• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger vs. The Field 2009 Masters

Tiger or The Field to win the 2009 Masters?

• Tiger Woods

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • The Field

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Well, after Tiger's Bay Hill win this evening, is there any doubt?

Simple question:

To win the 2009 Masters; Tiger or The Field?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Picking the field. Was that an amazing putt? Yes, no doubt, but it was Bay Hill, not Augusta.

Will I be surprised if Tiger wins? No, not at all.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Picking the field. Was that an amazing putt? Yes, no doubt, but it was Bay Hill, not Augusta.

I am not judging Tiger on the putt alone. His putting was back for the first time in his comeback. His short game is as good as its ever been after 3 events post 8 month layoff. Some of his bunker play today was simply amazing. Irons and wedges are as accurate as they have ever been. But most importantly, his driving is as accurate as its been at any time in his career.

He is getting better every week. Unless someone plays completely out of his mind at Augusta and laps the field, I find it hard not to pick Tiger.

All those buying R9's at Golfsmith in hopes of Sergio winning the Masters better start looking for a better way to finance that credit card bill. :laugh:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Will I be surprised if Tiger wins? No, not at all.

My thoughts exactly! With Tiger in the field its pretty much a given his name will appear on the 1st page of the leaderboard. But I'm picking the field to win at the Masters. I think there are just too many other top notch guys who could win.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Oh, good grief guys!...LOL

Tiger played in a very weak field this week.....and beat a guy who folded like a cheap lawnchair in a tornado...LOL

Tiger made some great putts...and when he does that, I agree, he is almost unbeatable...

But whoo said his driving was good?

He got what? 8 fairways on Thursday? 9 on Friday? a 60% FIR over the tournament? tied for 51st in a weak field?

Those numbers will not work at Augusta...and he'll be in a field that doesn't bend over and vomit in his presence like O Hair did today.... (good grief, PLUS THREE OVER on the last day????)

Can he win this Masters? Most certainly...so can about 20 others.

I'll take the field.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Tough one. I'm not convinced his full swing is fully back. He might have found something down the stretch and get it working by Augusta, he might not. Looking forward to seeing it and think Phil and Retief will be in the mix.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I am thinking Padraig or Zach....

BTW- I ran into Zach a few months ago at the clubhouse.......and he is STILL driving his 2003 Ford Explorer.:laugh:

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Tiger wins about 25% of tournaments he enters. Maybe a little more. He is the favorite in any event he enters. I watched a ton of Bay Hill. Tiger did not have his A game going on. But he can grind his way to a decent round better than anyone around. The way Tiger won't win the Master is if he is not playing in the final group on Sunday.

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
i'll take Tiger, and it's not just because I want a new Avatar... :)

I think his whole comeback was planned to win the Masters. I think he's nearly there, and whats' most important to his game is how he putts. Right now he is putting great. Nobody on this board will deny that.

I think all the players saw that today, and he will hang around before the weekend, make a move on Saturday, and be in the hunt on Sunday, and win his first major with a come from behind win... i'll say he comes from 2 shots back on Sunday against Nick Watney, who is my "if Tiger doesn't win" pick.

A.

A.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Tiger needs a square driver he was all over the place this week....good job he has the ultimate back up with his 3 wood stinger. Will he be able to scramble as well around Augusta? Will he get away with 3 wood much around Augusta? I'll take the field I'm likeing the way Mickleson is playing with a smile on his face, The Paddy slam is still on and lets face it who won last year? Trev...don't fancy him again this year but he proved anybody in the field can win if he has his week.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
But whoo said his driving was good?

He got what? 8 fairways on Thursday? 9 on Friday? a 60% FIR over the tournament? tied for 51st in a weak field?

Those numbers will not work at Augusta....

I did. While the numbers will not say he was accurate, his misses were not as far off line as he has been in the past. A lot of first cut of rough misses, which at Augusta might as well be fairway. He is not fanning the ball way right which he had been doing the past few years and was avoiding the big trouble off the tee. Numbers will not tell you everything.

If he drives as good as he did at Bay Hill at Augusta, he will be hard to beat. Augusta is a whole heck of a lot more forgiving for drives not quite online than most other places. Their primary rough is like most places first cut. As long as Tiger keeps it out of the pine straw he will be very tough to beat.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Tiger wins about 25% of tournaments he enters. Maybe a little more. He is the favorite in any event he enters. I watched a ton of Bay Hill. Tiger did not have his A game going on. But he can grind his way to a decent round better than anyone around. The way Tiger won't win the Master is if he is not playing in the final group on Sunday.

29%, going into Bay Hill.

🔥 Latest posts