• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Three wood question

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
United States United States
Do any of you guys know what the ideal spin rate for a three wood off the deck for optimal carry is? I finally got around to having that motore speeder put in my TEE CB4 15* head. I asked to hit it on the tracman to test it out and they obliged. No stretching or anything so started a little rough but smoothed out after a few swings. I hit about fifteen shots. The last 5-7 were fairly consistent. My spin probably averaged 4500 rpm. Is that a little high? The shaft was awesome. Hate to be one of those guys but I may actually need an X flex in that shaft. Swing speed was close with no wild numbers. It was anywhere from a couple tenths under 100 to a couple tenths over 101. The shaft is tipped 1/2 inch but if I tip it anymore it won't play at 43 inches where I like it. Any suggestions?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
That spin seems good although I have no idea what ideal is for a 3w. Any idea what the carry was?

I play my 3w at 42.5 and love it. No distance loss and mucho accuracy.

You could tip it a 1/2" and add a shaft extender to bring it back to 43. That wouldn't impact shaft characteristics.

Isn't the TEE sweet?

OP
ChrisLyons

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Yeah I love the TEE head. It's awesome. That shaft is so smooth it makes my Kiyoshi White in my driver feel like rebar and I love it. I did some google searches and according to titleist 2800-3650 is optimal for 3 wood off the deck. Carry was 229 on the tracman. That's a loss of 16 yards. No bueno. Might need to look for an x in that shaft for cheap.

OP
ChrisLyons

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1415583856.479734.jpg
on the plus side the shaft and grip combo looks cool. Why can't I leave stuff alone?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah I love the TEE head. It's awesome. That shaft is so smooth it makes my Kiyoshi White in my driver feel like rebar and I love it. I did some google searches and according to titleist 2800-3650 is optimal for 3 wood off the deck. Carry was 229 on the tracman. That's a loss of 16 yards. No bueno. Might need to look for an x in that shaft for cheap.
Wow, those spin numbers seem really low. Although I guess off the deck it makes a little more sense. X may be the way to go.

I had a Fuji F3 (forget the name, may have been a motore) in my TEE and really liked it...very smooth.

OP
ChrisLyons

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
It's a standard grip with two wraps under the left and three wraps under the right. It's just right for me. I love that grip style. Extra wraps under the right take some of the taper out and helps to fill my big paws. Remember, I'm a big dude too.

OP
ChrisLyons

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
My hands are big enough for jumbo grips but I think I have a little more fill with a standard grip built up. Weird huh?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My hands are big enough for jumbo grips but I think I have a little more fill with a standard grip built up. Weird huh?
I just made the switch to mid size this year. I had been using standard with 4-5 wraps of tape under them. It's a funny game, I always felt like the midsize counter balanced the club to much. Then I made some swing changes and fell in love with them.

OP
ChrisLyons

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
My irons have mid size tour velvets on them. I think I'll have them re gripped with the multi comps and the same tape treatment as my driver and woods. The wedges are definitely getting them.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like more spin. I want the ball to land softly with a 3w. Off the deck, you're going to get more spin because you tend to hit the ball lower on the face. Off a mat, with my loft tweeked up to 16.5, I'm getting around 4k. Off a tee I get a lot less spin. I'm using a high launch, lower spinning shaft too.

OP
ChrisLyons

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I like more spin. I want the ball to land softly with a 3w. Off the deck, you're going to get more spin because you tend to hit the ball lower on the face. Off a mat, with my loft tweeked up to 16.5, I'm getting around 4k. Off a tee I get a lot less spin. I'm using a high launch, lower spinning shaft too.
This shaft is more of a mid spin shaft. I'm gonna go with it for a while. I have a negative angle if attack with fairways and irons so getting a high soft landing shot isn't a problem. My AoA was consistently -4.7 or close. I have to work hard to hit up on driver.

🔥 Latest posts