• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This makes me wanna puke.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
But is your tip dependent on the service? I mean, if you don't get asked what you want to drink for 20 minutes and your food come out cold, do you still leave 20%?

R35

Bad service in my experience has been rare. If there is ever anything wrong with my meal it is usually the kitchen's fault. I can't remember having service so bad it didn't warrant a tip tho.

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004
My tipping is definitely service related.

I have neglected to leave a tip once in my life. That instance was exceptionally bad service.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
At least the majority here feels my side of this (which is rare :D).

I've tipped zero in the past. Once it was at my sister's birthday. We had 10 people there and our waitress was just terrible. My dad never even got his drink even after repeated requests for it. I ended up talking with the manager and getting a discount on my cheque. I told him i wasn't unhappy with the food, that I just wanted the assurance that he would properly train that woman or fire her. The next week, a friend of a friend that is a hostess there said she was fired because of "poor performance after repeated warnings."

Some people just don't get it, and some do. And those that do get good tips and probably make more money than I do.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I usually tip 20% if it's good service but I've left as little as dime before too.

The dime tip was left at a very well known seafood restaurant on the coast and it was without a doubt the worst service I've ever experienced. We were literally the last people to leave the restauant and we got there 3 hrs. before closing. The food wasn't even that good.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I usually tip 20% if it's good service but I've left as little as dime before too.

The dime tip was left at a very well known seafood restaurant on the coast and it was without a doubt the worst service I've ever experienced. We were literally the last people to leave the restauant and we got there 3 hrs. before closing. The food wasn't even that good.

What a waste of a dime. I woulda stolen the salt and pepper shakers.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I work for tips too. Except I get a lot more than $3 per hour. The standard is pretty much $20 but once in a while $50-$60. I've gotten over $100 a few times also. I definitely don't expect it. I always tip at restuarants and usually 20% if the job is done well. I expect to get drinks and have the order placed within 5minutes, 10minutes max. When I am finished I expect the bill within the same amount of time. I will drop to 10% if I am waiting like 15minutes after my meal is finished to see a bill. Get me my meal quickly, refill my drink once and give me the bill, I don't think that's too much to ask for 20%.

Was that a Seinfeld episode?? They put the tip on the table when they 1st sit down and keep taking dollars away??
icon10.gif

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I tip based on service as well. I have tipped as low as 3% and as high as 38%

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Ez, coula been seinfeld too, but i particularly remember watching the same thing happen on "3rd rock from the sun"

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
A tip should be left up to one's discretion. If one feels that they can afford to leave a reasonable tip for the service they've been given, then that should be left entirely up to each individual concerned.

However, one should never expect a tip and people should be grateful if they get one, no matter how much it is! :)

Great idea, why I remember my sister waitressing a bit and getting 2.50 an hour.

So when she would get small tips, but that sure was nice.

Give me a break SR, these waiters and waitresses have lives and if they are getting meager pay from the restaurant, it's only fair to at least be nice to them.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just did a small 4hr. moving job this morning. I got paid $70 for the job from my boss and got a $100 tip from the customer.
icon10.gif
Sweeet!!

smileyrose

Aug 17, 2006
Tipping

>>>>>>Give me a break SR, these waiters and waitresses have lives and if they are getting meager pay from the restaurant, it's only fair to at least be nice to them.<<<<<

Yeah I totally agree with you, anyone who can afford to play golf should be able to afford to tip really well! Don't worry, I'm not totally disagreeing with you, just that I can't afford to play golf, so that entitles me 'not' to tip, no matter how much a waiter/waitress earns. Besides, I don't owe them a living, it's entirely up to their bosses to do that for them!

It's a little like husbands, if they expect their wives to give up their careers in order to care for the children and to make more family commitments, then it should be down to them as the boss so to speak, to make certain that they are 'fully' compensated for all of their troubles if they then divorce! But I think as long as a female is well looked after once divorce has taken place and she has a good standard of living even after divorce, then she need not complain, it's when divorce takes place and she's forced to drop her standard of living that it really matters.

Just the other day someone stopped me in the street and asked if I'd please give or sign up for some 'needy' cause....and my reply was, I've just gone through divorce, my ex divorced me whilst I was a full time Mother, so I am the needy so please go ahead and give! He gave me an odd kind of look and then walked off! I think he thought I was joking because of the clothes I was wearing, however, its all a matter of what the eye sees on the surface, then that person must be well off...but little did he know that they were all clothes 'mostly' accumulated in marriage!

So going back to tipping...just because someone may appear to look well off sometimes, it doesn't necessary mean that they are...so please don't expect me to tip you!

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i agree that it's a service thing. I too have left nothing - for bad service, like waiting 30 mins to even be asked what i wanted to drink!! I almost walked out of that one, but the wife was hungry!

Here in the UK it's generally accepted to be about 10% of the bill - but i've left 5% before at a really posh place that cost the equivalent of $250 for 4 of us (no alcohol) - because it was a treat for us, and i just couldn't justify the extra £25 - no matter how good or bad the service was.

If restaurants want to have an inclusive service charge - that's fine with me, as long as i know beforehand, i can decide to eat there or not.

ecooke21

Sep 6, 2006
I normaly tip about 22-25% pecent (usually round up on the bill). If I have really poor service, I will tip change (usualy a couple of pennies) this way the waitperson knows they are a poor server..

In my opinion, if you cant afford to tip, you cant afford to eat out, period! Stick with the drive through at Mc'D's

Wait people depend on tips, to pay there bills..

poor/no tippers are a pet-peave of mine..I have never waited a table in my life, but now people who have/do

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
In my opinion, if you cant afford to tip, you cant afford to eat out, period! Stick with the drive through at Mc'D's

AMEN !!

If I can't afford to play golf, should I steal clubs and sneak on the course?

If I can't afford hamburger, should I steal a steak?

On the other hand - why are we expected to tip someone who brings us a plate of eggs and bacon, and maybe refills our coffee once, but not tip someone who brings us an Egg McMuffin?

Why should I tip someone who cleans my golf clubs at the end of a round (thanks, but I clean them after every shot).

Why shouldn't I tip the maid who cleans my hotel room? I tried to leave a pound at a Scottish B&B, and it was there when I got back to the room. The staff thought I was daft.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I normaly tip about 22-25% pecent (usually round up on the bill). If I have really poor service, I will tip change (usualy a couple of pennies) this way the waitperson knows they are a poor server..

poor/no tippers are a pet-peave of mine..I have never waited a table in my life, but now people who have/do

If they depend on that tip to pay their bills, then they bloody well better do their jobs.

I can't speak for dicks that don't ever tip, and I'm sure there are a few. But for the VAST majority of the public, going out to eat is a SERVICE, in which you expect a certain level of attention. I mean, if everyone ate at home, how much money would those people expecting tips make?

Tips are based solely on the level of service that's provided. If it's poor, you get a poor tip. if it's outstanding, you get a great tip.

Openly stating that people can't afford to tip is prepostourous. Tipping is assumed when you go out - but - it is tied directly to the level of service that you get. I know of no one that doesn't tip because they can't afford it.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.