• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger still thinks he's the best player in the world

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Why wouldn't he? If you are going to compete at the level he competes at, you need to have an ego and supreme confidence in yourself. I would be more worried if he went out and did an interview and said "well, I'm just playing ok now. If I work really hard maybe I can get back to where I was...."

That's a Westwood answer! :)

OP
Grinder

Grinder

Nov 19, 2009
Why wouldn't he? If you are going to compete at the level he competes at, you need to have an ego and supreme confidence in yourself. I would be more worried if he went out and did an interview and said "well, I'm just playing ok now. If I work really hard maybe I can get back to where I was...."

That's a Westwood answer! :)

Agree Jim. That should be his response. I guess I was offering the (age old) discussion as to whether he's really at that point or not. IMO, he is closer, but not there. Should the word "yet" be used?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
IF Tiggy ever achieves W#1 again, it will be a hard road to get there, and he won't have it long IMHO. And no, I don't dislike him. I think his fall has shown everyone that he's actually human. Players are no longer wondering "can anybody beat him", their thinking "anybody CAN beat him".

My prediction is 1 or 2 wins this year, no majors, no W#1, regardless of whether he gets his swing back.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
IF Tiggy ever achieves W#1 again, it will be a hard road to get there, and he won't have it long IMHO. And no, I don't dislike him. I think his fall has shown everyone that he's actually human. Players are no longer wondering "can anybody beat him", their thinking "anybody CAN beat him".

My prediction is 1 or 2 wins this year, no majors, no W#1, regardless of whether he gets his swing back.

See, I tend to think that his work with Haney did more to harm his "aura" than anything. He was more crooked with the driver than ever and looked more "Human" than ever. Remember in 2005 against Dimarco at the Masters, he bogeyed the last 2 holes to let Dimarco into the playoff, not to mention getting outplayed by Yang at the PGA. You would have never seen that with the "Harman"'swing. Haney has hinted that Tiger didn't always listen to him and that's not all surprising either.

Grinder: yes I think at this point you still have to use "yet" but when I hear Tiger saying that he doesn't think he's the best then I will know he's done. Guys like him at his level always have a piece of themselves that still think they are the best. It wouldn't surprise me to hear That even Jack has a piece of him that still thinks he's the best.

harrison

Nov 3, 2010
I agree I think Tiger needs his confidence in order to regain his position as #1. Changing his stroke is no easy task unfortunately i'm sure it's taking a lot longer than he would like. But this past weekend at Doral he had some signs of greatness. I think that he still has it in him to be great again and I guess he sees it too.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I suppose two comments come to mind about this topic.

(1) The (pre-Elin break up) Tiger was an aberration. No one in the history of golf played the game as consistently as he did. To never miss a cut. To be top 5 (or thereabouts) in every tournament he played. IMO, it was his consistency that stood him apart from any other golfer. Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Miller, etc all had their golden wins but they would miss the cuts or finish middle of the field. The old Tiger never did that. The guy was a freak. His performance was unnatural to the game of golf. I knew it at the time but 99.9% of his followers seemed to take it for granted. The new Tiger is human (and still a very good golfer). The old Tiger was super-human and he's gone.

(2) When Tiger was No. 1 in the world, he was so far ahead of the rest because he won so often. Now, the No. 1 title is changing hands much more readily as the different golfers go through a rich vein of form; eg. Westwood, Kaymer, Donald. Now McIlroy is almost there. If Tiger did return to No. 1, it is likely only to be a short period that coincides with a period of good form.

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
Well, maybe Tiggers luck will change when he starts dating black women. That would change my luck...:mgw:

Canadriver

Nov 26, 2005
Being hopefull and confident is NOT the same as being egotistical and delusional! After all he has been through one would expect him to learn a lesson or two ... but it appears that he hasn't ... so he remains in the latter category rather than the former!

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I wouldn't count him out ever. He just shot the best (62) final round of his career. Doesn't sound like he's washed up to me.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I don't know if Tiger will ever be the old Tiger again. I don't kow if he'll get #1 again and if he does how long he'll be able to hold on. Also don't know if he'll ever tie/break Jack's record. I know today had to help the mojo bigtime though. At least he has something in recent memory to reference going into the rest of the season. This is where it all could start if he's going to achieve any of the above.

behing19

Mar 5, 2012
I predict he will win this week and at least 5 tournaments this week including one maybe two majors. The Masters would not surprise me one bit. He's been up at the top of the leaderboard quite a bit over the past year or so and doing that without his full game. He just shot the lowest Sunday round ever in his career and he finished second. All it would have taken this week is one more good round in there and he wins.......just wait he's back and #1 is going to be his again.

Benjamin Ehinger

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.