• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Third Annual June Wisconsin ShotTalk Outing!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'll be a strong maybe for this one. I've enjoyed all the WI outings a lot - there is really a great group of guys here. Our legendary outings attract from as far as California! I'm in the job search right now and honestly have NO IDEA where I will end up yet or what I will be doing in June...

I will try to make it if possible but won't know for a while yet.
If I can watch you pitch the ball right into the golf cart again that'd be great. Lol... good times.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Currently unemployed right now, but if the situation rights itself I'd be down for some miniature flag sticks again.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks. Lots of job prospects, including 1 in South Dakota.

What do you guys know about Pierre, any golf, things to do or places to eat?
I spent one winter in Pierre. Second least populated state capitol in the U.S. Something like 13,000 people. I had never been there before in my life. Arrived in January, left in April. From the first day I arrived, you would have thought I was a life long resident. The residents know no strangers.

Beautiful river walk, all paved, along the Missouri. Beautiful State Capitol building you MUST tour. Lake Oahu Dam, just north of town was once the world's longest earthen dam. If you get a chance to tour the hydroelectric plant, don't pass it up! I got a "personal" tour, down in the "bowels" of the plant, 250 FT +/- below the surface water level. Plant/dam dedicated in 1962, by President Kennedy, almost 1 year before he was assassinated.
During the winter, deer roam the City streets. The local police have to "remove" them for safety's sake. You can put your name on the list and when they have to shoot one, they'll call the first name on the list to come get it. Take it to the local locker plant and have it butchered... all legally.
Pierre is one of only 5 State Capitols that is not served by an interstate highway. I-90 is almost 30 miles to the south.
SD has no personal property taxes on your auto, boat, camper, etc. Pierre has a small airport, with service to Denver and other places. There's a Super WalMart, etc. Just south of the Day's Inn, on the main street, is a locally owned outdoor equipment store. HUGE firearms, ammunition, fishing, boating, etc. inventory.
Golf?? Being there when temps reached -26 F... windchills reaching -52F... snow shoulder deep to a tall giraffe... I didn't have the opportunity to check out the courses. Drove by the one just on the south end of town. Looked wide open. I understand there are some quite avid golfers in the community, even though the golf season is relatively short.... compared to down here.
As you can tell, I was impressed! I, personally, would never move there. At our age, I am not tolerant of Old Man Winter. However, the hospitality of the people made my stay there extremely enjoyable.

Oh, if you visit, there's a steak house just south of town, on a hill to the east of the highway. Don't leave Pierre without having one meal there. Go there on an empty stomach, if you like great steaks!!!!

PooN

Jan 23, 2013
waukesha, wi
Country
New guy here. I think I can swing a Saturday of golf if I don't have any family events. I've never played Glen Erin, so I'll have to make sure to get down there this spring and get a feel for the course.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
New guy here. I think I can swing a Saturday of golf if I don't have any family events. I've never played Glen Erin, so I'll have to make sure to get down there this spring and get a feel for the course.
No practice rounds allowed... we all have to suck the same.:)

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I'd like to drive out for this but I thing the midwest still has a restraining order out on me.

🔥 Latest posts