• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinking i need some practice regimin or something..

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Well, ive been thinking, i havent honestly "practiced" since last summer, early fall. All i have doing is playing. I want to try and get back into practice. I would like ideas on what to do? I want to master things from green to tee, maybe allowing myself to play once a week, or every other week. But pracitice 5-6 days a week.

I was thinking

Monday: Putting 1-2 hours
Tuesday: Chipping/flop shots
Wednesday: Stability ball or core exersizes
Thursday: Putting
Friday: Off
Saturday: Putting and workouts.
Sunday: Playing or chipping

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
I figure i'd go at this for maybe a month or two, but letting myself hit maybe a bucket a week, just to keep my swing alive. Then when i feel ive progressed enough, move on to 150 yards and in. By then, summer or playing season will be around, and i'll work more on long irons/woods/driver while playing. I eventually want to have a plan where i cover all aspects of the game once a week, with some workouts too.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
You might find your practices more enjoyable

by combining putting with chipping and other short shots. That much putting (1-2 hours) is going to put a strain on your back, and it will be difficult to maintain full concentration. On your short game, I would work on a variety of shots with a variety of clubs. Out there in your golfing future there is a shot that requires every shot you can imagine. Imagination is very important with every aspect of golf, and possibly most important as we get closer to the pin.

It seems that you are correctly placing emphasis on the short game, but I think I would devote some time with full shots with all clubs from the beginning.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

(When we had family in Columbus, Ohio, I played around fifteen courses in that area over a three year period. Those were some really good courses, and I hear the whole state has such as those. Too bad, that golf is sometimes brought to a standstill by the weather. Those brauts at Champions in Columbus were great.)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Brats at Black Wolf Run are better!! Johnsonville brats are THE brats and made in Sheboygan near Kohler where those courses are. If you can find them in the store you take them and "boil" them in beer that has a couple large onions sliced up in it and a little water until they swell up good. Then put them on the grill. When done put them back in the beer and onions until ready to put in a bun and you'll truly know what they're supposed to taste like. When I lived in NC for five years I "converted" many a rebel to eating them. On every trip up north (twice a year) to visit family I would have to bring CARTONS of frozen Johnsonville brats back for all my converts. :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
A big thing if your making up a regimine, as soon as your not having fun or start getting frustrated, STOP. When you start getting frustrated/tired etc you pickup bad habits. Keep it light and fun and it'll have far better results.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Well today was my first day, and i stuck to it pretty well. I chipped for maybe 45 mins, hit a large bucket, then chipped for another 45-50 mins. I went through and did basic chips, bump in runs from 60*, PW, 9I, 7I, 5I, and 4 wood. Then I did flops for about 20 mins, moved on to maybe 20-30 yard chips/flops. When hitting balls I worked on the nearest two greens, using PW, 9I, 8I almost 90% of the time, I hit a couple 5 Iron shots, a couple 4wood, and 5 or so Driver shots. Sandpiper- the thing about me is, i get just as much if not more enjoyment out of going and being by my lonesome at the range or by the greens then I do playing a round of golf. When I find a hobby, or in this case an obbsession, I am a perfectionist, much like Hogan. I will find myself gripping and regripping a cut down shaft i have for hours a day, when im watching tv, reading, or studying. Tommorrow I will be doing workouts with a stability ball and other exersizes since it is supposed to snow here, as soon as that clears up I'll be pissing my life away at the range and greens again :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Sandpiper- the thing about me is, i get just as much if not more enjoyment out of going and being by my lonesome at the range or by the greens then I do playing a round of golf. When I find a hobby, or in this case an obbsession, I am a perfectionist,
Crossfire

Man, trust me im the same way, i absolutely love being out there practising. One tihng ive noticed though is some days it just kinda sucks for watever reason and i tried to fight through one of those days, i had to fight back through some bad habits i picked up in my putting for a month...

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Country
Warbirdlover, I do not know what brand they

were serving at Champions in Columbus, Ohio, but they were great. They may have been Johnsonville. I do not know how they were preparing them either, but your method sounds great. I do not know how you could be doing something wrong using beer and onions! They have Johnsonville stuff down here already including some Beer Brats that were prepared using beer and regular brats (You only capitalize when accompanies a term.). Up to now, I have just grilled them with lots of turning until they are a very dark, reddish brown (maybe a tad black in spots). I might put a bit of Cajun mustard on them, but usually I just put them in a bun and they are gone. Thanks for the recipe, and I think the real reason destiny brought me to this forum has been revealed.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Well today was my first day, and i stuck to it pretty well. I chipped for maybe 45 mins, hit a large bucket, then chipped for another 45-50 mins. I went through and did basic chips, bump in runs from 60*, PW, 9I, 7I, 5I, and 4 wood. Then I did flops for about 20 mins, moved on to maybe 20-30 yard chips/flops. When hitting balls I worked on the nearest two greens, using PW, 9I, 8I almost 90% of the time, I hit a couple 5 Iron shots, a couple 4wood, and 5 or so Driver shots. Sandpiper- the thing about me is, i get just as much if not more enjoyment out of going and being by my lonesome at the range or by the greens then I do playing a round of golf. When I find a hobby, or in this case an obbsession, I am a perfectionist, much like Hogan. I will find myself gripping and regripping a cut down shaft i have for hours a day, when im watching tv, reading, or studying. Tommorrow I will be doing workouts with a stability ball and other exersizes since it is supposed to snow here, as soon as that clears up I'll be pissing my life away at the range and greens again :)
When practicing chipping, practice getting up and down. What I do is get 8 balls, throw them to a different location around the green, and keep chipping until I get all 8 up and down on the same go. This way you're htting lots of different chips instead of hitting 10 balls the same way and just getting in a groove.

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
I think it would be advantageous to do some benchmarking like the one on the Golfer's Red Zone Challenge. I find it hard to practice for long periods of time with out seeing progress and because improvement will be incremental I forget what areas I've improved in and get discouraged. By benchmarking you can retest and see what areas you’re improving and tailor your training appropriately.

Never mistake motion for action; be focused on what you want to achieve with this practice and bench mark for the results. Perception is not always reality and I mistakenly practice things I am good at.

If you have bad weather you still can putt on carpet or use ping pong or Almost Balls to practice indoors. (Winter sucks!)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Brats at Black Wolf Run are better!! Johnsonville brats are THE brats and made in Sheboygan near Kohler where those courses are. If you can find them in the store you take them and "boil" them in beer that has a couple large onions sliced up in it and a little water until they swell up good. Then put them on the grill. When done put them back in the beer and onions until ready to put in a bun and you'll truly know what they're supposed to taste like. When I lived in NC for five years I "converted" many a rebel to eating them. On every trip up north (twice a year) to visit family I would have to bring CARTONS of frozen Johnsonville brats back for all my converts. :)

Those brats I had a few weeks ago at the Stadium View Bar up at Lambeau were (dare I say it) orgasmic. The secret is to do most of the cooking in the beer and onions. The grill (very hot) sears on the outside and internally steams the brat. Oh man. Here's a recipe:

8 bratwurst
One large onion, chopped
4 to 5 Tablespoons of butter
1 to 2 12-ounce beers (an American or German lager works best); or substitute with water or beef stock
Kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper
8 high-quality rolls
Place tin grill pan or cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven (we recommend cast iron) on one side of a medium to medium-hot grill and melt butter in it. Add chopped onions to melted butter, with a little salt and pepper to taste (about ½ teaspoon or more each). When onions soften, add beer (or other liquid) and bratwurst, turn up the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove brats with tongs and place over hot grates on other half of the grill.

“The big thing in Wisconsin,” said Dominguez, “is to char the outside of the bratwurst. The crispier and darker, the better. It will stay nice, juicy and tender in the middle.”

Serve the bratwurst on a torpedo, sub, Kaiser or other large roll (an ordinary hot dog roll simply doesn’t cut it). Top with mustard and/or sauerkraut and/or onions.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Don't forget to switch out your regiment. If you constantly do the same thing over and over, you may get bored, and subsequently, lazy.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Country
Jeff, can I ask you a favor? Be carefuf

about using the word "lazy" around here, at least for a while.
icon7.gif

Sincerely, Cypressperch

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
Basically, 1-2h putting is just nuts. After 30 min its a waste of time as your concentration lessons considerably.

One of the best practices would be distance practice 2x per week. Take 6 balls chip 3x increasing the distance by 5-8m each time. Then pitch 3x increasing distances by 10m each time. Pick up and repeat for 60min or so. Other way to do it is to lay out 6 cones 10m apart and chip and pitch to each cone increasing the distance.

Basically:
Mon distance drill
Tues chipping and putting practice 30min each
Wed work out
Thursday distance drill
Friday off or putting or range - flexible depending on mood

🔥 Latest posts