• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger speculation

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I don't understand the need for Tiger to be coy about his injury. Taking questions about the knee, but not answering them was annoying and ridiculous. He could have taken the stand that he would not answer questions and made a statement at a future date. If it is to prevent his opponents from finding out, that's bunk. This isn't football. Clearly Tiger enjoys his "tough guy" image.

If he had arthroscopic surgery as was stated originally, it likely would have been a slight tear of a ligament, meniscus or cartilage. Probably could have played golf within a month or less. If he had a complete ligament tear (depending on which ligament), it would likely have been three months or six months, depending on the severity. It surprises me that the Golf Channel or NBC did not bring in an expert to outline what the injury might be and what the impact would be on a golfer.

I am familiar with hockey injuries and if the injury were of the three month "flavour", the athlete would likely be skating slowly after about four weeks. They would undergo a two-month rehab process to build stability and strength back into the joint and likely play again around the three month mark.

Tiger's injury does not fit either timetable and I can't speculate on the stress his left knee gets versus playing in an NHL game. The "action" would be limited to his golf swing, rather than contact, changing directions, skating, shooting, etc....

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Tiger has exemptions for years in all of the majors as a past champion, so he could show up and play those, think of Arnie and Jack playing the Masters long after they were finished on the PGA Tour.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Doesn't a win take care of this, also?

A win gets you exempt from qualifying for a PGA Tour card for two years. Majors and the players are five year exemptions. Top 125 on the Money List is one year. Plus there are Career Money List, Past Champion and many other partial and full exemptions.

The event minimum is how many a player must play to keep his card should he find a way to get exempt. There are exceptions made for injuries. The speculation that Tiger was playing the Buick Open was because he was going to have a hard time making the minimum.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I don't understand the need for Tiger to be coy about his injury. Taking questions about the knee, but not answering them was annoying and ridiculous. He could have taken the stand that he would not answer questions and made a statement at a future date. If it is to prevent his opponents from finding out, that's bunk. This isn't football. Clearly Tiger enjoys his "tough guy" image.

If he had arthroscopic surgery as was stated originally, it likely would have been a slight tear of a ligament, meniscus or cartilage. Probably could have played golf within a month or less. If he had a complete ligament tear (depending on which ligament), it would likely have been three months or six months, depending on the severity. It surprises me that the Golf Channel or NBC did not bring in an expert to outline what the injury might be and what the impact would be on a golfer.

I am familiar with hockey injuries and if the injury were of the three month "flavour", the athlete would likely be skating slowly after about four weeks. They would undergo a two-month rehab process to build stability and strength back into the joint and likely play again around the three month mark.

Tiger's injury does not fit either timetable and I can't speculate on the stress his left knee gets versus playing in an NHL game. The "action" would be limited to his golf swing, rather than contact, changing directions, skating, shooting, etc....

I think he is coy because he doesnt want the knee to be the issue. He would rather talk about the golf.

As for the injury. I have had my right knee scoped twice to trim cartilage and both times was back playing hockey within 5 weeks relatively pain free. My knee always hurt more golfing than playing hockey. You just dont put the same pressure on a knee playing hockey as you do trying to hit a golf ball hard. With that said though, Tiger seems to be in pain far beyond what a scope would cause especially considering how long ago the procedure was done. This is far more than that.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I think it's 50/50 whether that scenario will happen. He'll probably take a break until the Open Championships and re-evaluate every week. If progress isn't being made, he and his doctor might opt for the season-ending surgery.

We've always known injury would be the only thing that can stop Tiger. We also know that his swing would put most normal people in the hospital and wouldn't stand up to an injury very well. How horrible if that fist pump is what put him out of commission.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006

Sweet Caps Jersey in your sig. I was at game 7 against the Flyers this year. Go Ovie.

On to Tiger, I don't expect to see him again until the Brittish. What concerns me is the huge rash of degenerative knee issues in sports. Athletes who rely on repetitive motion are starting to come up with injuries that can't really be fixed. Like mentioned early his knee has bothered him for a long time. I'm worried that this could be something that derails him completely. I've seen it happen to some of my favorite athletes. My fandom brings a plague to my favorite athletes it seems. I hope this doesn't spread to Tiger.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Sweet Caps Jersey in your sig. I was at game 7 against the Flyers this year. Go Ovie.

On to Tiger, I don't expect to see him again until the Brittish. What concerns me is the huge rash of degenerative knee issues in sports. Athletes who rely on repetitive motion are starting to come up with injuries that can't really be fixed. Like mentioned early his knee has bothered him for a long time. I'm worried that this could be something that derails him completely. I've seen it happen to some of my favorite athletes. My fandom brings a plague to my favorite athletes it seems. I hope this doesn't spread to Tiger.

I agree, that normally, the type of injury we're seeing with Tiger usually takes out a wide-receiver for at least 1/2 a season if not the entire season. Basketball players always sit out a season or get red-shirted. I think the difference is Tiger doesn't have to run if he really doesn't want to. I mean, if he wants to be in his top physical condition, yeah, but it's not necessary for his game. So, I believe Tiger will eventually figure out a way to swing without as much power and still be highly competitive. That way he can continue his career.

Seriously, he doesn't need to drive it 365 on a Saturday during the Open, but he does. And that puts huuuge pressure on the guys he's playing with. Karrlson, had this childlike goofy smile on his face 1/2 the time from just watching Tiger hit the ball.

I really think he'll change things, or simply tone them down, so he can prolong his career. Either that, or he'll switch to lefty when he's 40!!

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I agree, that normally, the type of injury we're seeing with Tiger usually takes out a wide-receiver for at least 1/2 a season if not the entire season. Basketball players always sit out a season or get red-shirted. I think the difference is Tiger doesn't have to run if he really doesn't want to. I mean, if he wants to be in his top physical condition, yeah, but it's not necessary for his game. So, I believe Tiger will eventually figure out a way to swing without as much power and still be highly competitive. That way he can continue his career.

Seriously, he doesn't need to drive it 365 on a Saturday during the Open, but he does. And that puts huuuge pressure on the guys he's playing with. Karrlson, had this childlike goofy smile on his face 1/2 the time from just watching Tiger hit the ball.

I really think he'll change things, or simply tone them down, so he can prolong his career. Either that, or he'll switch to lefty when he's 40!!
Eventually he was going to have to rework his swing--maybe that will just happen earlier than expected. Should be interesting to see what changes there are, if any.

DaKineHawaiian

Jun 17, 2008
He'll be done for the season. But he'll be back for the fedex cup for sure. 10 million will make anyone come out of retirement. Even though the legend doesnt need it from his 100's of million dollar contracts, thats not the point. I swear he'll be back this season.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
He'll be done for the season. But he'll be back for the fedex cup for sure. 10 million will make anyone come out of retirement. Even though the legend doesnt need it from his 100's of million dollar contracts, thats not the point. I swear he'll be back this season.

The fed ex cup means less to Tiger than Lobster fest at the Keg.

He would never jeopardize his health for something as meaningless as the fed ex cup.

🔥 Latest posts