• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger on Late Night with Conan O'Brien

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
A couple of nights ago, I couldn't sleep and stumbled into the den at about 11:30.

Conan O'Brien is coming on and I watch the monologue and wait to see who the guests will be....Tiger Woods.

So El Tigre comes on right after the break.

As he walks through the curtain - he looks....kind of - uncomfortable.

Wearing a tailored three button suit with two buttons fastened. He takes his seat. Unbuttons the coat as he sits.

And frankly he looked like he had not appeared in public very much. This was truly weird bc it appeared to me that Conan O'Brien does not play golf. I mean, when you see Tiger with a microphone in his face, you expect "all the usual questions" from CBS Sports, ABC Sports, ESPN and the Golf Channel.

And Conan did not ask those. There was a brief reference to the Ryder Cup and the rest was banter. I could tell that Conan was a little off base sitting with Tiger as well.

I have this on Tivo if you would like to see it....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Did he have his junk hangin' out? If he did, i'd like a still photo. That would be my new avatar.

Tiger. He coulda been playing the 84 Lumber Open. I mean, c'mon! Vijay is there....

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
What do you mean by junk?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
LOL!

er.....

His panis and the accompanying hardware. (relating to the short shorts thread I believe.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
What do you mean by junk?

Sorry. Must be a regional term.

I think Sling painted a pretty good picture there. Although, "panis" must be regional too. ;)

I was referring to your Alabama summer thread.

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
Sorry. Must be a regional term.

I think Sling painted a pretty good picture there. Although, "panis" must be regional too. ;)

I was referring to your Alabama summer thread.

R35

Remember this was my Vermont Summer thread. It continues elsewhere.

And no Tiger did not have his junk out.

He and Janet Jackson do not have that in common.

The man has class...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
The man has class...

I remember him bringing out the "MF" word at Ryder cup on multiple occasions.

Classy.

Hey, if he was golfing with me, no problem, but on national television, no chance. Did he call Conan an MF? (that would be sooo funny)

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I dont understand the double standard as it relates to him.

He curses like the rest of us on the course.

And people take him to task for it.

What about a hockey player? We used to have hockey here in the days of the World Hockey Association and I loved it. Went to many many games and they cursed all the time, smashing into the glass, slashing sticks.

Here is an excerpt from a local website about our WHA team:

Birmingham was in the Eastern Division with the Cincinnati Stingers, Indianapolis Racers, New England Whalers, Quebec Nordiques and St. Paul Fighting Saints. In the Western Division were the Calgary Cowboys, Edmonton Oilers, Houston Aeros, Phoenix Roadrunners, San Diego Mariners and Winnipeg Jets.

Longtime fans will recall goalies John Garrett and Wayne Wood, Tim Sheehy, Jim Turkiewicz, Richard Farda, Gavin Kirk, Rod Langway, Tom Simpson, Vaclav Nedomansky, Lou Nistico, Peter Marrin, Terry Ball, Jeff Jacques, Jean-Guy Lagace, Jean-Luc Phaneuf, Rick Cunningham and Dale Hoganson.

They also recall some of the most famous names in the game on visiting teams. Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull were two all-timers who had joined Mahovlich and Henderson in making the jump to the WHA. Attendance wasn't what Bassett hoped for, but the Bulls averaged almost 8,000 per game.

The Bulls got Hanson and Durbano from the Detroit Red Wings for Nedomansky and Sheehy, one of the first big trades between the leagues. Defensemen Pat Westrum and Brent Hughes and center Joe Noris were also added from other franchises folding.

This team would terrorize rinks around the WHA and set a major league hockey record for penalty minutes, breaking the record of Philadelphia's Broad Street Bullies of the NHL.

OK - so I have been to many more hockey games than you might imagine and these guys cursed a blue streak.

Never bothered me. It's part of sports.

So why do people hang Tiger Woods out to dry for it? Wayne Gretsky is known as a classy guy and you are telling me that the Great One never cursed on the rink?

And don't give me that crap about it being different from hockey...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I just think that golf is both and individual sport as well as traditionally known as a gentleman's game.

Sure, Tiger is the same as you and me. But it's his job as a professional to know there is a time and a place. Hockey players (myself being one) swear like crazy.

But, those guys you see swearing on television aren't role models. I'm sure guys like Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic have said their fair share of cuss words, but they'll never be caught swearing when the camera is right beside the bench. They know their roles. You're more apt to see a guy like Marty McSorely (whom i believe was given a bad rap with the Donald Brashear thing, but whatever) or Tie Domi swearing nonstop before one of the aforementioned guys.

I read an article a while back while waiting for a haircut that listed the top 10 people in professional sports (athletes) who are fined the most in a season. Tiger was hugely the leader for profanity. Apparently, if you mail the PGA, they can tell you everyone that is fined every tournament. It happens more than you think, but it's never announced. Tiger just pays up and keeps walking. Sure, he can aford it, but it just ticks me off to see him throw clubs and swear like crazy. if he did it from time to time, who cares. But everytime he's on the tube, BLEEP. Perfect.

I don't hate Tiger. Don't get me wrong. He's a great golfer. But I just can't look up to him like I can Ernie Els or Vijay Singh, or even Shigeki Maruyama. That guys rocks.

I'm not arguing this point with you. I'm just pointing out another angle that i'm trying to shed some light on.

Cheers,

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Interesting stat....

Tiger's longest drive of 2004 is 344 yards. Ernie Els is longer at 374. Vijay pumped one out 364.

You'd think that Tiger would be longer than these two guys. Huh. Interesting.

R35

🔥 Latest posts