• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

this is what i just bought...

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
Nickent Genex 3DX IRONWOOD 20 deg 3 Hybrid Purple ICE X - eBay (item 300206355841 end time Mar-17-08 19:06:31 PDT)

my family and everyone i know thinks im addicted to golf club buying and selling like its crack... i do it a lot i know... but i only do it when i think its a good deal... and i think this is a great deal especially with the purple ice x flex shaft! im getting ready to pull the trigger on some nickent 3dx pros with rifle project x 7.0s im not saying ill be able to hit them. im saying im going to buy them and see if i can hit them. 7.0 is pretty darn stiff lol. what in the hell is wrong with me?!

come to think of it i should be able to hit these with no problem only lower and a little bit shorter than my stiff flex irons... just more accurately... am i right in my train of thought here? i mean the stiffer the shaft the shorter the distance but more control right? correct me if im wrong. i really am curious now.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
surely if the shafts are too stiff, you're going to find a slice or block right? I found that when I played some 7.0s. Just couldn't hit the big irons, but everything from a 5 down was good, so I went for 6.5s...

Release

Mar 2, 2008
I thought if the flex is too stiff for the golfer, the ball flight should be going right ( for a righty ).
If the ball flight is going left ( righty ), your SS is OTI for a boardy shaft.

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
well here is my feelings on it... im thinking as long as i maintain lag in the downswing and hit down on the ball from the inside while still turning the clubface over with a natural release i should be fine. i am aware that the weaker shafts are there to help you get the clubface to square i mean if you just watch the club face on the downswing the shaft bends as to allow the club face to square up... but that could be complete and utter mumbo jumbo... just stand in your house and take a half back swing and swing down and kind of stop and watch the deflection of the shaft you should see the club face turn over a little bit and come to what should be square or a little open it depends i guess on the flex. but thats my feeling on it. you can tell me if im full of it.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I've got a Purple Ice 85S sitting here in the shop and it's a telephone pole. I can't even imagine what an X would be like. I predict you'll hit everything to the right with that club.

It is a good head though. The Purple Ice is a relatively cheap shaft (hence why I have one sitting here :laugh:) so maybe you'll want to swap it out with something a bit more manageable.

But hey, hit it and see what you think.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Well here's what my creditable source said and unless the driver shaft is a totally different thing.
Rockford35 said:
Topflite_D2 said:
Hey sorry to bother you. I have a stupid question. If the shaft in your driver is too stiff will you hook the ball?

Generally, yes. The shaft recovers too quickly and brings the head past the hands, resulting in a hook.

I'm an anomoly, as Xstiff shafts for me result in a block. Too soft is a slice. Banana slice, which is normal.

As a rule, most people use shafts that are 1/2 flex too much for their swing. Softer is usually always better. It creates the need for a more fluid swing, and more cases than not, better control.

T

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.