• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thoughts on most important stat for scoring for a pro

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I have been trying to figure out what stat makes the most difference in scoring for a tour pro. I think there are 2. First is the number of times they hit their approach shot to 15 feet or less. Second is putting from 5 to 10 feet. I think whoever does both of those the best will have the most success.

I can't really prove it as I can't find the first stat anywhere. I used to think that avg. proximity to hole on approach shots was important, but the more I thought about it the less I did. See even pros don't make a lot of putts over 30 feet, so if pro A has a prox avg of 34 feet and pro B has one of 37 feet it is how they get there that is real important. Pro A maybe only gets a few approaches inside 15 feet, but is usually on the green within 34 feet. Pro B could hit plenty of shots inside 15 feet, but also hits more wayward shots and averages 37 feet on his approaches. Pro B is going to make more birdies.

Someone might say will Pro A isn't going to bogey as much, that may be true but I think Pro B will get up and down more than you think. Those guys are good and that is where the putting from 5 to 10 feet comes in. A pro is going to get his chip within 10 feet a good % of time, so you combine those two stats and I think you have a good player.

One thing of note I would count the eagle putt on a par 5 as an approach shot and if he got it within 15 feet then it goes to our stat.

BTW, this has nothing to do with scoring for us hacks. Our games are different and usually it isn't about making birdies. But I will say I had a nice round last Sunday because I hit three approaches within 15 feet and made two of them for birdie.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
BS, the only stat that matters is how many strokes. The rest is mental masturbation.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
BS, the only stat that matters is how many strokes. The rest is mental masturbation.

And that is why we keep at it, for some reason it just feels good for a little while, and if we could just release the clubhead in the same freewheeling manner we'd be good.

I do think that OP has a point, avg proximity doesn't really say anything, there should be a stat for "birdie opportunity", the problem is defining what that is. But a putt inside 15' is as good as any definition, i.e. if you hole it outside that range it would be a "bonus birdie". Obviously we would all begin to look for whomever makes the most "bonus birdies", but you have to admit, it feels kind of good :)

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
I think Up and Down % is a good indicator. Saving par for pros is one of the most important aspect of their games. That and how much money they win...

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
When reading the title, I immediately thought of putts per green in regulation and scrambling as the two most important.

OP
gpo

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Sure enough scoring is important. That is how we know who did better and who won. Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!! My question is on average how did the guy who scored the best do it. Is it because he rolled in 10 30 footers over the course of a tournament. Is it because he reached every par 5 with 4 iron or less. The question is how one generally scores well.

I say for a tour pro over the course of 72 holes it comes down to the following. How he putts from 10 foot and shorter. How many times he threw his approach shot within 15 feet. And finally the fact that he did not make any huge mistakes. Probably a little bit of luck on a shot or two. A favorable bounce here or there.

My thought process is if you can figure out a pros game then you can translate the same thing to your game. Meaning figure out what makes you score better on your good rounds. Then work on the areas that give you the biggest bang for your buck.

🔥 Latest posts