• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger using pain killers? legit?

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I thought i heard tiger say he was taking something for the pain. think it helped him keep it together down the stretch? (personally I think tiger can always keep it together, but also think that the pain killers helped big time to make it easier).

kinda begs the question of where you draw the line.( A dr.'s script isnt that had to come by think elvis).

I feel without a doubt that their use was justified, but think you also have to admit its better living thru modern chemistry. thoughts? additional info? i may not have the whole story straight as I have seen little news about it other than comments that he took ice and painkillers after the rounds.
Dont think he would pass a drug test right now tho.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Hadn't thought of this, but if the USGA knows he's using pain killers and doesn't check him, my initial uneducated reaction would be that it's unfair.

Hopefully anything he's using he cleared with them before the tourney started given he knew he'd probably need something before the weekend was up.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
From the way he made it sound, he was taking it during the rough. Because the guy mentioned adrenaline, and he said "uh, yeah that too" or whatever.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
No different to can of coke, which is loaded with caffiene

Come on Dave, Coca-cola is nothing like any opiate I've ever heard of or taken. Not that I think Tiger has some unfair advantage because he took something to dull the pain, he has an unfair advantage because he is Tiger.

But, whatever he is taking, its NOTHING like a Coke, seriously :biglol:

And if his surgeon or on site doc prescribed him something, what could the USGA do or not do? I guess I have no idea about the rules in such a situation.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Pain killers and sports usually don't mix. But I guess it wouldn't hurt golf that much. It just slows down your reaction time.

Our AAA Goalie let in 5 goals in the third after taking a couple Tylenol during the 2nd intermission, go figure.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Considering the physical condition of most of the golfers out there, I'd bet more than half of the field is on something every week due to their knee and back aches.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
My point was where do you draw the line? RedBull, where?

I see, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Of course, we see football, basketball players going back to the locker room for treatment during a game, all the time. Cortizone shots, pain killers. . .Its hard to say where to draw the line

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
At the moment drug testing on the PGA tour has no gone into effect yet. So there are no restricted substances yet. So Tiger has done nothing wrong. Besides they will test for performance enhancing drugs, most painkillers will still be allowed as they are in many other sports that drug test now.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think a drug that is taken to return a person to their normal state is dandy. Tiger is not normally coming off of knee surgery.

Members online