• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger, get a grip...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have always been a fan of Tiger, but am starting to become a critic of him. I am getting sick of seeing him throw his clubs. This shows little class to me. He did it twice on 18 yesterday, which to me overshadowed the putt he made to force a playoff. He just did it again on 11 today, which is only the 3rd hole I have been able to watch today. I am actually starting to hope that he loses. I am starting to see more and more comments by announcers that if they do not watch their commentary he will not grant interviews. Not counting his recent surgery, he is playing less and less events outside of majors.

I guess up to now I have just let it slide, but when I see people not keep their emotions in check and continuously throw golf clubs, I do not want to watch them play. Whether it be my weekend foresome, or the playoff in the US Open.

I don't know if these where the only instances, but in the 6-7 holes I have seen him play this week he has thrown his clubs 3 times. He needs to get a grip and show some respect. I am starting to lose a lot of respect for who he is becoming, even in light of his accomplishments.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
None of that bothers me tbh, bring back McEnroe, Nestase and the rest is what I say

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
It's not that I want Tiger to lose, I just want Rocco to win, but yeah, I know what you mean about the club throwing. For the World Number 1 you'd think he'd know better, especially when he's not meant to be playing his best after his injury.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I have always been a fan of Tiger, but am starting to become a critic of him. I am getting sick of seeing him throw his clubs. This shows little class to me. He did it twice on 18 yesterday, which to me overshadowed the putt he made to force a playoff. He just did it again on 11 today, which is only the 3rd hole I have been able to watch today. I am actually starting to hope that he loses. I am starting to see more and more comments by announcers that if they do not watch their commentary he will not grant interviews. Not counting his recent surgery, he is playing less and less events outside of majors.
When our children act like this, we call them spoiled or brats. Somehow when Tiger acts like this, people will defend him. :confused:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
But he isn't a child, netiher was John McEnroe. Its just what they do, its an example of what makes them tick. I really, really, have no problem with it, at all.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
What bothers me is that my son is a Tiger fan.

I used to be thrilled that my son would want to sit down and watch golf with me. Not so much anymore, knowing the example that he might be inclined to follow.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Blimey, you are hard to please. If my son wanted to go out and kill animals, beat up his mates or terrorise old women, I would be worried. Having a mini-tantrum on a golf course doesn't even register. Are you making something of nothing here? Its a golf course, no one I getting hurt, he is letting off steam. Look what happens in ice hockey, soccer, rugby, even cricket.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yeah, Brat is the first thought that came to my mind. Which sickens me even worse is on the breaks just following you see these adds with his father commenting that he brought him up to have one the the strongest mental games of anyone in the world. Kinda hard to believe when you can no longer control your emotions. Part of being able to keep your mental game in check is controlling your emotions immediately following with dropping the golf bag. Simply being able to get over it before the next shot is simply not enough.

To me that is a serious weakness and likely takes more restraint than simply being able to put it out of your mind 5 minutes later. To me he just seems to be reflecting that he is bigger than the game, and everyone should overlook all of his mental shortcomings if we still want to watch him. Personally I would rather not watch him if this is what we have to see.

If this were someone like Daly, or Sabatini, you know the announcers would comment and even ask him later after the round. But they simply go on praising him for the next shot.

... so Tiger, nice putt on 18, but what were you thing thinking back in the trap when you threw your club like a spoiled Brat?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, we all read these things differently. There are worse things in life he could do than throw a hissy on a golf course, each to their own though.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I agree. He knows cameras are everywhere and he should be able to refrain from saying "God damn it" after every poor shot. It's a terrible example.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
That bunker shot on 15, better than sex, i've creamed my keyboard

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
To me Dave., that is what separates a sport like golf and one like soccer~football. CLASS What comes in next, not calling a penalty on yourself or taking your ball out of a divot because you really wanna win.

Maybe if he is down one on 18 he can take a dive and say he only lost because of his knee and roll around on the ground until the ref gives Mediate a Red card. What harm was there when Sergio spit in the cup, he didn't hurt anyone.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Class, meaningless concept, means diddly squat. Are you equating a hissy fit with cheating? I think you are taking this to seriously, but I respect your right to do that, but to suggest Tiger has no class and would cheat because he gets annoyed is ludicrous.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
But he isn't a child, netiher was John McEnroe. Its just what they do, its an example of what makes them tick. I really, really, have no problem with it, at all.

FOOL. It pisses me right off. I get angry and throw a club every now and again (only since my mum died last year never did it as a junior or adult before her death)? When i do it I feel like I let myself down and have to appologise to my playing partners. Yesterday Tiger threw his club in the bunker straight after his shot, then he picked it up got out of the bunker and launched it at his bag again? He had played his shot and it was Westwood's turn to play, why should he have to wait for Tiger to get over his double temper tampram when he had the respect to stay still and quiet whilst Woods was preparing for and taking his shot?

On a side note are they actually showing Rocco's shots or just when he gets on the greens? Or has Tiger Woods TV featuring a Special guest as a one off. :)

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Class, meaningless concept, means diddly squat. Are you equating a hissy fit with cheating? I think you are taking this to seriously, but I respect your right to do that, but to suggest Tiger has no class and would cheat because he gets annoyed is ludicrous.
How is cheating so bad if Class and respect for the game are meaningless concepts??? They are both weaknesses in not being able to refrain from doing something you know is wrong and bad for the sport

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.