• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger is skipping the Mercedes because he needs "time off"

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
What the hell? Is it the PGA's fault that he just REAPS in silly-season cash and has to play every week from the Tour Championship until Christmas?

The Mercedes is going to have about the weakest field ever. Vijay, Appleby, Toms and that's about it. Mickelson doesn't play. Els didn't win. Goosen and Harrington are supposedly staying home.

This is guaranteed money with no cut and Mercedes pays for your lodging, transportation, and entertainment for you and your family while you are there. It's a week-long paid vacation in Hawaii.

Now I know Tiger doesn't need the money etc. I thought the same thing when Toms skipped it after wrist surgery. It's guaranteed money with no cut. Just play one-handed I said. Does it matter if he shoots 110 each round? He'd still collect $50,000 and have a paid week of vacation, in Hawaii, for him and his family.

A Mercedes without Tiger isn't really the season opener. I'm more looking forward to the Sony with Wie playing as a pro.

The guy plays 20 official events a year at best. That only leaves 32 weeks to find some "vacation time" in there. I think Tiger may need to take a reality check. Even if he took 2 months straight off, say 8 weeks, that only leaves him with 24 weeks to find some more vacation time!!!

One could only wish to have it so good.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I wasn't able to make it either, because I have to work!:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
In Tiger's defense, he does do alot of charity events, commercials, TV spots, work with his school, and does have a family (especially that hot wife of his:) ) to deal with on top of his golf, which wouldn't be an easy ride.

Sure, the guy jets everywhere, but it still takes a mental toll.

Plus, at the end of the tournament, even if he finishes 14th, who has the cameras in his face for hours afterwards? Sure, he invites it, but it's still wear and tear.

Personally, I wouldn't want to change places with him from a "work" standpoint. However, sharing a bed with Elin and hanging with Annika would be a nice change....:D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
This completely sucks but I find myself agreeing with Rockford again.

I think we sometimes forget that professional golfers are different than other professional athletes. They don't have huge contracts, they don't, for the most part, get paid to show up.

As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be under any obligation to play this or that tournament just because we want to watch them. Tiger isn't just a golfer, he's Tiger Inc. and sometimes has to make decisions that are in the best interest of that business.

I'm also with SDVM, I'll take his place too. But I mean with Elin. :p

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
DaveE said:
I'm also with SDVM, I'll take his place too. But I mean with Elin. :p

Once again, the price is one 460 Ti Launcher with a Graf Blue shaft in stiff for me not to show this to your wife! :D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
Once again, the price is one 460 Ti Launcher with a Graf Blue shaft in stiff for me not to show this to your wife! :D

R35

If I showed her a picture of Elin, even she would understand.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
ESPN hammered Tiger this afternoon about bowing out of the tournment.

Members online