• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Three "S" shafts compared

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
I got three different drivers flex tested today. The drivers were a Geek FS /Limey 540 combo, a Golfsmith Hi Cor/ Penley Stealth 70 combo and finally a X 460 with stock fuji. All drivers were 45" and had similar grips on.

Anyhow the frequency #'s were really close in 2 cases
Geek - 264 cpm
X460 - 263 cpm

And then the Penley shaft comes in a whopping 284 cpm. I thaught the. shaft felt overly stiff and this kinda confirms that.

Overall the Fuji shaft felt the liveliest but the Limey was the best combo of liveliness and accuracy. The Penley (not surprisingly) pretty much sucked.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
What's your SS and how do you transfer power (smooth or harshly)?

R35

OP
P

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
I dont really know my SS any more, I havent been measured in a few years.

I used to have a Beltronics swingmate 2 years ago. On low energy days I'd average about 98 and better days about 102 ish. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the bel though sometimes with a 6i I'd get readings as high as 95 and the next would be as 70 ... and the ball was flying the same distance. I got rid of the POS Bel after a couple ofmonths.

My swing itself is long and loose, . fairly smooth transition but I fire my hands really hard in the last bit of the swing. I'm probably a little bit too "handsey" but do have good tempo.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
By reading your swing description, I would say, and with a fair bit of certainty, that you would be better off with a shaft that is a fair bit softer. I am betting you would see no decrease in accuracy and a 20 yard pick up in distance by going to a club with a finished CPM in the range of 245-255, 250 probably being ideal.

OP
P

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
I agree Lyle my experience has told me about the same. I've never had any drivers that have tested close to the above #'s. I strongly think the clubmaker was either trying to blow smoke up my ass or his machine is miscalibrated.

AFAIK a 45" stiff driver should come out mid 250ish and an x is mid 260ish. I doubt a stock Callaway S would be playin at a near X flex.

My estimate is the Cally and Geek drivers are more in the high 240/low 250 range. The Cally at most is a soft S IMO. I CPM check most of my drivers and my guesses are usually pretty close.

I have to go to my local clubmaker to get a few wedges bent flatter and I'll get hin to recheck the Cpms. My prediction: cally - 247, Geek 250 , and Penley 262. I'll post the results when I get them rechecked.

OP
P

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
Well, I got another clubmaker to recheck the clubs .... and its a good thing I'm not a betting man. Wow was I off on my guesses..

They only came in at only a slightly lower cpm: limey 262, Cally fuji S -262, the Penley was the same at at 284:mad: .

I also got a Mizuno MX 500 checked (Exxar R)-240 cpm and a Comp (Prolite 35 -S) - 261 cpm. Both of these clubs came in right about where I expected them to be . So, I am pretty confident the freq meter isnt reading too high.

The clubmaker said the Penley was one of the stiffest shafts he has ever tested with the exception of a few ACCRa shafts that he has built for some long drive competitors. He estimated the Penley at an XXX and both the Cally and Limey to be an X .

He also commented on how truly bad the Cally and Mizuno shafts were (no big surprise). It probably took 4 or 5 tries to get a reading because the shafts were wobbling so wildly.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My limey cpms at 242. 284 is a total fence post. No need to spine and flow because theres no chance of bending it LOL.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My UL680 was tagged at 259cpm's (I requested it high), before tip trim. It's a board.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.