• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This thing will create a wind in your home

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I know this is Really off topic....but...

My house cools and heats irregularly. My bedrooms all stay very cool with the AC set on 72 but the den gets toasty. If I set the thermostat on 69 - the AC will cool the den but it will run almost all the time and the bedrooms will be cold. So I thought I would try to get some sort of fan to help cool the den (which has 11 foot ceilings and is 20 X 18).

I was at Costco and an employee said to try the Vornado fan. The damn thing was expensive! $70 for a fan??

I take it home and the first thing I notice is that it does not oscillate. Just blows straight ahead. The directions said to turn it on and point it toward a wall at an angle from the side...this is weird. Buy a fan and point it toward the wall?

I follow the directions and this dude has created a breeze in the entire room. The air blows round and round and it is noticeably cooler. I am now getting another for the kitchen...You can feel a small wind in the room.

If you live in a climate that has a hot summer and you want to save on the electric bill - get one of these. Or for those of you in cool climates like VT, CT or Canada, you could cool your den on a warm day with this device alone.

Vornado.com

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Bravo said:
I know this is Really off topic....but...

My house cools and heats irregularly. My bedrooms all stay very cool with the AC set on 72 but the den gets toasty. If I set the thermostat on 69 - the AC will cool the den but it will run almost all the time and the bedrooms will be cold. So I thought I would try to get some sort of fan to help cool the den (which has 11 foot ceilings and is 20 X 18).

I was at Costco and an employee said to try the Vornado fan. The damn thing was expensive! $70 for a fan??

I take it home and the first thing I notice is that it does not oscillate. Just blows straight ahead. The directions said to turn it on and point it toward a wall at an angle from the side...this is weird. Buy a fan and point it toward the wall?

I follow the directions and this dude has created a breeze in the entire room. The air blows round and round and it is noticeably cooler. I am now getting another for the kitchen...You can feel a small wind in the room.

If you live in a climate that has a hot summer and you want to save on the electric bill - get one of these. Or for those of you in cool climates like VT, CT or Canada, you could cool your den on a warm day with this device alone.

Vornado.com

Hey Bravo

Set that baby on high and you could practice your pitches into a 30 mph wind. That'll get you ready for 2007 trip to Ireland / Scotland.

"I became a links golfer in the comfort of my own home thanks to the Vornado fan" :D

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Hey Bravo

Set that baby on high and you could practice your pitches into a 30 mph wind. That'll get you ready for 2007 trip to Ireland / Scotland.

"I became a links golfer in the comfort of my own home thanks to the Vornado fan" :D
My thoughts exactly...

11 ft high ceilings? 20 x 18? Turn on the vornado, hang a quilt from the ceiling and take driver off of every "tee". If you have even half of a mental game, you'll be in Scottland anyways.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great suggestions guys...I am sure my wife will absolutely love the idea.

At present, I am prohibited from taking practice swings in the den because of the rug. She claims I am taking divots from it.

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Bravo said:

At present, I am prohibited from taking practice swings in the den because of the rug. She claims I am taking divots from it.

Is that possible to make divots on a carpet. :p

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Bravo said:

Vornado.com

It is interesting that you note this B, as we're having some issues with our cooling system.

It has been pretty warm in the Northeast this past week (mid 80's is hot for us). We built a new house a little over a year ago and had central AC installed. While this cools the downstairs great, the bedrooms on the 2nd floor do not cool down. The venting just doesn't seem to get the power of that the main floor does. I've tried closing some of the downstairs vents, but no luck. I don't really want to hang one of them AC units out of our Master window on the street side of the house (especially after dropping 5k for central air). Anyways, maybe one of these fans will do the trick, although I don't see how blowing warm air around will help??

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I sent you a PM suggesting you locate one on the main floor and use it to blow the cool air up the staircase...this is one of the illustrated applications in the user guide...you can always return the fan if it does not perform to your expectations.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:

I'm banned too but not because of the rug. A guy forgets one time where the ceiling fan is and it's the end of the world. Sheesh! :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.