• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

This week's achievements

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Hey guys,

I haven't been around much lately, but I used to blog/photoblog some of my rounds here. I just don't have much time for that anymore.

I just had to pop in to share my latest achievements here...

My game is worse than ever (averaging 90+ most rounds...sometimes even pop over 100! :eek: ) but this year, I've been making the time to get back into it.

Long story short - on Friday, I played a local muni and had a pretty good front (44)...with just one stinker hole (a 7). The back was better with one double (a 6) and the rest bogeys and pars....except for the birdie at 12 - a short par 5 (playing at about 450) dogleg right with a huge bunker at about the 190 - 210 range at the corner of the dogleg. I sailed it right over the bunker to land just shy of the 150 marker. Iffy 8 iron in from 155 left me a 20 foot uphill breaking putt for eagle. I went for it, missed by an inch on the right and had about 2.5 feet back down for birdie. I wiffed it but gave it just enough to trickle in and JUST dropped in for birdie. Weaksauce, but it worked.

Then, 18, also a short'ish par 5 at about 470. Slight dogleg left with a pretty huge ravine that sits from about the 90 yard - in rangeI killed my drive to five yards past the 200 - right in the middle of the fairway. Fairway's cambered a bit, so I had the ball a bit above my feet and 195 in and a front pin sitting in the bottom of a bit of a bowl on the green. It's about 180-185 to clear the ravine. While not a frightening distance in and of itself, if I mishit it at all and came up short, it's in the junk - and it's not a super awesome lie, despite being in the middle of the fairway. I decide to pull the 4H and go for it, whereas I almost ALWAYS lay up to 100 or so on that hole. I hit it clean and send it over the ravine...lands just in front of the right of the green and catches a slope to roll down into the bowl. I'm about 10 feet past the hole with a downhill left to right breaking putt...for eagle (twice in one day!). I crapped my pants, hit the putt, and watched it roll into the centre of the cup. Wars across the world ended to rejoice momentarily and fireworks went off across the city.

My first "real" eagle felt pretty awesome and I pretty much smiled straight through from Friday afternoon until today.

Today, I went back to play the same course. Front nine went alright - I Actually played pretty well, except for two 8s (one triple, one quad - each with lost balls). Ended the front with a birdie (long uphill breaking putt) for a 46.

Back nine just went...well. Not a lot of mistakes and lots of good shots. Birdied 12 again...but in a much different fashion. Pulled my tee shot to way up the left side and over the cartpath. Bas was right up against the long grass after the first cut. Had to stand in a bunch of thorny stuff to hit it, but punched it out (had to go under a tree) to about 150 and in a crappy lie just out of a bunker. Hit a good shot and dropped it about 10 feet from the hole. Sank the putt and carried on. Par on 13 and then two bogies in a row and I was sad because I had bumped up to +1 on the back (which is STILL way better than usual).

Sand save for par on 16 then 17...oh, 17. Long par 4 (played at about 400 today) to an elevated green. Hit a decent drive into the left rough with about 135 remaining. Sent a PW longer than I thought off the back just into the first cut of rough after the fringe. About 40 feet left and I decided to putt it...figure I'll end up with a bogey. Wrong. Turns out I'll end with a birdie.

Head over to 18 and hit another good drive, but it faded too far right and just landed in the back of the bunker that starts at the 205 mark. 200 left to go and I'm trying to decide what to do when I'm sitting at even par. Decide to play safe and lay up. Then I figured, just for fun, I'd hit a second one from the same spot to see if I could clear the ravine from the sand. Turns out that I couldn't but, but it was a fun attempt. Send a pulled, but still good, third shot onto the green and came up a bit short on the birdie put but rolled in a 2 footer for par and an EVEN 36 ON THE BACK. :wow:

Oh yeah! Feelin' good now. Par? Who gets that?? Not me. Usually, anyhow.

Smiling. Lots.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Nice to hear from you! Great ending to that round, how's the law career going?

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Thanks Vt!

Law career's going amazingly well...it's why I have no time! I skipped the whole thing where you work for other people to learn the ropes and all that junk. Opened my own biz right away and am so hoppin' busy I don't know what to do most of the time. Thanks for asking?

How's the game these days?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Don't play as much as I'd like to with the new addition to the family, but that's fine. I'm on vaca now, so getting lots of time to play hopefully while the grandparents watch the kiddies :D

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Hey! A new addition, that's great! This shows how far I'm behind on this place. I miss it, but also miss having time for it.

Congrats!

🔥 Latest posts