• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger...friend or foe?????

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I distinctly heard "I thought you said downwind?" but whatever. The shot was off very, very bad to hit the middle of the bunker from 121. He went from one of the best shots I'd seen in the time I was watching (the fade into 15) to possible the worst (other than Ogilvy's drop/splash affair).

The shot into 15 was wet... it was a poor shot. Are you talking about the shot on 13?

packerguy

Jan 28, 2007
It's definately just "Dead downwind." After he says "honestly, what the hell just happened" they cut away, cut back to Tigers face, and you can tell he just says just two words.

It seemed like he was short with his irons all week long, those of us that live in the midwest know that distance goes about a club down when it gets pretty cold, it just seems like he didn't adjust for it all week. I can imagine it would be difficult to trust that the yardage you have in your head is inflated a bit because of the weather, and my guess is he trusted his internal yardage not taking weather into account. That and he only missed the front by a yard or so so that doesn't mean the shot was complete crap, just that he knew that a birdie put from the back of the green was wicked fast.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The shot into 15 was wet... it was a poor shot. Are you talking about the shot on 13?

Wasn't it 15 where he made the eagle? I was having dinner with my family and the TV was in my dad's bedroom. I tried to watch and not be rude at the same time.

That shot was off by more than yard IMO. From 121? Come on. I realize greens are hard as hell but you are still going to get plenty of backspin off a full SW at that yardage regardless.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I didn't see what happened, but either way it sounds like he over reacted. People in the spotlight especially people like Tiger who are very closely watched should so a little more self control. I'm not saying I have never lost my temper on the course, but I havent done it for a while now, beceasue it's just not the right thing to do.

And if he was in fact ripping into Steve, thats terrible, as I see it the player/caddy relationship should be more a team-mate thing than a boss/employee thing. I don't care what I'm paid if I get treated liek sh*t I'm out of there. Freind or not.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wasn't it 15 where he made the eagle? I was having dinner with my family and the TV was in my dad's bedroom. I tried to watch and not be rude at the same time.

That shot was off by more than yard IMO. From 121? Come on. I realize greens are hard as hell but you are still going to get plenty of backspin off a full SW at that yardage regardless.

He made the eagle on 13.

15 he dumped it in the drink going for it in 2 with a big slice around the tree. I have no idea what you are talking about with the second part of your post. I think you are replying to someone else maybe?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
He made the eagle on 13.

15 he dumped it in the drink going for it in 2 with a big slice around the tree. I have no idea what you are talking about with the second part of your post. I think you are replying to someone else maybe?

Ya, that huge slice was an insane and stupid shot, considering the water hazard. Even if he makes it, that's a low, low percentage shot. Chip it up, wegde it close and make the putt.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
He made the eagle on 13.

Referring to packerguy saying the shot where he got all pissed, in the bunker was by a yard. IMO from 121 with an upslope to the pin he should have been going for a full shot 123 and spinning it back for an uphill putt.

OmegaG5

Jul 29, 2006
Ya, that huge slice was an insane and stupid shot, considering the water hazard. Even if he makes it, that's a low, low percentage shot. Chip it up, wegde it close and make the putt.

R35

Hmmm. Maybe not. I saw it as being worth the gamble, because he might have pulled back a shot if had come off. The percentage shot was the one to follow, where he knew that if it went in the water he could drop and still get up and down for a par. Which he did.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Referring to packerguy saying the shot where he got all pissed, in the bunker was by a yard. IMO from 121 with an upslope to the pin he should have been going for a full shot 123 and spinning it back for an uphill putt.

The only way to keep a ball on that green was to hit a shot short of the pin, one hop it and stop.

Anything past the first third of the green jumped way off the back.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
What about that putt for eagle

that Sabatinni made. Zach made some great shots like that approach that he holed out. Retief made a great shot from the trees that got him a birdie. There was some amazing golf out there by people who were giving it their all.

Bottom line in the golf world today is still the same. Whether it is his good shots or his missed shots, Tiger has control of the Universal Cosmic Golfing Mind. Yes folks, there is, indeed, a Matrix. It is all around though we cannot see it. Those in charge are controlling our every thought. It is their will that we conform to what they have ordered for us. They say that it is best this way, and that we should not be disruptive of the order thus created.

To this I say, "Ballderdash!" Long live Zach, Retief, Roy, and all others who will flail the very air with their clubs until at last truth is restored to the world. And that truth is that on a given day, anyone can rise to the challenge and walk away with victory.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

justsomeguythatgolfs

Apr 8, 2006
i dont think he should have gone off at his caddy, but i understand why it happened in the heat of it all. but i will always be a huge Tiger fan, hes my numero uno hero and role model

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
To be honest, Tiger could be the best behaved and most benevolent to his caddie of any of the golfers out there, but we'd see and hear anything he *did* say simply because he has a camera and a microphone pushed in his face for every second he's out on the course. The camera that picked up this particular incident seemed to be a handheld with mic attached that was following him around, and I don't think any other golfer had that to put up with throughout the tournament.

I saw the incident live and was surprised myself to hear his outburst, but never in a million years thought it was aimed at Steve Williams. It was a classic exasperated outburst to my ears as he just got his distances so badly wrong and what could have been a decent shot went nowhere near where he was predicting. When you play any sport at that level the margins of error they see as acceptable are unfathomable to recreational players or spectators, so after screwing that calculation up so badly and at such a critical time I think he did incredibly well to only say what we heard given what must have been going on at his mind!

And anyway, it's not like he spat in the cup or anything, is it? ;)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I saw it, heard it, was a little taken aback but understand. It was a yardage they needed to get right and a shot that needed to be struck perfect. He was trying to hang a high fade in there with a SW or LW from what I saw. If he got it perfect it should have left an uphill, 90% makeable putt. It was a risk and he either had the yardage off or hung it too high with a little too much fade, wind knocked it down a bit instead of carrying it over the bunker. It was a situation requiring back to back birdies on a course that had the leader over par for the tourney. How many back to back birds were there all tournament? Not too many, if any I'd imagine. That shot ended the Masters, so I can understand him venting a little frustration. I know we all thought we might be seeing a comeback for the ages when he stuck that fade on the back ledge of 15, an amazing shot off that lie and possibly one of the best shots I saw all week. So going from the best iron shot all week and converting to get 2 back, to putting a pured 7iron in tight and missing, to just a near perfection drive and a relatively "easy" (meaning he'd already done the hard part of the comeback) shot/yardage and blowing it... I see where he's coming from with the spouting.

I think the missed putt on 14 ended his Masters. If he had made it, he could have (would have?) layed up on 15 and gone for birdie, not needing the eagle.

As for all this hoo-hah about the comment - Tiger is Stevie's boss. The boss got mad and vented. Happens every day.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
that Sabatinni made. Zach made some great shots like that approach that he holed out. Retief made a great shot from the trees that got him a birdie. There was some amazing golf out there by people who were giving it their all.

Bottom line in the golf world today is still the same. Whether it is his good shots or his missed shots, Tiger has control of the Universal Cosmic Golfing Mind. Yes folks, there is, indeed, a Matrix. It is all around though we cannot see it. Those in charge are controlling our every thought. It is their will that we conform to what they have ordered for us. They say that it is best this way, and that we should not be disruptive of the order thus created.

To this I say, "Ballderdash!" Long live Zach, Retief, Roy, and all others who will flail the very air with their clubs until at last truth is restored to the world. And that truth is that on a given day, anyone can rise to the challenge and walk away with victory.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Study up on your quantum physics my friend. Or have you?

🔥 Latest posts