• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger withdraws from the British Open

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
The Scottish Open starts today (or Northern British Open if you prefer) at the new Castle Stuart links. Don't know how much is shown across the pond but it's a tidy course and worth a peek if you get the chance.

Good idea to have it at a links venue, however beautiful Loch Lomond is, I'm sure the pros appreciate getting a feel for the different demands in the lead up to....errrr...next week at Royal St George's.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
1. I like The Open, always have. It's a different game than is played here in America, and I really enjoyed the days when a certain American named Tom Watson would bring The Open trophy home after playing in grueling conditions that most Americans wouldn't tolerate.

2. I like The Open better this year without TW playing in it. IMHO golf is simply more fun to watch on TV without him. Yes, I'd love to follow him in person on a few holes and see his A game, but even then I'd go elsewhere to watch others. Golf is not TW, TW is simply a golfer.

3. I call it The Open out of respect for those whose tournament it really is, just as I respectfully expect The Europeans to call our tournament The US Open. What's the big deal?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I call it The Open out of respect for those whose tournament it really is, just as I respectfully expect The Europeans to call our tournament The US Open. What's the big deal?

It's not a big deal, but it bothers me too. THE Open sounds arrogant for one and also, it's too vague..."What Open?"..."The British Open"...."Oh, you mean, THE Open".

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
1. I call it The Open out of respect for those whose tournament it really is, just as I respectfully expect The Europeans to call our tournament The US Open. What's the big deal?

Why would it be disrespectful to call it The British Open? How would you call the US Open then? The name of US Open is descriptive enough for avoiding any confusion. Just like The Players Open, but The Open does have a vague thing behind it. ITs just not complicating yourself, its about simplicity. I don't find attractive the fact of \ thinking naming things differently will give it more class, and the more complicated you make it, the more sophisticated it is. In tennis, you play The US Open (The Australian Open works here as well). Descriptive enough. But the European Opens, the French and British, have to have names like Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

I understand the fact you give your tournament a name (for recognition, or sponsorship issues, etc), and I don't mind other people calling it The Open if they want to, but I think is ridiculous to feel you're being disrespectful for not calling it what it is, which is the open played in Great Britain, or British Open.

By the way, I love the BRITISH Open, its always lots of fun (although I have to admit last year's wasn't that good. The Royal Saint Andrews course really doesn't suit TV viewers I think), let's hope we get a finish round as we had in Augusta this year and not as wehad in the US Open...

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Well perhaps if people stopped incorrectly referring to it as the British Open then the confusion would disappear. Just a thought. As I tried to demonstrate earlier it's not terribly complex, even for the less gifted among us.

Arrogance is changing the name of something because it's suits your way of thinking and not a golf tournament maintaining it's original name.

As for the amusing tennis analogy, The French Open is played at Roland Garros and Wimbledon is Wimbledon because that's what is was chosen to be called 100+ years ago. Whatever any of you choose to call it yourselves is irrelevant. They are what they are and have been before any of us were born and will be long after we are gone.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I could really care less who calls it what. They can call it "The King of All Opens-All Others Suck" for all that I care.

If you google "US Open" the first link takes you to the tennis website.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
And being from the U.S when I hear the word football I think of players in pads beating the living piss out of each other, not running around kicking a ball and faking injuries when they don't even get touched.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
And being from the U.S when I hear the word football I think of players in pads beating the living piss out of each other, not running around kicking a ball and faking injuries when they don't even get touched.

Have you seen the new sportscenter commercial poking fun at this? It is hilarious.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Well perhaps if people stopped incorrectly referring to it as the British Open then the confusion would disappear.

Tell the dolts on the BBC to stop calling it the USPGA then... same diff

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Well, at least is not as difficult as here in Australia: There is the real football (soccer), the Australian Rules, the Rugby Union and the Rugby League, and they are all called "football" or the more horrible slang "footy".

🔥 Latest posts