• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This should Chap a few bottoms around this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Tiger Woods still the game's biggest earner despite 2010 woes

al.yimg.com_a_p_us_news_editorial_d_0c_d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpeg
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> if(!YAHOO){var YAHOO = {};} YAHOO.BuzzWidgetTries = 0; (function(){ if(YAHOO && YAHOO.util && YAHOO.util.Event && YAHOO.Media && YAHOO.Media.Buzz){ (function(){ var buzz = new YAHOO.Media.Buzz("buzz-top",{"sync":"buzz-bottom","countPosition":"after","fetchCount":false,"loc_strings":{"buzz_up":"Buzz up!","buzzed":"Buzzed!","one_vote":"{0} vote","n_votes":"{0} votes"}});buzz.onSuccess.subscribe(function(){ if(YAHOO.Updates){ YAHOO.Updates.Disclosure.showDialog({"container":"yup-container","source":"buzz","type":"buzzUp","lang":"en-US"}); } }); })();(function(){ var buzz = new YAHOO.Media.Buzz("buzz-bottom",{"sync":"buzz-top","countPosition":"after","fetchCount":true,"loc_strings":{"buzz_up":"Buzz up!","buzzed":"Buzzed!","one_vote":"{0} vote","n_votes":"{0} votes"}});buzz.onSuccess.subscribe(function(){ if(YAHOO.Updates){ YAHOO.Updates.Disclosure.showDialog({"container":"yup-container","source":"buzz","type":"buzzUp","lang":"en-US"}); } }); })(); } else if(YAHOO.BuzzWidgetTries < 10000) { YAHOO.BuzzWidgetTries += 500; setTimeout(arguments.callee, 500); } })(); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> YAHOO = window.YAHOO || {}; YAHOO.Media = YAHOO.Media || {}; YAHOO.Media.SocialButtons = YAHOO.Media.SocialButtons || {}; (function(){ var o_facebook_iframe_url="http://l.yimg.com/b/social_buttons/facebook-share-iframe.php?u={url}&t={title}"; YAHOO.Media.SocialButtons.conf = { tracking: { _S: 7666489, pkg: "http:\/\/news.yahoo.com\/s\/nm\/20101231\/sp_nm\/us_golf_woods_earnings", intl: 'us', lang: 'en-US', ct:'a' }, content: { url: "http:\/\/news.yahoo.com\/s\/nm\/20101231\/sp_nm\/us_golf_woods_earnings", title: "Tiger+Woods+still+the+game%26%2339%3Bs+biggest+earner+despite+2010+woes+-+Yahoo%21+News", mail_locale: "us", mail_property: "news", mail_meta: "&h1=nm/20101231/sp_nm/us_golf_woods_earnings&h2=T&h3=576", print_url: "http:\/\/news.yahoo.com\/s\/nm\/20101231\/sp_nm\/us_golf_woods_earnings\/print" }, config: { facebook_iframe_url: o_facebook_iframe_url } }; })(); </SCRIPT>
<CITE class=caption>Reuters – Tiger Woods tees off on the 11th hole during the third round of the Chevron World Challenge golf tournament … </CITE>

<!-- end #main-media -->
<!-- end .primary-media -->
<!-- end .related-media --><CITE class=vcard>By Mark Lamport-Stokes Mark Lamport-stokes </CITE>– <ABBR class=timedate title=2010-12-30T20:47:53-0800>Thu Dec 30, 11:47 pm ET</ABBR>
<!-- end .byline -->LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Tiger [COLOR=#366388 !important]Woods[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] has once again ended a calendar year as golf's top earner, despite suffering a pay cut of $48 million after losing his swing and his marriage and failing to win a single tournament.
The American world number two, who celebrated his 35th birthday on Thursday, topped [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Golf [COLOR=#366388 !important]Digest[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] magazine's annual list for 2010 with overall earnings of $74.2 million.
Of that, only $2.29 million came from tournament purses with the rest accumulated off-course through endorsements and appearance fees.
Fellow American Phil Mickelson was second with total earnings of $40.18 million, followed by Arnold Palmer ($36 million), Greg Norman fourth ($30 million) and [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Jack [COLOR=#366388 !important]Nicklaus[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] fifth ($25.17 million).
Jim Furyk, who collected a $10 million bonus for winning the PGA Tour's season-long FedExCup in September, was sixth on $23.58 million.
Other players featuring in the top 50 included South Africans [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Ernie [COLOR=#366388 !important]Els[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] seventh ($21.5 million) and Gary Player eighth ($15.01 million), Britain's Lee Westwood ninth ($14.73 million) and [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Ireland's [COLOR=#366388 !important]Padraig [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]Harrington[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] ($11.61 million).
Overall earnings were compiled by Golf Digest through interviews with agents, players, executives of companies involved with endorsements, industry analysts and also via the official money lists of the leading professional tours.
In 2009, Woods led the standings with a mind-boggling $121.9 million but his earnings have dipped following his unexpected fall from grace after being engulfed by a sex scandal.
The 14-times major champion spent much of 2010 unsuccessfully trying to repair his marriage and also undergoing the fourth swing change of his career.
His troubles led such firms as AT&T and Accenture to end sponsorship deals, costing Woods up to $35 million in annual revenue.
He ended his PGA Tour season without a single title for the first time since he turned professional in 1996 and was deposed as world number one by Britain's Lee Westwood on November 1.
However, since Woods joined forces with Canadian swing coach [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Sean [COLOR=#366388 !important]Foley[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] after the PGA Championship in August, his form has steadily improved and he remains the biggest drawcard in the game.
He is still paid more than $60 million annually by Nike, Electronic Arts, Procter & Gamble's Gillette, Berkshire Hathaway's NetJets unit, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton's Tag Heuer, Upper Deck and TLC Laser Vision Centers.
(Editing by Peter Rutherford)

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
He only topped Phil by $34,000,000. Can you even imagine that sort of money?????

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
It's almost all endorsements, not money earned playing golf, so of course he's still #1. Not surprised in the least.

Wonder where he'd stand based solely on tournament earnings? Seriously, not taking a shot at him.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I wonder how he made out with his stock options with his family by cheating his life away?

Money is one thing. And it's not the most important. Well, not to selfless dicks it isn't anyways.

R35

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Aside from shameless adoration
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_hump.gif
with a touch of trolling
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_troll3.gif
, I fail to see the point of the OP.
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_smileydontgetit.gif

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
He only topped Phil by $34,000,000. Can you even imagine that sort of money?????

PM made millions... and still has a beautiful wife and family. "Can you even imagine that sort of money?" No, and what I really cannot imagine is cheating on my wife and breaking up my family. I'll never have the material riches of a Tiger Woods. But, I'll take family first any time.

The idolization of a sports figure and his wealth, while looking past his pathetic lifestyle, is beyond my imagination.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Aside from shameless adoration
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_hump.gif
with a touch of trolling
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_troll3.gif
, I fail to see the point of the OP.
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_smileydontgetit.gif

You got me on the trolling part. I don't get it. This is such a well designed website yet this forum is dead. I really don't understand why there are not hundreds of posts per day on this forum. If you google "golf forum" this place comes up close to the top. Site looks good and all the pieces of the puzzle seem to be there yet this forum is barely alive. Tis ashame.

Perhaps its age demographics of the golf community???? Older folks not taking to computers and forums in particular???? I know the average age of golfers at the places I play is probably close to 60....don't know about other parts of the country.

Out of curiocity I hit a website statistics site to see how this site is faring and my hunch was correct. Visits to this site are off significantly from a year ago. Is this just a website thing or a golf thing????

Checked another golf site and they were off a little bit just not as much.

I checked a fishing website I visit that runs a very similar platform and thier visits are up about 20% from a year ago. Fishing and golf both being expensive hobbies I would expect them to follow similar tracks in this economy.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
You got me on the trolling part. I don't get it. This is such a well designed website yet this forum is dead. I really don't understand why there are not hundreds of posts per day on this forum. If you google "golf forum" this place comes up close to the top. Site looks good and all the pieces of the puzzle seem to be there yet this forum is barely alive. Tis ashame.

Perhaps its age demographics of the golf community???? Older folks not taking to computers and forums in particular???? I know the average age of golfers at the places I play is probably close to 60....don't know about other parts of the country.

Out of curiocity I hit a website statistics site to see how this site is faring and my hunch was correct. Visits to this site are off significantly from a year ago. Is this just a website thing or a golf thing????

Checked another golf site and they were off a little bit just not as much.

I checked a fishing website I visit that runs a very similar platform and thier visits are up about 20% from a year ago. Fishing and golf both being expensive hobbies I would expect them to follow similar tracks in this economy.

For christ sake are we going to have you ranting about this every few weeks? Every single winter this site goes thru the exact same thing, visits and thread counts go down. It's a combination of the winter weather and lately the economy has something to do with it as well. Simply not enough extra disposable income to allow some to play or ho as much as they would like. Add in having actual lives with jobs, kids, etc and you can see the big picture.

Already told you where to go before if you don't like it here and want to see 1,000 posts in a single day. You won't like it though as it's extremely overbearing and filled with cliques.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
This site isn't just seasonably down. Its down 28% from a year ago. That's pretty drastic. Heck, if you took away my Tiger topics visits might be down 40%.:cool: Sorry for tring to jump start things a bit when things are dead.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This site isn't just seasonably down. Its down 28% from a year ago. That's pretty drastic. Heck, if you took away my Tiger topics visits might be down 40%.:cool: Sorry for tring to jump start things a bit when things are dead.

What do you expect? All everyone does is talk about Tiger Woods around here anyways...:D

R35

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Didn't a great person once say, "Ask not what Shottalk can do for you, ask what you can do for Shottalk"? Well, it was something like that.

Anyhoo, my point is that active posting can have a flow on effect. People read what is said, comment, agree, disagree, etc. I emphasised the word active, not to be confused with selective. It's clear that you like posting about Tiger. That's cool in my book. You like telling us about your latest golf game. Whilst they may not always float my boat, heck that's okay too. But that's where it seems to end. To be fair mate, I haven't seen you actively getting involved in other topics/posts. You don't seem to try to be 'one of the gang'. Not even a "commiserations buddy" in this thread. Just a lot of stirring about Tiger (IMO).

There's a lot of golf going on around the world (yes, it exists outside of the USA). You might notice I post a lot about other tours. That's to try & stimulate golf discussion when the good ole PGA tour is in winter hibernation. Sometimes (unfortunately) those posts seem to stimulate unhelpful bickering about which is the best tour. I reckon newbies to the site are inclined to stay out of discussions if the old hardheads of the site are going at each other in threads.

Mate, start posting some more. Give it a try. It might actually work.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Didn't a great person once say, "Ask not what Shottalk can do for you, ask what you can do for Shottalk"? Well, it was something like that.

Anyhoo, my point is that active posting can have a flow on effect. People read what is said, comment, agree, disagree, etc. I emphasised the word active, not to be confused with selective. It's clear that you like posting about Tiger. That's cool in my book. You like telling us about your latest golf game. Whilst they may not always float my boat, heck that's okay too. But that's where it seems to end. To be fair mate, I haven't seen you actively getting involved in other topics/posts. You don't seem to try to be 'one of the gang'. Not even a "commiserations buddy" in this thread. Just a lot of stirring about Tiger (IMO).

There's a lot of golf going on around the world (yes, it exists outside of the USA). You might notice I post a lot about other tours. That's to try & stimulate golf discussion when the good ole PGA tour is in winter hibernation. Sometimes (unfortunately) those posts seem to stimulate unhelpful bickering about which is the best tour. I reckon newbies to the site are inclined to stay out of discussions if the old hardheads of the site are going at each other in threads.

Mate, start posting some more. Give it a try. It might actually work.

This is part of the reason I stopped posting here. No one but spammers join the site, and when someone does, everyone jumps all over them with a nasty attitude. TTR, I notice you post more since they've given you some reigns, and you try to invoke some posting around here. Kudos to that, but your not exactly the model peace keeper that you build yourself to be. You've been well versed in your opinions about people on this board, and on more occasions will be just smitten to call someone a troll for posting something you don't see as constructive.

People don't have to join the "mob" mentality that you talk about. The problem here IS the gang at times. While I appreciated the close group feel, I've been parts of boards that got like that, and completely closed their doors. Majority of the people that still post there, no long even participate in the hobby that brought them together, and if they do, it's so scarce it's not worth talking about. Much like what has happened here.

People come to talk golf, and there's a pretty small percentage that actually DO play golf here, or even on a regular basis anyways. Life happens, and golf ain't really life, I understand that. But I think at this point, while still policing the posting public, that most should atleast be receptive to things that they don't like or agree with. Thats the glory of a public board, the different thought processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts