• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This ever happen to anybody???

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Yesterday I was playing alone and having a solid round. I got to the 15th tee, a long par 5, and as I got to the top of my backswing someone at one of the nearby houses hollared to try and F me up. Well it worked and I hit my tee shot OB. I was not sure exactly which house otherwise there would have been a confrontation. I hollered back a a string of obsenities and challenged whoever it was to come out and man up. I tried to finish out the hole but I was so pissed off I ended up picking up the ball and walking off the course. Completely ruined a good round.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
No, but I think it's funny as heck that you let one idiot ruin a good round, fish. I can see the guy sitting in his house, rolling on the floor laughing while you scream obscenities and challenge him to a duel.

Whoever it was, he completely owned you...and he knows it.

Yeah, what he did was wrong. But, imagine if you'd taken a deep breath, shook it off, and smoked one down the middle without saying a word....

I really don't mean any of that in a rude fashion towards you...just something to think about the next time it happens. ;)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have to agree with MC Fish. The guy was an obvious D'bag for what he did.

But you did over react and gave the guy the satisfaction of knowing he accomplished exactly what he was trying to do.

I'd have just tee'ed up another ball finished my round.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
That never bothers me....and usually, if someone is anticipating doing it to me, they tend to do it during my practice swing...

But the douch bag got the best of you.....I would never have let him feel the satisfaction by yelling at the air as ya did....

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I think its a little easier to say it wouldn't bother you than it would be in real life. At the time this happened I had a very good score going with four holes left to play. I was in the realm of shooting a personal best score. Now I'm taking a drop. The next shot was blocked way right nearly OB and the shot after that was again blocked way right of the green and nearly OB. I likely would have made a tripple on what is normally a birdie hole. One thing I can not do is play good golf when I am that pissed off. At that point my score was wrecked and there was no point continuing.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I think its a little easier to say it wouldn't bother you than it would be in real life. At the time this happened I had a very good score going with four holes left to play. I was in the realm of shooting a personal best score. Now I'm taking a drop. The next shot was blocked way right nearly OB and the shot after that was again blocked way right of the green and nearly OB. I likely would have made a tripple on what is normally a birdie hole. One thing I can not do is play good golf when I am that pissed off. At that point my score was wrecked and there was no point continuing.
Buddy...i play on a course that is right next to the highway...people yell out their windows, honk horns, etc the whole time...

Doesn't bother me in the least. Is it annoying, yes, should they do it, no, can you do anything about it, no. Get over it, work on your concentration, play better golf.

Unless you had thousands of dollars riding on this shot, its really not the end of the world.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Should of acted like you didn't hear him... now this jackass will probably make a habbit of it

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Buddy...i play on a course that is right next to the highway...people yell out their windows, honk horns, etc the whole time...

Doesn't bother me in the least. Is it annoying, yes, should they do it, no, can you do anything about it, no. Get over it, work on your concentration, play better golf.

Unless you had thousands of dollars riding on this shot, its really not the end of the world.

Again, easier said than done. If I was playing in a place like you describe it would be expected to have noises durring your swing. It would be expected and easy to block out. I've played places like that and its not a big deal.

Now put yourself in my shoes on a private course where you haven't heard a sound other than the birds chirping and the sound of your club hitting the ball for the past 6 or 7 holes then all of a suddon there is a loud yell perfectly timed with the top of your backswing. I admit it, I jumped out of my frggin skin in the middle of my swing. My ball hooked OB and I was lucky it didn't hit a house or somebody's car. I was definately shaken by the experience. Did I handle it well, probably not.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Alright, your right.

But why are you dwelling on it? Why keep yourself pissed off for longer than its needed?

Instead of saying oh poor me, just let it go and get out there and shoot a better round next time.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Happens to me all the time. My course is on a college campus, so there are lots of douchebags present to honk and cause general mayhem. Doesn't bother me any; I realize that while I am having a good time on the golf course, they are driving around honking at golfers for amusement--I am above them, for the time being. I suppose if you aren't used to it, and especially on a quiet private course, it might bug you a bit.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
If I was just out there goofing off and smacking it around I wouldn't have let it bother me but I am out there trying to shoot low scores. That is my entire objective on the course. My goal is to break par this season and I was within striking distance this particular round with four holes to play. To have the round spoiled like that really bothered me and with a tripple on the card there was no chace of making it this round. I also didn't want to create a snowball by making a bunch of tensed up pissed off swings. My swing has been very good lately and I really don't want to mess it up by hitting a bunch of bad shots......at that point its better to just go in and work on some putting and chipping which is exactly what I did.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
The guy that yelled probably doesn't even play golf...as strange as that sounds I live on a course and there are 20 houses that line the fairway.....take a guess at how many of my neighbors play ......zero.....boggles my mind, but it's a fact. Fish, like MC said, you were the most fun that a-holes had in months.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
They will get theirs. Karma is a 220 yard uphill par three with a green that slopes front to back.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
They will get theirs. Karma is a 220 yard uphill par three with a green that slopes front to back.
Shoot, i would hit a 64º into that, land it on the back fringe and spin it back up to the cup.

Karma for this guy is for a hard pull hook to come through his bedroom window and bust him right in the balls while he is trying to give it to his wife....thats for effing up someone else while they were trying to perform.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.