• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thoughts on a half set for new golfer?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
As I said in your classified ad, you have a great set of new irons, especially for a beginner. I'd focus on something else. IMHO you're just tossing money down the drain if you spend another dime on irons.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Don't make a lateral move. Game the Birds or step up. If you want GI just game the Birds and save your money for important things like drivers and putters and more drivers. Thats's the proper way to ho.

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
MY vote is for a set of hybrids.
I just got my first few and they thrash normal irons.
I cant even hit a 2 iron, but with this #2 hybrid I am nailing the ball down the middle most shots.
I love my fairway woods but they may find a closet soon if these hybrids keep performing like they did yesterday

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
MY vote is for a set of hybrids.
I just got my first few and they thrash normal irons.
I cant even hit a 2 iron, but with this #2 hybrid I am nailing the ball down the middle most shots.
I love my fairway woods but they may find a closet soon if these hybrids keep performing like they did yesterday

If thats the way you want to go, then do it. Being happy with your choices, happy with the clubs you are standing over is over half the battle. I play a mid-sized cavity back iron, would a set of super game improvement irons help me, probably. But I don't like how the look or feel, so I stick with what I know and love, and it works for me.

If you're looking for a easy yet inexspesive set of fairway woods, look online for a CB1 or CB2 Tour Edge. I play a 4 wood and a weak 7 wood and it works for me, but to each their own.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I have to agree with the others. Play the Warbirds, they are a fine club. Later on try some new shafts to suit your swing.

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
The best way to start with a partial set is to buy the clubs individually.
I recommend starting with a 4-wood, a 5-iron, an 8-iron, an oval-faced sand wedge, and a putter. If you can take a few lessons and get proficient with them, you'll have 85% of your game right there.

OP
L

luc9488

Feb 18, 2012
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with the warbirds. I think my major beef at the beginning was the name and the fact I couldn't really find any information on them. I took them out for a lesson on Sunday and they were great.

Thanks again for the input. It's helped in saving me a couple bucks.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with the warbirds. I think my major beef at the beginning was the name and the fact I couldn't really find any information on them. I took them out for a lesson on Sunday and they were great.

Thanks again for the input. It's helped in saving me a couple bucks.

Good decision me thinks.

🔥 Latest posts