• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Three first on the course today!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I decided to do a half day today at the office and headed out to the course. I must have really been jonesin' for some golf because the temp was soaring (104F) with good breeze (1-2 clubs).

I stepped up to the 9th tee box with a good round going (I wasn't exactly sure where I was score wise but putts were dropping). The 9th hole is a 518yd par 5 that was playing down wind. To say I smoked my drive would be an understatement, I walked up to my ball sitting in the middle of the fairway right next to the 200yd marker (that's right, 300+ yard drive!). I was in between clubs being that the hole was playing down wind so I choked up (or is it down?) on my hybrid. I hit it well but not great and ended up pin high... in the bunker. :( The whole time I was walking to my ball I was thinking that I just ruined the best chance at an eagle that I have ever had.

I stepped into the bunker with my 54 but quickly realized the sand was moist and firm so the 54 went into the bag and out came the 58. I had a level lie a few feet away from the lip, roughly 5 feet or so below the green though(which happened to be sloping away from me). I took my stance and made an aggresive swing. The ball popped up over the lip and on to the green where I watched it roll slowly down the slope and into the hole! Simultaneously, I holed my first bunker shot in a round AND made my first eagle!!

Holy crap this post is getting long so I'll close out with just the details. My third first of the day was my final score of 78. A new personal best and the first time I've been sub 80!

The stats:

7066yds
Rated 74.6
Slope 129
Par 72 (35/37)

Score - 78
Fariways - 5
GIR - 4
Total Putts - 27

I hit the driver good but not great (much better than the 5 fairways would suggest). Also, Ranger Rob showed up as I hit my irons better than I ever have during a round (again, better than the 4 GIR would suggest). I was almost always hole high and only missed two greens by anything more than a few yards. My short game was on fire, highlighted by 8 one-putts.

Needless to say I left the course on a high and I needed the high because for some stupid reason I walked today (I was really feeling it coming on the last part of the back 9).

Anyway, thanks to anyone who actually stayed with this post. :)

:smilie_pi

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Pretty sweet Chem! Way to go man!

Eagle, 300 yard drive, and a sub80 round! Nice! Also, very impressive score with only 4 GIR.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Thanks, Jeff. I was a scrambling FOOL!

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Now you have a taste of it. Good work. Now you'll be thinking how low can I go if a I hit a few more fairways and greens?

That's what makes golf so cool. You can always think how you can play a little better, even when you've done really well. Congrats again. 76 here you come.

Kevin

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Congrats on the round, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up if we ever get together for a round after reading this.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Now you have a taste of it. Good work. Now you'll be thinking how low can I go if a I hit a few more fairways and greens?

That's what makes golf so cool. You can always think how you can play a little better, even when you've done really well. Congrats again. 76 here you come.

Kevin

That's what drives me nuts about this game. It gives you glimpse like this and then you spend the following years trying to make that the norm. I trust that it will but it is going to take some time. Heck, I'm sitll getting comfortable with 80 something as my usual score.

Congrats on the round, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up if we ever get together for a round after reading this.

LOL

A month ago I shot an 88 on the same course. Things fell in place for me today. Only one of my misses put me in a real bind otherwise they were all quite playable. It also helps that I've gotten really good at pitching a hooded long iron/hybrid to keep it under the tree limbs. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Fantastic round! I've been feeling so close to being able to break my personal best (80) but it hasn't happened yet. Besides the occasional hacker shots still afflicting my full shots, I know it's my inability to get up and down that is preventing it.

Getting up and down by holing out from a bunker is a great way to do it!

Congrats.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Congrats man. Wish I could break 80 with 4GIR, that's nuts. Great eagle.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Thanks, guys.

For the record, I spend 3/4 of my practice time working on my short game. My short game has always been much better than what my handicap would suggest.

With that being said, I've done a ton of work this year with drills for my full swing. I'm stil hitting about the same number of GIR but I'm so much closer to the green than I used to be and I come up short a lot less than I used. Same can be said for my driving; I'm 30-40 yds longer than last year and my misses don't miss by much.

🔥 Latest posts