• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thoughts on gambling on the course

Black59Razr

Jul 3, 2008
What is everyone else's opinion on gambling?

Why do you do it?

What games do you play?

I, personally, do it to give myself a handful of pressure situations every round. I am not good enough for tournaments or anything, so this is the only time it doesn't feel like a practice round for me.

My friends and I have been getting into progressive skins games, from $1 to $5 per hole. We never win or lose more than $20 a round, so its not life or death.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I think it can be beneficial.

The ability to focus on something bigger than a practice round, be it a skins game, tournament, or what have you, is an enjoyable part of golf.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Get the bet right and some people can't even take the club back.

scott.cant.putt

Scott.cant.putt
Apr 8, 2006
i think its a great idea but u must choose your playing partner wisley
for example i sometimes play with a young lad who is 16 (im 19 btw) and he always asks to bet me which i dont mind cos he has only ever beaten me once of scratch and i did play rather bad, but my poin is when their is money on it he does my head in because u can tell he wants me to hit bad shots rather than him hit good ones and if i get double bogey he will say oh was that a double even though he knows perfectly well it was or he will keep sayin stuff like ohhh theres only one shot in it or look im beating you by 2 shots or something like that which will affect my game cos id rather just him shut up and we play im not into puttin people off to win
so yeh choose yur playing partner wisley and its great fun
i sometimes play 50p per hole skins with a mate from work which is good way to have a laff if there is 3 or 4 of you!

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Almost always play for something. With my big group we play "Chicago", which is a Stableford game. Start with your handicap and add 1 for a birdie, 2 for a par, 4 for a birdie, 8 for and eagle. Everybody kicks in ten or 15 bucks.

My buddy and I also play "Defender", which is a skins-match game with carryovers. If you win a hole, you must defend it by winning or tying the next hole. It is a great game if strokes are involved. So let's say, we tie the first three holes and I win the fourth. I am then defending on the 5th. If my opponent wins that hole, he steals all of the previous holes and is defending five holes on the 6th.

Its a good game for more than two as well. We play for five bucks or ten bucks. Sometimes get up to fifty with presses.

Rideguy

Jun 1, 2008
I like to gamble on the course alot :eek:)

Poker, Chicago, Wolf.....

We keep it light and mostly for bragging rights.... Usually the winner just buys a jug at the end of the round....

I like playing these games because it allows me to play with people better than me and I can actually feel good when I am rewarded for playing well with in my handicap....

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I love it when I win. Other then that it sucks.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I don't gamble on golf. Not for moral reasons or anything like that. I play golf to enjoy it... when I have something to lose it starts to become more than a game and I don't want that.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Almost always play for something. With my big group we play "Chicago", which is a Stableford game. Start with your handicap and add 1 for a birdie, 2 for a par, 4 for a birdie, 8 for and eagle. Everybody kicks in ten or 15 bucks.

My buddy and I also play "Defender", which is a skins-match game with carryovers. If you win a hole, you must defend it by winning or tying the next hole. It is a great game if strokes are involved. So let's say, we tie the first three holes and I win the fourth. I am then defending on the 5th. If my opponent wins that hole, he steals all of the previous holes and is defending five holes on the 6th.

Its a good game for more than two as well. We play for five bucks or ten bucks. Sometimes get up to fifty with presses.
Defender sounds cool.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
2 man best ball. $5 Nassau is the standard 4somes game at our club.

OP
B

Black59Razr

Jul 3, 2008
This wolf game I hear is pretty cool. I have never played it so I pulled this off about.com:

Players rotate being the "Wolf." The player designated as the "Wolf" gets to choose whether to play the hole 1 against 3 (himself against the other three players in the group) or 2 on 2.
And if the Wolf chooses to play 2 on 2, he must choose his partner immediately following that player's drive. (**Some play you have to call the drive while it is in the air**)Example: Player A is the Wolf. Player B hits a bad drive. Player C hits a pretty good drive. If the Wolf wants C as a partner, he must claim his partner before Player D hits his tee ball.
The side with the lowest better ball score wins the hole. If it's 2 on 2, then the winning side wins the bet. If it's 1 on 3, the Wolf wins double or loses double.
There's also Lone Wolf, in which the Wolf announces before anyone tees off - including himself - that he's going it alone, 1 on 3. On a Lone Wolf hole, the Wolf wins triple or loses triple.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I don't gamble on golf. Not for moral reasons or anything like that. I play golf to enjoy it... when I have something to lose it starts to become more than a game and I don't want that.
Me either. I play for score and for fun, not for money.

That said, when I do get roped in to doing a best-ball or something, I get really competitive :laugh: Never played for more than $5 or so though.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
sometimes we gamble a bit.. i always seem to pplay worse when im under pressure which sucks... every Saturday and Sunday at our club they play "chicago" or points as we call it everyone puts 10 in. there is usually 20 people or more ech day so you can come away with some cash... but the winner has to buy every one something from the club house. just cant be over 2 dollars

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Nah ive actually never gambled. Im a streaky player so it wouldnt be wise for me to gamble on the course. But i generally dont fold under the pressure of a big putt or anything like that.

🔥 Latest posts