• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thoughts on a half set for new golfer?

luc9488

Feb 18, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm new to golf, just getting into the game and would really like to know everyone's opinion on starting off with a half set of clubs. My thoughts are both it will be less costly to start off with and I will get to know each club better.

Here is the config I have been thinking about: 3W, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW or 3W, 3, 5, 7, 9, PW (and a putter with both)

What do you think? Is there another configuration I should be considering?

Thanks.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Good luck finding a half set of clubs (irons that is). You're not going to have someone sell you a half set for less money. My suggestion is to look through the classifieds here. You'll have to buy a complete iron set and then the rest you could put together as you see fit, (woods, hybrids, wedges, driver, and putter). You could put together a decent set pretty cheap that would have at least some resale/trade value.

The other option would be a place like Hireko or Valuegolf where you can buy individual irons and all other clubs. All said and done though you wont be much cheaper than buying a used complete set of irons and playing the ones you want for now. Plus when you do find the need for the other irons you'll have them if you buy a complete iron set.

Oh yeah, welcome to Shottalk. Stop by the Now On The Tee section and let us know a little about yourself.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I like the idea, but I do see a couple draw backs.

I would not try to buy half of a set of irons. Buy the whole set, then just take only the clubs you will use with you. If they discontinue that set, you may find it very difficult to round out your set once you are looking to add the other clubs. Which means, in the end it will cost you an entire set + a half set.

The drawback I see is you will have two distinct learning curves. One with the first half set, and then another with the second half of the set. Where as if you start with the entire set, you will only encounter one learning curve. As far as I'm concerned a single longer learning curve will be shorter than the combined length o the two shorter learning curves. What the end result would be between the two, I'm not really sure. Is there a certain benefit to starting with a half set? I don't think it's going to be substantial if any.

That said, the major benefit of starting with a half set would be that you don't have as many choices on the course. With a full set you will have more 'between' area's where as with larger gaps between irons, it's easier for your distance remaining to be closer to one club or the other.

By the way, Welcome to Shottalk! Glad to have you aboard!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I don't like the idea of a half set either. You don't need every single club out there, but you should have:

Driver
Irons 3-9 + pw or 4-9 + pw
Hybrid club not a bad idea
Putter

You can certainly wait on high lofted wedges and fairway woods. They're expensive and very difficult to use effectively as a beginner. Hybrid is a "maybe" but it's a club you'd really use a LOT as a beginner too. My hybrids remain my favorite clubs.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
So much depends on your ability to pick up the game. I will agree with the other posters, the old idea of a "starter set"... a half set... doesn't tweak my fancy. That is not to say one can play well with significantly less than the 14 club limit.
My best golfing buddy currently has 7 clubs in his bag. Driver, 5W, 7W, 7 iron, 9 iron, wedge and putter. He will shoot in the mid-80's pretty regularly. He probably has more clubs in his basement than half the members of our club. But, he says these 7 work for him and he's confident with them.
On the other hand, one of the regulars in our group will always have somewhere between 16 and 18 clubs in his bag. We razz him about it and he just acts as if he doesn't hear us. I carry the exact 14 allowed... an could probably dump a third of them and not miss 'em!!
Your suggested clubs do not include a driver. Many years ago, I mentored a group of youngsters learning the game. I would not let them put a driver in the bag until they could play a round and never miss a fairway with their 3-wood. That was long before the driver technology developed to where they are today. You might be really handicapping yourself, today, not putting a driver in the bag.
Good luck as you take up this sometimes rewarding... sometimes frustrating game. Welcome to ShotTalk. Hope you hang around and have the opportunity to relate your experiences on the course.

OP
L

luc9488

Feb 18, 2012
Thanks guys very much appreciated. Interesting what limpalong said... I'll have to get a few more opinions on this one. I'm currently looking at TM RocketBallz irons. Any other suggestions?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Thanks guys very much appreciated. Interesting what limpalong said... I'll have to get a few more opinions on this one. I'm currently looking at TM RocketBallz irons. Any other suggestions?

Wilson Staff Ci9 or Ci11. Look on Ebay for them... you can probably pick up either brand new for less than the RBZ. They look better, are better, and you won't have to use the word ballz any more than you already will while out on a golf course. Seriously, check em out. They are great irons.

OP
L

luc9488

Feb 18, 2012
Wilson Staff Ci9 or Ci11. Look on Ebay for them... you can probably pick up either brand new for less than the RBZ. They look better, are better, and you won't have to use the word ballz any more than you already will while out on a golf course. Seriously, check em out. They are great irons.

Whoa! I do like the look of those Wilson Staff Ci11's! But they say they are for a "Control" player? What does that mean? Are they good for a beginner?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Taylormade would literally have to sponsor me to play their latest garbage.

Luc, there's something to be said for playing forgiving clubs, but there's also something to be said for playing clubs that require you to make good swings. For the cost of "rocketballz" irons, you could probably get a full set of clubs that you might like a lot better.

I went to golf galaxy the other day just to puke on TM's new line of clubs. I was asked to leave, but the club tech high fived me and let me bang his wife for my effort.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Whoa! I do like the look of those Wilson Staff Ci11's! But they say they are for a "Control" player? What does that mean? Are they good for a beginner?

They are a cavityback with a midsize head. Maybe not specifically for beginners, but definately not a "blade". They are not hard to hit at all provided you can hit an iron at all. I'll put it like this... If you can get the ball up and in the general direction you are aiming with rocketballz or any other game improvement iron, then you can hit these. The difference is you won't be staring at a shafted turd while doing it. You wont be a "beginner" forever and with some Ci's you will still love your clubs after you've moved well past beginner.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

Luc, there's something to be said for playing forgiving clubs, but there's also something to be said for playing clubs that require you to make good swings. For the cost of "rocketballz" irons, you could probably get a full set of clubs that you might like a lot better.

I went to golf galaxy the other day just to puke on TM's new line of clubs. I was asked to leave, but the club tech high fived me and let me bang his wife for my effort.

So was she any good?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

Taylor Made irons won't be worth a fraction of what you paid for them... the minute you walk out of the store. If I were just taking up this game, TM would be the last manufacturer I'd look at. Others hold their resale much better, if you made a mistake and needed to change direction. Personally, I've been extremely impessed with CallawayPreOwned. Goggle it. They have a huge inventory of pre-owned Callaway clubs... at bargain prices.

You don't need the latest version of irons, no matter what manufacturer you go with. A good game-improvement iron set can be a few generations old and still play comparable to the latest "bling". Shoot! My irons are 1995 models... older than most of the kids playing high school golf. My irons are older than all 8 of my grandkids!!!!

Pings are indestructable... Callaways are quite easy to play... the newer Wilson line is impressive... Lots of choices.....

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
+1 to the notion of looking to other manufacturers other than TaylorMade

They have a great marketing department and really draw in new golfers and get them stuck in the 'new is always better' mind set. Since TM puts out new product at a rate that's almost super human, that's perfect for them.

Those Wilson Irons look fantastic, and Callaway pre-owned is top notch as well!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country

:biglol: Thanks, Sux...I needed that!!

OP
L

luc9488

Feb 18, 2012
Thanks guys. Does anyone have any thoughts on Ping K15's? They're a Golf Digest "Gold" Super Game Improvement set for 2012... I've also read their fitting is incredible.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.