• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger withdraws from the British Open

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
4,620
26
I think it's about a 90% chance at this point that Tiger doesn't win another major. He isn't getting younger, and he's not playing at all while the best players in the world are getting better and better. I give him 10% because sometimes guys like Trevor Immelman win majors.
 

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
286
0
Gotta remember that guys can win majors well into their 40s.
If Tiger can figure out things in a year or two he might be able to get on track if he starts to play smart again.
 

BigJim13

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Aug 13, 2006
11,821
3,143
I am surprised, and I have to say I still don't believe the "injury" thing at all....
Anyway, Lyle would have won a lot of premium balls if people wouldn't have backed up on their "tiggy love"

]

Why? He's had this injury before and has had about 5 surgeries on that knee. I think its good for him to take some time off and get healthy.


I think it's about a 90% chance at this point that Tiger doesn't win another major. He isn't getting younger, and he's not playing at all while the best players in the world are getting better and better. I give him 10% because sometimes guys like Trevor Immelman win majors.

I'd bet on that. He can win at least one more by accident. I put the over under at 3 more majors though.


To bad he's not playing though, the British is a tough watch to begin with and without Tiger or Tom Watson stealing the shw....well ***yawn***
 

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
4,620
26
Why do Europeans get offended when we call it the British Open? Is it because it is not always in England? Or is it a, "we did it first so we don't have to specify" thing? I have the utmost respect for it but it just makes sense to differentiate it from the Us Open. UK Open, maybe?
 

BigJim13

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Aug 13, 2006
11,821
3,143
Why do Europeans get offended when we call it the British Open? Is it because it is not always in England? Or is it a, "we did it first so we don't have to specify" thing? I have the utmost respect for it but it just makes sense to differentiate it from the Us Open. UK Open, maybe?

Euros get offended alot, just mention that you think that Westwood wasn't a real #1 player. That will get some sparks flying! :)
 

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
1,096
1
It's not a question of being offended, just being correct. It's simply the name of the tournament. As for differentiating let's take a look at this "spot the difference" style competition.

A. The Open
B. The US Open

Shouldn't be too tricky, even for a Republican.

As for Westwood, we don't get offended, just raise our eyebrows, sigh and rejoice in that good 'ole special relationship.
 
OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
2,895
280
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #12
I'm sorry but I really do find ridiculous the fact someone actually complains about The British Open nd The Open, just like they do with Wimbledon (which is the tennis British Open anyway). Seriously, get over it! I think the name of "The Open" gives it such a snobby feeling, like if it was "The REAL Open", when seriously, as a complete outsider from the US or Europe, I'd rather watch the US. Open or Masters ten times before the British Open.

Oh, and by the way, I heard Tiger in an interview some days ago saying that he is still pursuing Nicklaus record, and people should remember the age Jack won his last major, that he is still young and will have enough time to win the remaining ones. It is true about the age, but times are very different right now, and competence is far beyond what Jack had to put up in those days....

Oh, and BigJim, I don't believe much about his injury regarding the biomechanics he uses and the way it has presented itself. I don't doubt there is an injury, I just think he makes the injury "bigger" when his game sucks and diminishing it when he's playing good. A psychological game that doesn't work for me at least. He took almost a year of last year, so there has been more than enough healing time. We had a workshop with Dr. Thomas Rosenberg (Tiger's Knee surgeon) a couple of months ago at work, and we had a long discussion about the technique used for the surgery and the real injury behind it (We even watch part of the video), and seriously, if what he says is true, there shouldn't be a lot of hassle around it.

I think the injury is up the frontal lobe (brain) rather than the cruciate ligament, and that's a much more difficult to repair :D
 

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
12,922
13,219
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I think it's about a 90% chance at this point that Tiger doesn't win another major. He isn't getting younger, and he's not playing at all while the best players in the world are getting better and better. I give him 10% because sometimes guys like Trevor Immelman win majors.

There are many great sticks on Tour. The two things that gave TW an edge were the intimidation factor and his flat stick. When he burst on the scene, players had to get better... and did. His early success, however, intimidated many pros. Today, that intimidation factor is gone. These guys know they can play just as well as TW can... and do.
TW could seem to will balls into the cup with his putter. He didn't get to the green any sooner. Once on the green, he got it into the hole. As he's attempted to come back from "shanksgiving', the ball is not falling. Doubt has crept into his mind and the ball is not listening to his ESP.
He will NOT regain the intimidation factor. There have been too many tourneys played without him... or without him in the hunt. He could regain some semblence of his old putting stroke. I just don't think it will ever be as sharp as it once was.
Will he win another major? Flip a coin. He could get hot for one tournament and post some good numbers.... just like any other player at that level can. Will he beat Jack's major record? Nope! He won't catch Jack's wins and he sure as heck won't catch Jack's runnerup numbers.
Honestly, I look for him to make one more run at playing. If he doesn't win in the first couple of tourneys, he will retire from the game. I don't believe "Monday qualifying" is in his vocabulary.
 

shep3470

Well-Known Member
Apr 5, 2009
271
0
Omaha, NE
I don't believe "Monday qualifying" is in his vocabulary.

Do you really think he would ever have to Monday qualify? He would get sponser exemptions just to get more spectators to the course. But I agree, he would retire long before he became non-exempt on tour.
 

BigJim13

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Aug 13, 2006
11,821
3,143
Forget Monday qualifying, he has enough wins in regular events and majors to be exempt for asong as he wishes to okay.

Will he break Jack's record? Flip a coin. Will he win another major? Yes.
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top