best of luck
!

That and the skill level difference between a pro and top amateur is also the same as the skill difference between and 18 handicapper and a scratch golfer. Still though, what the hell, go for it.

🔥 Latest posts